Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Brecon, Brechfa or Afan for New Year trip
  • kayak23

Going down to the Gower to spend New Year in a shed on wheels(shepherds hut) but want to go biking with the GF on new years eve.

Had originally thought Afan, I’ve been before and it seems on a par with most trail centres but its had a bit of stick in the other thread along these lines of late. Its had some forestry work done I believe.

I was looking at Brechfa, which again, I’ve visited a few times but MBWales says that its having forestry work done too and everything but the Gorlech trail is closed. Is it worth going to with this work happening?

Or…..is there something good we can do in the brecons which doesn’t need too much in the way of thinking about(GF not really into ‘missions’)
    What about the ‘Gap?’ Don’t know much about it but have heard the odd thing.

Did think about CYB again, but its 3.5 hrs to Gower.

Any ideas appreciated thanks.

rusty90
    Free Member

Brechfa is now fully open again (apart from a couple of small diversions on the green and blue which should be gone by New Year)

huw
    Free Member

If it’s a dry, frosty, clear day, then The Gap in the Beacons would be my choice. In those conditions it’s a hard place to beat. The views are amazing. It’s a great loop and pretty easy to navigate (can send you a gps file if you like?). For the views, it beats a trail centre ride by miles.

Having said that, on a wet, windy, cold, cloudy day, I’d reconsider 😉

In dry conditions, there’s a great ride you can do around the Gower though, right on your doorstep. Again, got a gps file if you’d like it.

float
    Free Member

i dont suppose you could send the gower gps my way as well could you? ta 🙂

Carpediem
    Free Member

As an Afan local I can confirm there has been felling but in real terms this has not affected any DH sections to a great degree, in fact most of the felling has been on the climbs up where your diverted onto fire road for a few K’s… no big shakes really.

With ‘The Wall’ ‘Whites Level’ Skyline’ and W2, there’s more than enough for 2 days riding, but as Huw said, doing the Gap on a bright frosty day would be outstanding….

hugor
    Free Member

If the conditions are grim I’d ride Afan. Brechfa is not fun after heavy rain IMO. Afan is still great despite all the recent bitching and is fun in all weather conditions.
    If the conditions are good then I’d do a natural loop. The Gap or the Gower are hard to beat but there are many amazing routes through the Black Mountains too.
    The Gap
    The Gower

kayak23

Thanks for all the help folks. Huw I’m not sure how to import gpx files to my tracks on my Android phone typo be honest but if is easy enough I’d be very grateful thanks.

I would like to ride the gap but I guess I’ll watch the weather closer by. Brechfa fully open would be good too.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Brecon, Brechfa or Afan for New Year trip’ is closed to new replies.