• This topic has 52 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hels.
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • british airways… economy or premium economy?
  • NZCol

Air NZ to LA in premium economy – business food service etc in different seats. Essentially budget business as opposed to better economy. Same for us, we always fly premium (lifes too short in my opinion) plus we both fly for work all the time so Gold Elite dontchaknow hence we get upgrades – last year we flew NZ to LHR business for 1/4 of the price as we paid for Premium – happy days ! Except i was hungover by the time I got to Honkers true to form.

tonyg2003

WTP is OK but how much better it is over economy depends on how busy the flight is. Busy flight, yes WTP, quiet flight economy is fine. Also a lot depends on who you are next too.

I’ve flown BA long haul economy, WTP, Club and First in the last couple of months. The best flights/ sleep did not relate particularly where I was seated.

jambo13
    Free Member

If you are planning on going Premium Economy, it can be worth waiting to see if they email you an upgrade offer, or if one is available at the airport; I *think* it normally works out cheaper than buying them in the first place, it’s been around £150pp per flight….

Obviously you do run the risk though of PE being full, and no upgrades available…

I’m 6ft 6 and found BA PE to be a lot more comfortable than regular cattle class; I actually have a little bit of space for my legs rather than hoping the person in front isn’t going to recline their seat too much.

I personally find BA Cattle Class has a tiny little bit more legroom than Virgin, though I’m comparing a BA 747 to a Virgin Airbus and I think it depends more on the type of plane. Being my size and flying semi regularly for work I tend to be a bit sad and take note of these things.

And whatever you do don’t fly Monarch airlines… EVER! I think terrorists being extradited to Guantanamo Bay have more leg room than the average Monarch customer who all obviously work in Willy Wonkas chocolate factory! I had to sit on the floor on the way back from one ski trip as I physically didn’t fit. Bunch of bar stewards….

Have a nice honeymooon!

dantsw13

Since about 3 months ago, the main meals served in WTP are the same as the club meals. Everything else is the same as economy, but the contents of the china dish on your tray is the same as club – with a choice too 🙂

Dibbs
    Free Member

My boss is taking the family (I think he said 5 in total) to the USA next month he said it was £1500 extra for the Premium and he thinks it’s worth it for the extra legroom and comfort.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

dantsw13, intrigued. Not flown WTP for a few months (only Club or WT on my most recent trips) so that’s a good sign.

konabunny
    Free Member

Is this a new way of taking the pith?

No, it’s been around for ages.

iamtheresurrection

Flew to Vegas economy for work which confirmed that more than 5 hours in economy is too much for me (I just can’t get to sleep on flights). Upgraded to Premium Economy for $300 at the airport for the return (BA), I’d say if there are two of you and you get the window seats then it’s definitely worth it…

It wasn’t the Business Class menu, but it’s a tiny part of the plane and the service is constant and much better than economy…

boblo
    Free Member

Or…. how about… Book WTP and use airmiles to upgrade to Club? I’ve just booked LHR-Washington-Seattle-LHR for less than £1k, Club both ways doing this.

Another option, fly out from a Euro destination instead of LHR (the flight will bring you straight back to LHR to meet the plane you would have taken) and the Club cost will be half LHR direct. A nice way to start a honeymoon.

You’ll need a cheap flight to Paris/Amsterdam/Brussels/whatever and remember to check only as far as LHR on the return (i.e. don’t go back to your Euro starting point get off at LHR). This is a very well know way of flying First for less than full fare Club or Club at a cost that becomes almost ‘reasonable’.

Book it through the BA call centre.

GJP
    Free Member

Another option, fly out from a Euro destination instead of LHR (the flight will bring you straight back to LHR to meet the plane you would have taken) and the Club cost will be half LHR direct. A nice way to start a honeymoon.

Technically this is breach of contract :(. But more pragmatically, I would expect people on honeymoon to have through checked hold baggage. Can you check-in just for the first flight on your return.

BA used to have revenue protection executives stop people checking in for Concorde at LHR when they had bought a Paris-New York ticket (no doubt pre self service ckeck-in) 😆

boblo
    Free Member

GJP – Member

Technically this is breach of contract :(. But more pragmatically, I would expect people on honeymoon to have through checked hold baggage. Can you check-in just for the first flight on your return.

BA used to have revenue protection executives stop people checking in for Concorde at LHR when they had bought a Paris-New York ticket (no doubt pre self service ckeck-in)

Well technically it can’t be if you embark in the Euro city on your ticket otherwise they’d make all passengers fly from LHR (which is daft). You can break your journey on the return and check in just to LHR (within the rules), you just choose not to use the LHR-Euro portion of your ticket. I’ve been flying this way for ~20 years. The bods at the Geordie call centre are well aware and will price it. You used to have to go through the Euro call centre to book but it’s now in the NE.

As for Concorde, if you have a starting destination of Paris and try and board at LHR, that’ll be the problem. BA used to have a Paris-LHR-NY-LHR-Paris ticket, Concorde one way, Club back for ~£1500. We took it for a treat doing what I outlined above.

Nothing against the rules in you choosing where you start your travel from so long as that’s where your ticket starts too.

globalti
    Free Member

DON’T use BA, they are the greediest cheekiest airline going. They charge too much for their tickets in the hope that some passengers will believe they are better than their competitors.

AF/KLM every time for me.

hels
    Free Member

Virgin Atlantic have the worst food I have ever encountered on an airplane. Good choice of films tho.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘british airways… economy or premium economy?’ is closed to new replies.