• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by egb81.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bristol! Things to do advice please…
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’m taking my cameras on the train to Bristol tomorrow morning for three days. Any advice on must dos and avoids?
    Also any hotel advice?

TIA.

nickjb
    Free Member

Walk round the floating dock. Heaps to see. Obvious stuff like m shed and ss great Britain plus loads of hidden gems. A few boat yards, old boats, Brunels original swing bridge, underfall yard, aardman studios. There will be all sorts of people about too if that is your thing.

Sandwich

Take a wander up to Clifton and the bridge. Hotel wise the Berkley Square is good in that part of the world. The others in the chain are a bit basic but slightly cheaper.

thepublican
    Free Member

There are walking guided tours of Banksy (and others) finest spray can efforts.

Great view of Bristol from Cabots tower, and it’s free.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

What kind of thing do you want to photograph? Cabot tower, Cumberland basin towards the suspender bridge, Ashton court are good for views.
    there’s plenty of old buildings in the centre of town if that’s your thing (King street having a number of old pubs to admire / frequent)
    as above, the floating harbour and surrounding area for historic industrial stuff.
    as for hotels there are a few Marriots in the centre of town or if you’re feeling flush I’d recommend the Hotel-Du-Vin

jekkyl

if ypu’re looking for cool places to photograph….
    The arnos vale graveyard..

also just a relaxing and interesting place to visit.

Home

doris5000

Gloucester road – start with a mooch up stokes croft (grab some food in one of the poncy / nice cafes etc) then just walk straight up that road for about a mile and a half until you get bored of shops, pubs, cafes, random points of interest 🙂

Bristol hotels always seem to be booked up whenever i look, so crack on with that!

Pigface
    Free Member

For photos Totterdown will have some interest, Temple Meads has some interesting architecture, there is a lot of murals/graffiti around Rupert Street.

egb81
    Free Member

Head up to the Suspension Bridge then over to Leigh Woods, which is where most of the mountain bike trails are (tap up a local for info re. off piste riding) then head down to either the Portcullis in Clifton or any of the pubs on the docks for a pint or three, stumbling back into town via the Bag o Nails for a half.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Ta for all this chaps.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Go to Bambalan for 2/3 pint of Pale Ale. 🙂

No.1 Harbourside is worth a visit – excellent beer selection and not bad food.

egb81
    Free Member

The Small Bar on King St serves in 2/3 pints. Good beer but stupidly pretentious.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bristol! Things to do advice please…’ is closed to new replies.