Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Brecon Beacons route guide – hard and medium
  • phiiiiil

I read the route guide in the latest magazine today – it surprised me with the choice of the medium and hard routes. I've done the "hard" route – the Gap route – and then gone out to do a little bit more; the "medium" route – the Black Mountains "killer loop" – was when I decided that full suspension was the future as I was utterly broken by the end!

The Gap route has two hills that are mostly a fairly easy spin up; the Black Mountains route has two b*st*rd climbs and a 1/2 hour push. The descent down Rhiw Trumau in the Black Mountains is also much harder than anything on the Gap route.

I know which I'd do if I wanted a bit of an easier ride…

Stoner
    Free Member

i hear you phiiiiil.
    But we know better 🙂

Ambrose

What was the third route?

austen

No, I think that Phiiiiil is right, I hadn't really thought about it until I was cruising around the Gap route yesterday and realised they were back to front. The Black Mountains route is a lot, lot harder (no way I would have headed around there solo in yesterdays wind and rain), could be very misleading if not clarified and would hate for someone to be stuck out on the hill in the dark.

Plus on the Gap route I think that the map was a little misleading, when you drop down to Pentwyn Reservoir I *think* that you head across the forest on the forest road rather than the railway line shown on the map (it's full of train track).

Anyway, a good ride out and only got a bit wet although did nearly get blown off a couple of times. Rediscovered my Joy of Filth after a slack few weeks…

nickegg
    Free Member

Whats The Gap like?

We had a great first proper ride in the Beacons yesterday around the Blorenge. We've twice tried to walk it in the past(The Gap) but had to turn back due to zero visibility and driving rain!

We somehow managed to miss nearly all the rain yesterday…looks like those further into the Beacons weren't so lucky.

SpeedyG
    Free Member

[quotealthough did nearly get blown off a couple of times.[/quote]
    Really????? Sounds like a great ride!

SpeedyG
    Free Member

oops with the quote bits!

austen

Yes, turned a corner towards the top of the first (long) climb and got blown across the track and had to stick a foot down quick – was very reminiscent of my time riding in Wellington NZ where I did get blown over at least once.

The Gap is a classic ride, very scenic and not too hard as the climbs are at a steady gradient (albeit long). Surface is generally hard so okay in all weathers (especially if you take the route in the mag and don't go up to the quarry/over to the end of Pontiscill (sp?) reservoir). Navigation is fine except for the short stretch over the top of the first climb where you have to pick the right track without much of a landmark to go from. Final descent is a lot of fun, fast and rocky although they're part way through building some new waterbars towards the bottom so needed to go a bit more careful than usual.

It took me a little over three hours yesterday, but that was solo (able to go at my own pace) and I didn't really stop other than to chew on a muesli bar. It was okay in the conditions yesterday but I have done the route several times before and knew exactly where I was going (and where to retreat if the weather had changed).

A.

Creaky

I've just been reading the article in the mag and I did the Gap last month. I was a bit surprised to see the ascent shown at 1,416m. So, I checked my altimeter log from the ride and it said 780m. Doing a quick check on the map, my start in Pencelli was at about 140m, the first summit at about 510m, Pentwyn Reservoir is about 330m and the Gap itself is just under 600m. That's about 640m. So, allowing a few incidental ups and downs, 780m sounds about right. If it really was 1,400m, it would be a hard ride but I think some of the numbers must have got messed up somewhere!

smiffy

MBR in inaccurate route information shocker!

They may be required to QA their articles when someone dies.

a track near me appeared in the top 10 UK rides as being in Yorkshire when it's actually in Monmouthshire. Particularly disappointing when Tom and Stephlon live at the bottoms of that particular hill.

Nick; I told you once, the Blorenge is not in the Brecon Beacons!

The Gap ride is nowhere near as tough as the BMKL in both distance and climbing. I haven't seen the mag, though.

DaveGr
    Free Member

There's also a picture of Matt riding the route the "wrong way" – it's the main picture for the article. Did the Gap ride "plus a bit" in August and got it at 32 miles / 1080 m.

nickegg
    Free Member

Smiffy – I couldn't give a f$%k where it is! It was fun and thats all that matters.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"rather than the railway line shown "

The last time, I descended to the road, crossed the road bridge to the west bank of the reservoirs and then climbed the road north. There is a big fine I think for going on the railway line since it was restored – correct me if I'm wrong please.

The Gap is a lovely route but really not that difficult assuming the weather is OK it's very scenic. The rocky descent from the gap needs to be done with care but it's rough and fun. Black mountains route is much tougher in every way IMO.

The article says words and pics by Ben, but did he really ride all the trails as marked on the map?

The-Badger
    Free Member

thats convenient – i am heading out that way this weekend. This will be the first time i've ever followed a route from a magazine. I fancy the Gap route – is there a detailed step by step route guide anywhere ?

Trimix
    Free Member

Badger, just take an OS map. The route is very obvious. You will need a map in case you need to bail out due to weather. If it gets nasty its a long ride with no shelter.

smiffy

Smiffy – I couldn't give a f$%k where it is! It was fun and thats all that matters."

Simples, don't say it's in The Beacons, then!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Brecon Beacons route guide – hard and medium’ is closed to new replies.