Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Brecon Beacons options?
  • docrobster
    Free Member

I will be going to the brecon beacons next weekend. With a large group of families with kids, so not specifically a biking weekend, but will be taking the bikes and should get a half day in somewhere.
    We are staying here(nearest centre is sennybridge)
    can anyone suggest where/what to ride?
    I usually ride dark peak and am looking for something 3 hours plus. Another guy who is coming rides a CX bike (lives in flattish bucks) so should be on for a spin I think- so also where to hire from?
    Have never been to this bit of wales before so haven't a clue where to go.
    Obviously don't want to have to drive miles but will be able to drive to the start of the ride if need be.
    I have looked at the links on the mtbbreconbeacons site but it's hard to judge what the rides are like so a recommendation would be helpful.
    Cheers
    Rob

wonnyj
    Free Member

someone posted this a couple of days ago, some good routes

Mountain Biking in the Beautiful Brecon Beacons

docrobster
    Free Member

That was what I was alluding to here, didn't bother putting the url in as I thought it was obvious:

I have looked at the links on the mtbbreconbeacons site but it's hard to judge what the rides are like so a recommendation would be helpful.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Just do the The Gap. It's a good intro.

saxabar
    Free Member

The Gap run would be the most obvious, although it would be a tad rough in parts for the CX bike. This would involve a start from Brecon, over to Talybont (via road), up from Talybont over Brinmore, down onto the Taff Trail (there is another route but this is the simplest), round to the start of The Gap itself, over The Gap and Pen-Y-Fan, back down into Brecon. I can't remember how long it takes me but I'd guess 3hrs is more than ample even leaving time for small flask of tea, flapjack and views.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Oh sorry I didn't get that far. Well they are graded, so that's a good guide 😀

The only one I've done is the Gap ride which is an absolute classic, it's not a huge day out but take a map and proper clothes for changes in the weather. Probably a 3 hr ride at a reasonable rate with no wrong turns.

There are bike shops in Brecon.

thomthumb
    Free Member
    docrobster
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions, looks like the Gap is the one to go for. thomthumb's suggestion is a bit further away but I'll keep it in mind in case I get 2 pass outs!

Marko

The Gap is good one, but don't do it the wrong way. It's a great route from the Gap towards Talybont. The other way is a couple of rock steps and then fire road.
    Hth
    Marko

Forge_Master
    Free Member

I'm heading over to Brecon with my family at the end of the month and intend to sneak off by myself early one morning to do the Black mountain killer loop. Which is 30m starting and finishing in Crickhowell.

bintangman
    Free Member

Forge Master, you can make it a bit easier on yourself by driving rather than riding the first bit if you start from Crickhowell. Its a great ride. When I do it next I'm going to start from Pengenffordd, so you get the hike a bike out the way. Theres a great place to stay there called the The castle Inn.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Brecon Beacons options?’ is closed to new replies.