Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • British soldiers killed by Afghan police
  • noteeth
    Free Member
    nickc

A UK military spokesman said: "One individual Afghan National Policeman, possibly in conjunction with another, went rogue.

Really. WTF are we doing here? We're supporting politically a corrupt, dictator that almost half the Afghan population don't want or support, we're caught in essentially a civil war, that's being sold to the public as a fight against terrorism.

Time to Go

starseven
    Free Member

Bring em all home, give em jobs on border control.

binners

We'll be leaving with our tails between our legs at some point. Its when, not if. Might as well do it now and stop the pointless waste of life

hora
    Free Member

A Soviet General said they should have read Kipling before the Russians decided to go to Afghanistan.

Brown (bangs head against the wall) said this week (after Abdullah Abdullah pulled out of the run off saying it wouldnt be fair)

"now we can move forward and combat corruption"

You idiot.

binners

We've exported our own particular brand of democracy. After all:

Brown was elected as PM by who exactly? The members of his own party didn't even vote for him. And the person who's really pulling the strings – Mandy – isn't even an elected MP!!!

hora
    Free Member

Then theres the Peace envoy who started two wars (Mr Blair).

surfer
    Free Member

Brown was elected as PM by who exactly?

We dont elect PM's we vote for MP's

binners

A fair point. But we've essentially had a prime minister foisted on us. Brown would never win a 'free and fair' election and he knows it!

I was just illustrating that we're in no position to be lecturing other people on Democracy

I agree with NickC, the British Army should just blitz the suspected Al Quaida training camps, level the poppy fields (the Taliban's main source of income) and get the hell out of Afghanistan.

Too much taxpayer's money has been wasted. Too many British soldiers have died.

AndyP
    Free Member

SUPERIMPOSED CAPTION: 'AND NOW . . . UNOCCUPIED BRITAIN 1970'
    Cut to colonel's office. Colonel is seated at desk.
    Colonel Come in, what do you want?
    Private Watkins enters and salutes.
    Watkins I'd like to leave the army please, sir.
    Colonel Good heavens man, why?
    Watkins It's dangerous.
    Colonel What?
    Watkins There are people with guns out there, sir.
    Colonel What?
    Watkins Real guns, sir. Not toy ones, sir. Proper ones, sir. They've all got 'em. All of 'em, sir. And some of 'em have got tanks.
    Colonel Watkins, they are on our side.
    Watkins And grenades, sir. And machine guns, sir. So I'd like to leave, sir, before I get killed, please.
    Colonel Watkins, you've only been in the army a day.
    Watkins I know sir but people get killed, properly dead, sir, no barley cross fingers, sir. A bloke was telling me, if you're in the army and there's a war you have to go and fight.
    Colonel That's true.
    Watkins Well I mean, blimey, I mean if it was a big war somebody could be hurt.
    Colonel Watkins why did you join the army?
    Watkins For the water-skiing and for the travel, sir. And not for the killing, sir. I asked them to put it on my form, sir – no killing.

haddock
    Free Member

Horas right, if the might of the Soviet Red army couldn't control the place, what chance do our under equipped soldiers have? How can they fight a war when the Rules of Engagement are based on our idealistic human rights legislation?
    Pointless.

hora
    Free Member

The Soviets had over 100,000 on the ground at their peak and of course there was the interference of the CIA (arming the Muhajadeen). If you want to 'win' (quell the extremists/inter-tribal fighters etc) I fear the only way to do this is Chechnya-style 🙁

I remember seeing various footage of Soviet tanks/halftracks/trucks being blown up remotely/by landmines- it chillingly looks familiar to IEDs of today.

5thElefant
    Free Member

We didn't do very well last time we tried it (when we were the most powerful empire in the world). It's beyond me how anyone could think it could be done now.

allthepies
    Free Member

+1 nickc

Enough.

hora
    Free Member

5thElefant – Member

We didn't do very well last time we tried it (when we were the most powerful empire in the world). It's beyond me how anyone could think it could be done now.

Its part of the 'war on terror'.
    I actually think its "control and manage your own population through manipulation and fear of the Wolves outside your door"

chris23
    Free Member

Have to agree with mike, far to many lost lives, and the amount of money being spent is unbeliveable. The amount of investment that I saw was mind blowing. We won't be leaving for a long time.

PS
    Mike thanks for making such a great frame (Love/hate) was 1 of things I was looking forward to coming home to during my tour

5thElefant
    Free Member

Its part of the 'war on terror'.
    I actually think its "control and manage your own population through manipulation and fear of the Wolves outside your door"

Well, yes, I appreciate they're not trying to win. We've got 350 nukes, if we really had to win we could do it by tea time.

hora
    Free Member

We won't be leaving for a long time.

Yes we will. The amount of UK deaths is picking up isnt it. I give it another year MAX.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yes we will. The amount of UK deaths is picking up isnt it. I give it another year MAX.

Only if the Americans leave too. I can't see it otherwise.

jonb
    Free Member

How are we supposed to win a war when we don't even know who's on which side?

Chris23, glad you made it home safely and thanks for the comments on the frame (which pales into insignificance really when compared to what you guys are risking out there in Afghanistan and Iraq).

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

I remain convinced that we're not there because of any ideal like imposing democracy and lets be honest Abdullah Abdullah is probably as corrupt as Karzai.

Far better the devil you know, especially when you're embroiled in a sh!t storm on the ground with your big brother in arms, the US of A.

I dare say the Russians are probably getting a little pay back for the 80's too by supplying some of the insurgents with weapons and ammo.

Whatever the aim of this particular game is I think we'll have troops there for some time.

hora
    Free Member

s I think we'll have troops there for some time.

How though? This isn't Northern Ireland. This isn't the Balkans or Falklands either. We dont have any UK people living there, plus in the Balkans our troops werent being targeted and killed by insurgents were they? I really don't think we will be there for long. There will be a gradual troop withdrawal along with positive stories planted in the press and a sham-handover to the Afghans to cover ourselves.

Isn't it true that the recruits only join the Afghan Police has they can't find any jobs elsewhere? Hardly indicative of a bright and sunny future.

singletrackmatt

Isn't it true that the recruits only join the Afghan Police has they can't find any jobs elsewhere? Hardly indicative of a bright and sunny future.

Without wanting to offend and one here, What do you think you'd find in the average UK foot soldier? A lot of people I knew from School were going to stay out of the trouble they were alreay in the UK and the rest of them wanted a chance to fire guns at stuff.

I do think we should get out though for the innocent Afghani's killed as much as Uk Soldiers- A pointless death is a pointless death and has no bearing on race or religion.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I have a bit of inside knowledge in this (can't go into details i'm afraid) – unless something changes dramatically then we are there for at least the next ten years in one form or another.

hora
    Free Member

What I don't 'get' is the constant peddling of the same message by Brown. Does he actually believe/trust what he is saying?

kimbers

What I don't 'get' is the constant peddling of the same message by Brown. Does he actually believe/trust what he is saying?

er hes a politician justifying a war

you expect him to be honest?!

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Its awful, We should not be there, my heart goes out to all our Armed forces over there and all the Service men & their families that have been killed or injured. Why the hell are we fighting for Afghanistan, I thought they attacked to get rid of Bin laden and the terrorist camps run by the Tali ban. It hasn't stopped terrorist attacks has it, in fact they have escalated.

kimbers

its something to do with getting the job done

after the taliban had been kicked out of government we were obliged to replace it with something more pro-western, that doesnt seem to be very easy

legalise opium buy it from australia then the taliban cant pay for the war, doesnt most of the opium get sold to us in the uk anyway? we are essentially funding our enemies

from what i read about the killings in the OP part of the problem is that the taliban pay much better than the afghan police

Olly
    Free Member

How can they fight a war when the Rules of Engagement are based on our idealistic human rights legislation?

my sentiment exactly.

another oppertunity for the "Nuke the site from orbit" motivational poster, but ill spare you the bandwidth.

surfer
    Free Member

Brown would never win a 'free and fair' election and he knows it!

I was just illustrating that we're in no position to be lecturing other people on Democracy

Well your not as you still don't understand how ours (UK) works

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well your not as you still don't understand how ours (UK) works

I seems to me that binners does understand how it works. He said quote, "The members of his own party didn't even vote for him". Obviously binners understands like most people in this country, that the normal protocol is for the elected leader of the largest party in parliament to be chosen as PM. This did not happened in the case of Gordon Brown.

Furthermore, it is an accepted protocol that if the governing party changes it's leader and there are still several years to go before a general election, then an early general election is called. Gordon Brown appeared at first to acknowledge that he would need to call general election, but then changed his mind because he wasn't certain that he would win.

All of which, hardly provides the moral authority to preach democracy to others.

I reckon binners understands how democracy works surfer …… do you ?

hora
    Free Member

I remember as a kid the Harrier pilot chasing down the Pucara. I rememeber Simon Weston. Why dont we hear about him anymore? I remember the desperate situation, miles away from home. How outmanned and how close we were. Our backs were against the wall.
    STWer's slag off Magaret Thatcher. No she was no angel however she had more balls and never found 'religion' after leaving power like some idiots.

Those were my heroes growing up. I think we have entered a period of flux, the armed forces in the middle with Politicians who really dont have a clue what they are doing. That is true.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

I remember as a kid the Harrier pilot chasing down the Pucara. I rememeber Simon Weston. Why dont we hear about him anymore? I remember the desperate situation, miles away from home. How outmanned and how close we were. Our backs were against the wall.
    STWer's slag off Magaret Thatcher. No she was no angel however she had more balls and never found 'religion' after leaving power like some idiots.

Those were my heroes growing up. I think we have entered a period of flux, the armed forces in the middle with Politicians who really dont have a clue what they are doing. That is true.

Hear hear. I was pretty young when the Falklands was on but I remember it well.

I think that the public should support the service men and women no matter how misguided their mission handed to them by the un-elected idiots. Perhaps we can get some real leaders one day soon?

SSP

tankslapper
    Free Member

Well said Hora – we had some form of pride in this country under Thatcher warts and all

Blair/Von Brun have swapped N.I.(still not resolved) for Afghanistan
    Paid off the bankers, but at least they're not screwing miners – no its the postal service. For a shower of ++++ that said they'd be better we're a deal worse for it. Nuclear power / disarmament anyone? No, didn't think so….

Original OP – crying shame RIP 😥

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

we had some form of pride in this country under Thatcher warts and all

Blair/Von Brun have swapped N.I.(still not resolved) for Afghanistan

Indeed Slapper, and Thatcher did a particularly good job in Northern Ireland.

If only John Major's government had persisted with Thatcher's "flagship Northern Ireland policy" of forcing broadcasters to use actors to do voice-overs every time Gerry Adams spoke, peace would have come so much quicker.

Because as everyone knows the Provisional IRA were about to surrender, when the broadcasting restrictions on Gerry Adams voice was lifted.

Financing, arming, and training, Al-Qaeda, was another of Thatcher's stroke of genius…………gawd bless'er.

tyger
    Free Member

One of the soldiers killed today has his young children at my friends school and the Headmistress had to inform the school – such a sad, sad loss. Needless to say his children were distraught.

tankslapper
    Free Member

If only John Major's government had persisted with Thatcher's "flagship Northern Ireland policy" of forcing broadcasters to use actors to do voice-overs every time Gerry Adams spoke, peace would have come so much quicker.

You loose anyone in the troubles ernie?

You know its a bit rich when people harp on about wanting murderers like Adams and McGuinness to be allowed to speak then horror of horror abhor Nick Griffin speaking on the beeb – I abhor him as well, but why do people get so vocal about not allowing him to speak?

There appears to be no humanity in any politics

backhander
    Free Member

Not that I doubt you ernie, could you give a reference for Thatcher supporting AQ please.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘British soldiers killed by Afghan police’ is closed to new replies.