Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 154 total)
  • BRENDEN RODGERS….
  • imnotverygood

Top 5 jobs in league??? How’s that?

Thought that was MCFC,MUFC,AFC,THFC,NUFC

League doesn’t lie.

Neither does the Champions League.

portlyone

Some wag on the Beeb said Rodgers wouldn’t get Liverpool to play like Swansea because they don’t have the same quality of players!

Think I would have seen how/if Swansea struggled in their second season before saying he was worthy of a top* job.

*and Liverpool 😉

whytetrash

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17973155

I’m a full on footy hater but this is making me chuckle!

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Dont get it. why leave swansea for a smaller club? And he’ll have to live in the north west!

Zoolander
    Free Member

He could do well but will need to be given time – something that’ll be in short supply. He’s done well at the swans and they’ve played some good stuff this year and let’s face it Kenny was looking more the mad tramp shouting at the pigeons with every interview. He’ll probably do well but I guess that depends on what your view is of doing well.
    Overall I’m lukewarm on this one…… But then I am an Evertonian 😉

Coyote
    Free Member

Kenny was looking more the mad tramp shouting at the pigeons with every interview

It’s funny cause it’s true!

trailmoggy
    Free Member

I don’t understand all this big name stuff, Liverpool are average at best, and have no right to demand the likes of gaurdiola or mourinho

As a WIgan fan I didn’t want them to get Martinez, but all this not enough experience is bollocks.

How are the likes of Brendan Rodgers, Martinez or even Paul Lambert even going to win big trophy with the clubs they are at now, they need to move on sometime.

All are good young managers and will move on at some point, and hopefully be successful

Will all the scousers (and plastic ones) please get a grip on reality

Haze

Moggy, they’re challenging for the title again next season 🙄

pb2

Everything about Liverpool is unbalanced, their history compared to the present day, their ground to their ambitions, the transfer spending compared to their income.

There is a desparate need of a reality check, Liverpool have been “trending” downwards for over a decade and I think most honest impartial observers will recognise they were very lucky to beat Cardiff on pens at Wembley.

Will Rogers stop the downward spiral, who honestly knows ? He will give a go but will he be given the time and money required because make no mistake Liverpool are nowhere close to being a top four prem club right now.

Liverpool are quite simply a top ten prem club trading on past glory and thats proven by the appointment of Rodgers.

timc
    Free Member

loddrik, first things first, calm yourself & stop being a bad wool

Who knows if he will be the right man, his brand of football is right, his character seems right, he now needs to take it to the next level, handle far greater expectations & pressure & deliver results more often.

I actually think his brand of football will suit our better players & more technically gifted individuals. Wouldn’t be surprised if peoples hates like Henderson shine under his style of football tbh.

Anyway, I will back him from now onwards, thats how its done!

Junkyard
    Free Member

time will tell
    that is what he needs, time, but I doubt he will get it.

timc
    Free Member

pb2 – Member
    Liverpool are quite simply a top ten prem club trading on past glory and thats proven by the appointment of Rodgers.

past glory like february 2012 carling cup win? 2006 fa cup? 2005 champions league? 2003 Carling cup? 2001 fa/carling/uefa cup treble? second in perm twice in that period?

When Man Utd signed Aberdeen’s manager, when Everton signed Preston’s manager etc etc, people thought it was a bad move, how short sighted were they?

timc
    Free Member

He shouldn’t need time to get the current squad plus a couple of additions to perform better in the premier league next season. we lost 14 games last season ffs…

nick1962
    Free Member

The clubs in Bill Shankly’s CV before he took over at Liverpool make impressive reading…

babw
    Free Member

If anything Rogers might be doing his career a harm by taking on what’s a club on it’s way down!

Liverpool should be lucky to have a manager that’s able to knock some quality football into the players and sort his dressing room out to have some discipline. I don’t remember any racist/overpaid striker going on the piss scandal at Swansea all season.

weeksy

If anything Rogers might be doing his career a harm by taking on what’s a club on it’s way down!

Liverpool should be lucky to have a manager that’s able to knock some quality football into the players and sort his dressing room out to have some discipline. I don’t remember any racist/overpaid striker going on the piss scandal at Swansea all season

That’s because there’s only 2 journalists in Swansea to capture these events. If there’s a Sheep Fair or a school fete on that week, things like a footballer going nuts can easily be overlooked.

loddrik
    Free Member

Makes me laugh, people are always keen to say Liverpool are yesterday’s news, but the fact remains that they are one of only two truly global clubs the uk has, both of those two clubs have had far more success than any other English team, could fill larger stadiums than any other teams, when you have that, you have massive potential. Utd are realising their potential, ours is massively under utilised. With a stadium and the right manager, that potential could be realised. Rafa nearly got there but the clowns pulled the rug from under him in terms of finances and lack of stadium. We don’t need a sugar daddy like Chelsea and City as, in the right hands, we can create revenue they couldn’t dream of, but again it comes down to a stadium that can accommodate the existing crowds and the season ticket waiting list which is currently around 30000, this would then furnish the right manager with funds to compete at the highest level. I can’t see the stadium happening anytime soon and even if it did, I can’t see Rodgers would be the person to spend the increased revenues. Utd earn nearly £2m more in revenue each home game from gate receipts alone whilst the clubs have similar fanbases. There is no way we can compete with a capacity of 44000. If the owners sorted the stadium out, Rodgers would be given as much time as he needs by the fans.

Garry_Lager

Liverpool remain one of the top ten richest clubs in the world – so it’s hard to see why they’ve been weighing up the managers of Swansea, Wolves and Wigan for the next appointment. Just seems excessively risky and not something any other club of that stature would do.

I like(d) Rodgers, seems to have some class. His new club will soon correct that – he’ll be talking like Rafa in 6 months.

binners

I’d love to be laughing at Liverpool’s plight. But a lot of their problems are routed in being treated like a cash cow by Stadler and Whaldorf. And I suspect that when the Glazers finally leave United, we’ll be in a pretty similar boat. Saddled with their debts, and a legacy of underinvestment in the team, while lining their own pockets

The present management are just trying to repair the damage. The only question if whether they can live up to the fans frankly ludicrous expectations, or whether Rodgers (whose a decent manager) will be given the same reception as Woy. I think that’ll probably be the case. Though they’re not going to have an obvious candidate to champion from the terraces now King Kenny’s not available

pb2

The job is a loaded dice, away from the camera Dagleish is a really good bloke but in front of the cameras he became a prickly village idiot, as I said earlier the whole Liverpool thing is an unbalanced mess and whilst you have Liverpool fans thinking they have some sort of divine right to Champions league footy and silverware it will continue to be a mess.

The fact is you have to earn the right every season through every game, you don’t earn the right based on what you did 7 years ago — Liverpool fans you need to wake up and get real !

loddrik
    Free Member

To be fair to Hodgson I had more hope for him, it was only when Ferguson has a couple of pops and Roy rolled over in complete deference rather than going one the offensive like kenny or rafa would have done, that was inexcusable in my eyes. That and the signing of Konchesky, and the negative tactical ineptitude.

loddrik
    Free Member

The fact is you have to earn the right every season through every game, you don’t earn the right based on what you did 7 years ago — Liverpool fans you need to wake up and get real !

As mentioned above, expectations aren’t so high because we have been so successful in the past, it’s because we are one of the two biggest clubs in the country and have suffered nearly two decades of financial malmanagement. We don’t think we should be winning everything each year, but we should certainly be competing…

weeksy

Not all Liverpool fans are completely blinkered to our current situation. Mostly we’re realists who have grasped the current scenario and where we actually are in the current pecking order.

Rodgers for me is an ideal candidate for the job, both in terms of potential and also of realism, we’re not in a position to attract Jose or Pep, so we have to currently make do with who we can realistically attract.

Rodgers was trained by Jose, picking up i assume a lot of knowledge from the best manager on the planet currently. Along with Liverpools buying power (as we still are a ‘big name’, meaning we can attract players over and above our current league positions) meaning we should be potentially in a strong position.

As for the league title/top 4, well, personally i’m happy for us to push for 4th/5th next season, with an outside chance of a CL position, that for me is a realistic proposition for Rodgers… However, if we don’t achieve that, then so be it…. i can live with that….

Why ? Simply because if we’re playing better football, playing nicer passing and getting rid of some of the dross in the squad, then i can be patient and wait for gradual improvements.

As a Liverpool fan i simply want to see, fast, flowing, short passing exciting football… Simillar to Arsenal really.. i can live without the titles.. as long as my team are giving me what i need to see from my club.

the rest of it… well, that comes with time….

weeksy

loddrik – Member
    To be fair to Hodgson I had more hope for him, it was only when Ferguson has a couple of pops and Roy rolled over in complete deference rather than going one the offensive like kenny or rafa would have done, that was inexcusable in my eyes. That and the signing of Konchesky, and the negative tactical ineptitude

hodgson was done for after about 3 press conferences. Signed and sealed.. blaming fans for not helping and then stupid things like accepting defeat from lower teams as normal…meant for me Hodgson was on a no-win.

babw
    Free Member

That’s because there’s only 2 journalists in Swansea to capture these events. If there’s a Sheep Fair or a school fete on that week, things like a footballer going nuts can easily be overlooked.

You mean Swansea actually has a sports team that are winners i.e Ospreys so overpaid underachieving footballers don’t make it into the sports pages unlike Liverpool. Sheep jokes – tell tale signs you have shit chat.

chewkw
    Free Member

It’s all going downhill from here … bye bye Liverpool … 🙄

They should have given Daglish at least 3 to 5 years to turn it around …

Carbis

So £20m on Henderson, £7.5m for Adam, £35m for Carroll, Downing for £20m, Suarez for £25m, Enrique £5.5m.

£113m to finish 8th.

I note Lawrenson as a mate of previous manager has already started the media campaign against Rogers, so I doubt he will get the time he needs to turn what has been a tactically naive team around. I can’t see Liverpool breaking the top 6 next year.

weeksy

It’s all going downhill from here … bye bye Liverpool …

They should have given Daglish at least 3 to 5 years to turn it around …

No, they really shouldn’t have.

I can’t see Liverpool breaking the top 6 next year

I disagree totally.

voodoo_chile

He needs at least 12 months to show his style /intentions, lets see how it goes …… no one can know how he will react to the role

loddrik
    Free Member

Be very interesting to see who he gets in/ships out…

voodoo_chile

He has brought 3 of his backroom staff, imo we need to get rid of adam and downing to start with then need centre half cover ……… get lucas fit again, sort out the wings and get a poacher forward to mix it up ….hope andy carroll continues the enthusiasm he showed at the end of last season

weeksy

TBH i like Charlie Adam. He has 1 thing that people like Henderson/Downing are completely lacking… a true footballing brain.
    Whilst Charie had a crap time of it last season, he can SEE passes, and see play in a way that only Gerrard can see and have the vision to implement. Look at Gerrards passes to Torres in the past, very few players SEE them runs/moves, let alone can pull them off. However, Charlie Adam is one of them people. But for whatever reason, it didn’t quite come off for him last year. He then hit a form slump, as did the team, then was injured. I have big dreams for Charlie… i hope he proves me right.

trailmonkey

when did liverpool fans become so massively deluded about who they are any more ?

reminds me of newcastle in the 90s/00s

loum
    Free Member

I really rate this move, and the timing of it. He’s a top manager with 17 years coaching experience at 39. Quite often, players who retire early through injury go on to learn a lot about the game.
    If he’d stayed at Swansea and improved on last season he’d be on every wishlist next year. Better to him get in now recognising the fact that Kenny was always a short term solution to the Welegation Woy mess.
    Chelsea have no boss, Rednap’s on the way out, Wenger won’t last forever, and Ferguson needs replacing soon. Mourinho’s tied down for another 5 years too. Of the teams above LFC only City, Everton and Newcastle look like they won’t be needing a new manager in the next couple of years. And for all the p1ss taking from rivals, they’ll all have been hoping Rodgers stayed on at Swansea for another year to check out just how good he is.

binners

To paraphrase Sick Boy in trainspotting: The Champions League win was just a blip on an otherwise downward trajectory

As far as delusion goes, They also remind me of my ‘we’re too big a club to go down’ City mates in the 90’s 😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Liverpool have spent the the last five or six years turning talented people into shit, with a few exceptions. “Big Name” managers don’t want the job anymore.

While some revel in their mire (usual obvious posters there of course…as night follows day, they arrive) and make out they are an “average” club, they have one thing that only United have really, and that is a massive international following, something that United have capitalised on and for some reason, Liverpool haven’t.

They are running out of time to use this, who knows, maybe they have actually run out. What it will come down to, of course, is how much money Rodgers gets to buy in new talent; and whether they have the scouts to get it. As long as Liverpool have American owners, who view the whole thing as a franchise, the most they can hope for is the odd Europa league here or there, and a good cup run.

Still, I suppose it could be worse, one could be a Villa fan and be calling one’s club a sleeping giant all the time.

EDIT:

(usual obvious posters there of course…as night follows day, they arrive)

QED.

weeksy

As long as Liverpool have American owners, who view the whole thing as a franchise, the most they can hope for is the odd Europa league here or there, and a good cup run.

Do the Glazers not view Utd in the exact same way ?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Do the Glazers not view Utd in the exact same way ?

I dunno what the different financial arrangements are tbh, but United already had an excellent squad, a world class manager (if also a massive cock) and a mahoosive stadium when they took over. What happens when they finally get rid of United, who knows. Everybody talks about United like it’s a ticking bomb, but they seem to be doing just fine, albeit, they’ve just had a trophyless season where they looked second rate compared to a few European sides.

slackalice
    Free Member

I consider myself fortunate to have watched the LFC teams of Shankley and Paisley and believe this appointment is a shrewd one.

Look, playing competitive football is not complicated (game of 2 halves yadda yadda..). If you have the ball and keep it, the other team cannot score. Simples. Check out Barca from the last couple of years, that’s exactly their method. Ok, comments can be made about skill levels etc, however, if someone who is being paid alot of money to kick a ball cannot do the basics, then let em go.

Both Shanks and Paisley followed that principal.

weeksy

Agree 100% but my point is… that the Glazers bought UTD for the exact same reasons as FSG bought Liverpool, to increase profits within the company. The Glazers will make money from UTD i think it’s in about 3 years time. FSG will be about the same.

FSG have an exceptional reputation in the US with their other sports franchises, making both money and winning titles/trophies. They’re also the highest spenders in the leagues.

So from that context, i’m not worried.

As a Liverpool fan, i accept we have work to do on the squad/team. I also don’t think a top 2-3 is realistic without spending ITRO £150m+.. but that doesn’t mean we can’t get closer than we have been recently. We can push for 4th and at least be somewhere above the 2nd tier teams i think within the next 12 months.

I think Rodgers will bring in an attractive style of play and not be so reliant on players based upon big names, or massive transfer fees. Personally i don’t think Henderson, Downing or even Carroll would have started nearly as many games if it wasn’t for the fact the manager signed them and in many ways had to justify his signings.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘BRENDEN RODGERS….’ is closed to new replies.