Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bristol BikeFest
  • Buzzard
    Free Member

Hi STW massif

couple of questions for the 12hr solo next weekend.

What are conditions looking like? Is there a mandatory time for lights (cannot imagine there would be but checking)? Good options for food post race or should I bring something? Beer tent? on site water?

Any other advice for a newbie?

Thanks

clubber
    Free Member

On Monday it was completely dry (apart from a couple of small puddles).

Rain between now and then could totally change that – last Thursday it was slippy as hell since there was a layer of mud on the top of hard earth.

I’ve never used lights at the 12 but if the weather’s bad or it’s very cloudy, they might be useful towards the end when under the trees (ie a lot of the course!)

I’m pretty sure there’s beer and food at the party on Saturday night. Water is also available but I always bring my own too.

Advice? Bring lots of food, water, shade (if it’s looking sunny), changes of kit and just enjoy it – it’s a great course and there’s a great atmosphere. Push any wannabe racers who try and barge past at inopportune times into the bushes (I should point out that this is very unusual at the BBF!)

See you there!

tim41
    Free Member

Race finishes at 9. It can get a bit dingy in the woods for the last lap but I’ve never needed lights.
    Catering van was OK last year. Baked spuds, chilli etc.
    Beer tent yes.
    Water on site yes – but in a bowser not mains iirc. We always bring plenty with us.

nicks
    Free Member

the water tasted like plastic a few years ago so take plenty, i have never needed lights there but it has always been sunny !!

take it easy at the start as it is easy to get involved in the team race!!

good luck

see you there

nick s

MrAgreeable

I’d ask nearer the time about conditions. Last year it was absolutely bogging the weekend before – here’s a shot of us working on the trail –

…but come race day it was bone dry! That said the course is largely unsurfaced so bring a pair of mud tyres in case.

It’s on top of a hill and heat, wind and dust can all be a problem. Re the race itself, the singletrack is rooty, rocky and fun. There are a couple of drawn-out climbs which are good places to pass or be passed by people. The course is usually marked out the night before if you fancy a quick preview.

Buzzard
    Free Member

Awesome – Thanks all

GaryLake
    Free Member

It’s looking like a dry one but anything can change in two weeks. I rode part of the course last night and it’s not bad considering the rain we’ve had in the last few days.

If it is wet – the amount of wet roots and rocks are a bigger challenge than the actual mud IMO and I always favour a tyre that can cope with that instead – if it’s good in the mud too then bonus.

My mud tyres are Trailrakers and they’re shite on wet roots so they don’t get used.

clubber
    Free Member

Hmmm I wouldn’t say that trailrakers are bad on roots or rock – not like Conti Survivals, say..

Bonty Mud Xs are brilliant though – not quite as good in the mud as the trailraker but all around definitley better – even in the dry at the weekend they were flying along where trailrakers start to get sketchy.

GaryLake
    Free Member

clubber: I find they’re fine for rear wheel traction but I find the front deflects really badly… apples and oranges 🙄

clubber
    Free Member

I blame the rider 🙂

Candodavid
    Free Member

I gather Double Fighters front and rear is not a good choice at present?? :mrgreen:

ransos
    Free Member

I’m with Gary – Trailrakers are useless on the wet roots around the Bikefest course.

Forecast is generally fine for the next few days, so unless we have rain on the actual day, I think it’ll ride ok.

MrAgreeable

Of course, it would help sort out any sloppy sections if as many people as possible could come along to the trail day on Saturday. 😉

http://www.bristoltrailsgroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41

There will be food and prizes too if the warm glow of altruism isn’t enough. 🙂

GaryLake
    Free Member

I blame the rider

I survived the CLIC24 on 2.1 high rollers! 😛

I just don’t think trailrakers are worth the penalty on fireroad and stuff either…

clubber
    Free Member

I agree – that’s why I’m so impressed with the Mud X – seems to do everything (BBF type stuff at least) brilliantly.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bristol BikeFest’ is closed to new replies.