Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Bredon Hill….worth a nosey round?
  • littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

So then, Bredon Hill (Vale of Evesham way)seems to have a fair few Bridleways. Is it worth a nosey round?

Anyone got any recommendations for the best place to start from? I was thinking Great Comberton from looking at the map.

Any advice much appreciated, ta muchly 🙂

singlespeedstu

Waits for The 'Tollah to arrive.

mrmo
    Free Member

dry weather! and keep away from the decent to elmley castle

TheSwede
    Free Member

In wok boys absence, Beckford tennis courts is a locals start favorite The famous yellow brick road or the easier route past the yew tree pub. Ashton village and straight up cottons lane is an other good ascent. Yes avoid Elmley side when it's wet. will be up there tomorrow for a ss spin at some point.

sheldona
    Free Member

Taaaaaaaaaaaaadaaaaaaaaaaaa

Don't ride the Northern side this time of year, its a bog fest.
    As Swedey said Beckford, Ashton under Hill, Conderton all good start points then follow your nose. May be up there later with the SO too.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Brilliant,

Thanks for the info all 🙂

CheesybeanZ

littlegirlbunny .. did you go up on Bredon today , Mrs beanZ was up at the tower in the sunshine , if your localish we go up on thursday nights for a couple of hours 😀

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

We did – it was most fun indeedy 😀 We only found a few bits n pieces of (singletracky) trails, but it was just a lovely chilled couple of hours pedalling the bridleways. Started at Conderton and headed up top from there. We'll definitely be back to see what else we could find – a night ride with locals would be great. We're only over in Malvern so it'll make a nice change for an evening blast…thanks for the offer!

Here's a few pics…

Heading out of Conderton

Getting to the North ridge

Few meters of singletrack by the tower!

Awesome swoopy bit of trail heading south from the Tower

So good, in fact, we pedalled up for another go!

Views over the Valley to home

Bikes outside the pub at the end 🙂

antigee

which pub?

edit bit blunt sorry looking for good uns mate lieves just down rd
    elmley castle reopened but not impressed

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Erm, it was the one in Conderton – Not 100% sure what it was called, but I think it was 'The Yew Tree' or something similar 🙂

votchy
    Free Member

Get some sun on those legs, bet they dazzled people for miles 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

thats the Yew tree.

Good pub even though it's recently changed hands and is focussing on food more now at the expense of some comfort of regular locals.

I think I may have seen you two out on the Malverns bunny & partner. Im over at the clocktower.

the ayatolla is your guide for all things bredon & forest of dean. Keep an eye on his threads for night rides etc.

rOcKeTdOg

trouble with bredon is, you never know who you'll meet 8)

endurobadger
    Free Member

planning a trip tomorrow.

would it be better to ride up from ashton and down to beckford, or the other way round?

always ridden from elmley castle before, though might give that a miss in case very muddy. could be frozen though, anyone been recently 🙂

thanks

tollah
    Free Member

Climbing up from Ashton is doable but with this snow I’d suggest riding from Beckford.
    I’ll be up there later with Cheesy and K from these parts.

monstermunchtoes
    Free Member

I’m gonna ride out of Pershore this afternoon, head through Great Comberton and push on to the top, looking forward to it and the pub at the end too!!!

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Is that tower “Banbury Stone Tower” marked on the 25k map? Was thinking of riding up there tomorrow, as we’re in ‘Nam over night. Is the advice still to avoid the north side?

ta

CheesybeanZ

yup , sticky claggy mud fest on the Elmly castle side ,plenty to do on the rest of the hill tho 😀
    do you know your way round up there ? yes it is the Banbury tower .

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Hi Cheesy,

Nope, never ridden there before so would appreciate some pointers before I head out on the ride in the Vertebrae guide and ride the descent to Elmley Castle. Pics above look good, wouldnt mind riding that.

Is it worth a looking in Overbury or Ashton woods?

Brown
    Free Member

The descent in the pictures is the short section through the woods on the descent from the tower to Westmancote – the last descent in the Vertebrate Guide.

CheesybeanZ

agentdagnamit , i’m more than happy to show you round the hill if you
    want some company , drop me an email [in profile ] if fancy it a spin

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks. Went for a ride there today, quite impressed. Good descent to Kemberton (sp?) and singletrack along the top to the tower. Blimin’ windy though, made the climb from Ashton Under Hill pretty tough.

Stoner
    Free Member

sod the trails, where did you go for a drink?

Stoner (Bredon boy, born and bred 😉 )

CheesybeanZ

we went up via dumbleton then over to bredon and down from the ridge to ashton, saw half a dozen bikes out on the hill.your right it was chuffin windy .

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Is it “Bread-Don” or “Bree-Don”

I also liked the decent north down to thingy Castle, dry and a bit rooty at the top, degenerating into a bog pit on the way down. Would be good in the dry. Plenty of other bridleways on the map to try sometime.

BTW – where would you recommend for a drink (and are there any cafes around there)>

mboy
    Free Member

Seriously Stoner???

I grew up in Bredon’s Norton! Hahaha. Just down the road…

Stoner
    Free Member

blimey! thread revival!

Elmley Castle was my home for many years. My bro and his family now live in Eckington, he was in Little Comberton and Pershore for a while.

I dont really ride there as I live on the malverns now, but I go for a pint out there still. And of course I enjoy views of it form this side of the Vale.

mboy
    Free Member

Yeah well, only just got linked to it…

I did a lap of the hill yesterday on my road bike, went over to see my Dad (who lives in Eckington now). Spent my first few years in Pershore, then moved to Bredon’s Norton as a kid, where I lived for a long time with my folks. Live in Worcester now myself, hardly ride there either, but still pop back every so often, and still play the odd game of Cricket for Bredon.

Stoner
    Free Member

cricket on Elmley pitch – bucolic bliss

jamb0n
    Free Member

Hey I live in Eckington and have done for a few years now. After spending most of hat time doing the house and having babys I am finally being let out on my own.

Could any one point me in the right direction to go from Eckington over the Bredons please. Is there a round route I could wheez up.

Cheers

Stoner
    Free Member

Hi jamb0n.
    The easiest way up (if you need a gentle route to start) that I know is the road through the Overbury Estate up to Lalu farm, and then on to the Banbury stone.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=395987&Y=237826&A=Y&Z=115

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=396390&Y=239803&A=Y&Z=115&ax=396390&ay=239803

from there you have a choice of steeper descents back down to Bredons Norton, or Westmancote, or Little Comberton, or Great Comberton etc etc. or head east along the top to the Ashton end.

jamb0n
    Free Member

Thanks Stoner that’s perfect just what I needed to get me started. Will try them out next weekend .

russyh
    Free Member

Guys, sorry to drag up a super old thread again, but I live in Tewkesbury and have been for a couple of rides up Breedon recently and as a boy I used to ride up through Beckford with my friends, I seem to remember passing a farm and a quarry on the accent. Trouble is I’m struggling to find a decent route or loop, from Tewkesbury I have been busting my balls climbing up the steep road in kemerton that goes up past the castle. Any route tips would be great.

Russ

Stoner
    Free Member

Russ,
    I think you mean the track that goes through here
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=397452&Y=237737&A=Y&Z=115
    from Beckford.
    Its one of the easier ways up on to the top.

mrmo
    Free Member

If your coming from Tewkesbury i would just stick with Kemerton, You can climb from Beckford, Ashton, Emley Castle etc, but they all involve more road work to get to. Although you can ride off road from Tewkesbury to Beckford i guess. Go out through Ashchurch cross the Level Crossing, take the Carrant turning then follow the bridleway across the fields, cross the road, little bit of road, then farm track takes you to the back of Beckford. Turn left on the road, when you come to the junction there is a road left of straight on between some houses, follow that to the top of the hill.

Although depending on your mentality it is actually possible to ride off road to Cheltenham from Tewkesbury, most of the way IN SUMMER!!!!!!, or to the Cotswolds proper. i.e. Cleeve, Leckhampton, Snowshill, Cranham, etc.

russyh
    Free Member

Thanks guys

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Bredon Hill….worth a nosey round?’ is closed to new replies.