Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Britain and Snow
  • molgrips
    Free Member

what make’s us different in the way we react to snow!

Do you:

1) use winter tyres?
    2) shovel or otherwise clear the path near your house?
    3) own a truck with a snowplough on the front?
    4) get out and shovel anywhere else it’s needed?
    5) always make contingency plans for bad weather between November and March includive?
    6) just accept that there’s going to be snow disruption and not make a big deal when it happens?

Does your employer:

7) have a snow or bad weather policy so you don’t get fired if you don’t snow?
    8) make sure you can still do your job in bad weather?

Do business near you:

9) own and operate snow clearing equippment in their car parks and premises?

Does your council:

10) spend millions of taxpayers money on a continuous round the clock snow plouging and moving and disposing operation all winter long – not just with road snowploughs but snow shifting devices of every size and application?

Cos that’s what snowy countries do. 1) and 2) are legal requirements in some places.

There IS always a couple of days disruption in snowy countries, just as there’s always a couple of days here. Just figure out how to deal with it instead of whining about it.

In our hilly street the only other person besides us to lift a finger to clear snow or do anything useful was the chap from three doors up who’s from Zimbabwe. So it’s not about being ‘used to it’, it’s about showing some bloody initiative and being useful.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“For the number of days when we actually get snow, I suspect it’s just cheaper to put up with a bit of disruption than have everyone switch to snow tyres. It’s not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things. “

Ok i get it. Keep off the roads while those of us who have forethought to prepare can go about life as normal

signed – the general thinking public.

as for lease cars …. no winter tires – no drivey , HSE policy and all that – and i know someone whos taken that quite far in Scottish and southern energy when they were told to drive somewhere in their company car in winter.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

For the number of days when we actually get snow, I suspect it’s just cheaper to put up with a bit of disruption than have everyone switch to snow tyres. It’s not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Fair enough with snow tyres, but winter tyres last all winter (ie when its below 7 deg C)

maxtorque

I’m more than happy for everyone to have a pop at my BMW’s inability to move out of it’s own way when it’s snowy (except it’s the driver, not the car, and my one has got me everywhere i’ve wanted to go in all conditions) just as long as i can reciprocate and complain bitterly about all those hopeless FWD cars holding me up at junctions and roundabouts as they vainly spin their front wheels and loll all over the road like a dog sniffing out a track, at the slightest sign of any moisture on the roads for the OTHER 360 days in the year…….

(i’m also entering that into “this years longest sentence” 2013 award)

l-)

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Britain and Snow’ is closed to new replies.