Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Brilliant service from Mr Crud
  • failedengineer

Stripped the alloy nut on my raceguard last weekend. Following the instructions on the Crud website, sent a large 1st class stamp with a request for the parts on Tuesday. Complete new bracket arrived this morning complete with shims etc. Top service! (Feeling a bit guilty about not buying a new guard now)

stumpy01

Interesting – I tried to send a question on their website about getting spares, as the threaded insert on the bracket now just turns with the bolt.
    It looks like I have 'overtightened' it from the specific page they have set-up on the website.

I guess a new bracket will sort it out, although it does seem to be a bit of a design weakness….

How easy is the bracket to remove from the actual mudguard? I seem to remember it being quite a tight snap-fit.

failedengineer

Haven't fit it yet, but mine is quite loose and rattly, so |I| guess it won't be too difficult. Can't you hold it with a pair of pliers or mole grips while you tighten it?

Artillerydave
    Free Member

Stumpy 01, mine does excactly the same thing as yours, bit of a pain and faff to try and tighten, but is manageable. I use the pliers and swearing method……

stumpy01

Can't you hold it with a pair of pliers or mole grips while you tighten it?

The threaded insert is pretty flush to the bracket so there's not actually much to grab hold of, although it would be do-able.
    The photo on the Crud website I think is hinting that you should use some molgrips/pliers or similar to crush the surrounding plastic to clamp the insert while you undo the bolt……..

http://www.crudproducts.com/products/spares/over-tightened-bracket

For the price of a large stamp, I might as well just get a new bracket….
    ….although I don't know why the bolt and the insert don't just have a raised bar across the centre that would allow you to use your fingers to tighten them. That would remove the reliance on the grip of the plastic/alu interface to stop the insert going round with the bolt…it would require another machining operation though.

DezB
    Free Member

Mine's been "overtightened" too.
    Surely a hexagonal insert into hexagonal shaped plastic would solve it?

Crud service is great though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Brilliant service from Mr Crud’ is closed to new replies.