Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Brecon Beast
  • 1kcove
    Free Member

Entered the Brecon Beast the long route must admit i don’t no much about it. 🙄
    looked at a few video clips i think threre was 750 riders starting at the same time should
    be fun.
    So i’m sure a lot of people on here have done it, the thing is not sure what bike to take
    Orange 5 or Ti 29er Hard tail as ther are a lot of climbs & plenty or roads. 😯

fandango
    Free Member

I will be entering in due course. Never done it before due to various reasons but this time it’s marked in all diaries. I think it involves the Gap with a bit around Llangorse. I’ll be on the FS… my other bike is a roadie.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Done it the last two years.You will certainly appreciate the f/s on the Beacon gap road! Really enjoyed it last year but glad I was on the f/s!
    Thanx,
    Max

AndrewJ
    Free Member

You’re probably better off using the 29er. Yes it would be nice to have the Orange 5 on the Gap but that descent is only 2 miles out of 100k. There’s a lot of road and fire road that’ll make you glad you rode the 29er.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Even better use a 29er fs.Had no dissadvantage using an Anthem X 29 last year.So maybe short travel 29er is the answer?
    Thanx,
    Max

walleater

I’ve done it on a Kona hardtail with 80mm forks, and a seriously overbuilt 2005 Orange Patriot. The Patriot was hilarious on the downs as I’d pass everyone like they were stationary but it was stupid for everything else. I don’t know which way you do the Gap these days but even if you go down the rough side, the rough bit is only about 100m long isn’t it?!

Much as it pains me to say it, but I’d ride a 29er LOLOLOLOL….

psling
    Free Member

It’s a good event. The field soon spreads out and there are no real singletrack bottlenecks. If you enjoy riding ‘out there’ in the great outdoors then you’ll enjoy the event. Unless you’ve got your 5 set up really light I’d vote for the HT over the longer route. Depends which you find more comfortable really…

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

In all honesty it’s okay on a rigid, so your 29er sounds ideal.

FuzzyWuzzy

Perfectly doable on a hardtail but (for me at least) more enjoyable on a FS. I’d say it depends on whether you’re trying to be competitive or just riding it for something different to do. Also what are the relative weights of the bikes? If the Five is only a couple of pounds heavier I’d probably ride that even if I did want to be fairly competitive.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Brecon Beast’ is closed to new replies.