Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Bring back hanging!
  • tankslapper
    Free Member
    cynic-al
    Free Member

He’d look better at the gallows IMO.

I agree those e-petitions attract idiots and I bet they will be a waste of time.

LoCo
    Free Member

Ridiculous idea, just another diversion for the general populus from what is really going on (foil triangle shaped hat firmly on this afternoon) 100,000 isn’t really that many signatures either so are we to expect numerous time wasting debates in Parliment (well, more than there are already 😕 )

grum
    Free Member

Just goes to show the general public are idiots and should be ignored.

ilovemygears
    Free Member

they should bring back the property qualification for voting,

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

grum – Member
    Just goes to show the general public are idiots and should be ignored.

Nice attitude there. So, just ignore anyone you don’t agree with, eh? Or, perhaps just say that anyone who has a different opinion to yours is an idiot. Nice.

However, if you had said;

grum – Member
    Just goes to show that these online petitions are stuipd and should be ignored.

I would have fully backed your opinion.

Lifer
    Free Member

Vocal minority innit.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Come on guys we can better than this – surely e petitions is REAL democracy in action. The only people who complain are those that don’t get involved….like Grum….

grum
    Free Member

Nice attitude there. So, just ignore anyone you don’t agree with, eh? Or, perhaps just say that anyone who has a different opinion to yours is an idiot. Nice.

Sorry, what I meant to say is that people from the south are idiots. HTH. 😉

It might be real democracy in action if the number of people who thought it was a **** stupid idea were also taken into account.

tankslapper
    Free Member

that’s called an opinion…..not a reason not to do it

The same way that not everyone likes Newcastle Brown………

Lifer
    Free Member

What is ‘real democracy’ though?

In the case of a word like democracy, not only is there no agreed definition, but the attempt to make one is resisted from all sides. It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it: consequently the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using that word if it were tied down to any one meaning. Words of this kind are often used in a consciously dishonest way. That is, the person who uses them has his own private definition, but allows his hearer to think he means something quite different.

George Orwell – Politics and the English Language

This is nothing but cynical populist pandering “Our voices our finally being heard” but doesn’t take into account current laws or processes that have to be followed, and which would kill (boom) a lot of the proposals before they even get to the debate stage. Pointless.

deluded
    Free Member

e-petitions, they don’t sound very good do they … really? Likely to serve only as an imposition on parliamentary time, which would be better spent debating matters that have some hope of hitting the statute books or influence government policy – which I don’t think includes the restitution of capital punishment.

MSP

e-petitions aren’t worth the paper they are written on.

Edric64
    Free Member

We could have some sharia law as well ,cutting off hands and feet for thieving crims then give then a month to get a job or hang them

MSP

Have you seen how many floods we now have, have you seen the impact of famine in Africa, do you know parts of the world are struggling to meet demands for clean water. Do you realise hot summers and high rainfalls are causing crop failures and pushing up food prices. Are you worried about the impact of climate change on your children’s future.

Will you sign this petition to curb emissions?

Are high fuel prices cutting into your monthly budget, are you struggling to afford just driving to work, are you feeling the impact of higher road taxes and fuel duty year on year. Do you think that only the rich should be allowed access to roads built from tax payers money.

Will you sign this petition against fuel tax rises?

grum
    Free Member

Most of the popular issues being raised by these petitions are straight out of the pages of the Daily Mail. Should the people who manage to work themselves up into a froth of indignant rage have more influence than others?

tankslapper
    Free Member

Yeah like ‘a petition to name and shame the newspaper that scored higher in the phone hacking scandal than the News of the World’……….er……..the Mail, allegedly

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

It seems that despite the 40 pro capital punishment petitions, its the anit capital punishment one that has more votes anyway.

Has anyone taken a look at the “Red Tape Challenge” website, its even worse!
    http://www.redtapechallenge.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/road-safety-and-cycling/

gonefishin
    Free Member

e-petitions are NOT democracy in action. For exapmple where do those of us who not in favour of the death penalty register that we are quite happy with the current situation?

Just because the majority of people are in favour of something does not make it a good idea. As an old boss of mine once said “Joe Public is thick as shit”

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

e-petitions are NOT democracy in action. For exapmple where do those of us who not in favour of the death penalty register that we are quite happy with the current situation?

Here: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/1090

I agree with your point through. MPs are our representatives, not our delegates. i.e. a representative simply follows the preferences of their electorate, while a representatives is supposedly entrusted with their own decision making.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Flogging, stone pelting, pulling finger nails out, water boarding, birching, setting fire to (a la Joan of Arc), dipping stools
    termite mound buring, sh*te throwing at, stock..

All forms of Capital punishment IMO..

All it seems a viable source of penal reform too, well “back in the day” of course.

kimbers

im waiting for this system myself

dr_adams
    Free Member

I like the idea of capital punishment 🙁
    William Hague made some good points on it

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Bring back hanging!’ is closed to new replies.