Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Brick laying. How much sand ?
  • I’ve got a wall to build and I reckon it’s going to need about 900 bricks.
    Is there a formula for calculating how much sand is needed, assuming 10mm joints ?
    I’m just wondering whether to get a load of 25kg bags or one of those big 1 ton bags.
    It’s partly underground, so I’ll be using Class B bricks, although I don’t know if I’ll be getting solid ones or the ones with holes in yet if that makes a difference.

Stoner
    Free Member

the ones with holes need filling with mortar while you’re building, so allow for extra muck.

http://www.source4me.co.uk/calculate_brick_block_mortar.php

Thanks Stoner. That’s exactly what I was looking for.
    It also reminded me that I’m building the wall two bricks thick, so I’ll need twice as many. 😳
    About 1800kg of sand, so I’ll get a big bag and see how far it goes.

Stoner
    Free Member

You might find a local sand/gravel merchant can drop off 2t from a small tipper cheaper than your builders merchant can drop 2x 1t bags.

There’s no proper access to my place, everything has to be brought in by Land Rover and trailer.
    If I get a 1 ton bag dropped in the trailer I can lift it out with an engine crane, or just use it straight from the trailer

wrightyson
    Free Member

Usually about 800kg in a bulk bag, not a tonne. 3 And 1 underground, 5 and 1 above, and not a bricky in the land makes an effort to fill perforated bricks in 😉

wrightyson
    Free Member

Also its 60 bricks to the sq/m One other thing why are you using bricks underground, may as well start off with 100mm 7n blocks flat, cheaper and definitely quicker. Hth

Thanks Wrightyson, I went to the sand, gravel and brick merchant yesterday and it’s £36 for a tonne bag or £72 for 40x25kg bags, so I’ll start with one big one and see how far it goes.

It’s not completely underground, it’s from below ground level up to floor level.
    I was thinking of doing it English bond, because I like the look of it, which would mean double skin bricks.
    I suppose I could cheat and use half bricks for the headers and wall ties.
    I was quoted 23p each for Class B bricks and 66p each for concrete blocks, so yes, it would make sense to use blocks where possible as it works out about half the price.

This all relates to some major repairs I’m doing to my bungalow. I’ve got lots more questions about building now I’ve started. I’ll start another thread in a bit when I’ve got some pictures to help explain what I’m asking. 😉

wrightyson
    Free Member

No worries happy to help, and yes English bond is nice. I’ll keep an eye out for any others you post and I suppose I ought to get busy myself instead of fannying about on the Internet!!

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive always liked flemmish myself.

Have fun.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Flemmish? That the one with queen closures and header stretcher header stretcher, god its been a long time since college!!

Stoner
    Free Member

yep, header/stretcher etc. Looks best with those sharp edged “imperials” and a very thin mortar bed.

wrightyson
    Free Member

At this rate midlands wall will look like a sample panel for the local planners, 😆

Stoner
    Free Member

how do you spell “corballing?” 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Brick laying. How much sand ?’ is closed to new replies.