Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Brechfa how i love thee!!
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Rode the Raven trail at Brechfa for the first time on Friday. Possibly the best trail Ive ever ridden. The best loop Ive been on in a long time anyway!
    That swooping steep berm section thats cut into a gully similar to a half pipe is unreal, so much fun like getting thrown around in a pin-ball machine 😀 .

valleydaddy
    Free Member

sure is good fun

fbk
    Free Member

Tiz a great place to ride and very under-rated…..long may it stay that way 🙂

catnash
    Free Member

Live 20 minutes away, normally up there 3-4 times a week and never tire of it. I havent been anywhere else apart from the doethie valley for a number of years. There’s some great natural tracks up there too.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I think the Climach-X trail would be a close second to it, i think those two trails are in a league of their own out of the Welsh trails (manmade). Yeah probably good that its under-rated, better not tell too many people about it 😉 .

Taff
    Free Member

I lived in a village on the edge of the forest for 20years and have always loved Brechfa. The raven is a lot of fun for a man made track but it’s made even better if you link up with the natural stuff too. Did you guys get lost at one point though? I’ve ridden it a few times and keep missing a turning somewhere

mboy
    Free Member

Only ridden it once, cos it’s so bloody far away, but bloody loved it and can’t wait to go back…

Agree with the easy to get lost comment, I definitely took a wrong turn, ended up riding a whole section of trail twice in the end, adding about 4-5pm to the loop for us!

grum
    Free Member

Agree – the black trail is superb, wasn’t that blown away by the red bits.

The final descent of the Climach-x trail is probably my favourite trail centre descent anywhere though.

pease
    Free Member

catnash, i live near by. the natural trails?? are you talking about the bridleways?? or are there trails i dont know about in there??? please say im missing something awsome im yet to discover 🙂

singlespeedstu

Didn’t think much of it myself. Maybe it’d have been better with a group of mates instead of on my own in my lunchbrake from work though. 😕

There’s some fantastic trails to be had on an Enduro bike in that area though. 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Red and black lopped up together with a pub stop – Epic day on the trails!

pease
    Free Member

yeah i second the enduro bike bit and some good green lanes for the trucks too 🙂

catnash
    Free Member

Pease, nope not just the bridleways, I cycle with a guy called Ken Gas. There is no other that knows that forest like he does. Think of Llanlwni mountains, Gwernogle, llidiad Nenog, New Inn etc etc.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Llanlwni mountains, Gwernogle, llidiad Nenog, New Inn etc etc

are we talking about Middle Earth?

slimjim78
    Free Member

is there a website for this ride centre? ive been looking to visit wales for a weekend for ages, but dont fancy the trek up to the north

slimjim78
    Free Member

awesome, thanks.

just need some friends to go with now.

pease
    Free Member

catnash, im an electrician and im sure ive heard of ken gas!!! might be good to meet up one day there if you dont mind. id like to see some other good trails in that area. ive also got 2 jobs in that area so can take the bike with me 🙂

slimjim, always people riding there just put a post on here and im sure people will happily meet. as long as your not a convicted killer or anything 😉

Ambrose

Hi Pease, I think Guy knows Ken Gas. The name is, as you say, very familiar. Nick will probably know him if Guy doesn’t. Are you riding with us tommorrow?

pease
    Free Member

yes i will be there ambrose… theres a cider with my name on it i believe

hugor
    Free Member

Anybody tried these routes?
    Brechfa trail guide
    I’ve been thinking of giving them a go.

Taff
    Free Member

Catnash – who are you? I used to ride with Ken Gas and Peter Ronska back in the day.

Hugor – I’ve done those trails at one time or another but most ar fire roads and although some have steep climbs not amazingly technical. I think I have a map somewhere marked up with all the off piste route but I know some of which are over grown due to lack of sue

Reluctant
    Free Member

I’m up there this weekend. Are the red and black worth doing and fully waymarked for us navigational numpties? 🙂

Taff
    Free Member

Yes all the trails are marked just keep an eye out on the descents as those are the ones you can miss.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Yeah marked well, but there’s a dodgy left hand turn while going down a fast fire-road which we nearly missed.

catnash
    Free Member

Pease Nick used to ride with us, Guy a fewe times as well. Taff I joined Kens group about 12 years ago. (Taff who is sue all our rides are lack of sue) We see Ronska about every year at our xmas do. Taff riding with Ken Gas and co tonight shall I pass on a message?

timnwild

Anyone know a good place to stay – either b&b or bunkhouse – for a small group, maybe four or five?

Thanks

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Oh yeah of course theres Cwm Rhaeadr not too far away for an extra small loop after, like we did 🙂 .

Not sure about places to stay.

Paceman
    Free Member

Did The Raven for the first time last weekend… Very, very good IMO.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

timnwild – Member
    Anyone know a good place to stay – either b&b or bunkhouse – for a small group, maybe four or five?

Thanks

Budget?

Carl and Ivy at Bike Brechfa are most helpful, but only take groups of six and above, IIRC.

This place is lovely – http://www.ynysyrhyd.co.uk/I_Property%20Details.html (Not too easy to find, though…!)

Have heard good things about – http://www.brechfa-bunkhouse.com/

hugor
    Free Member

Hugor – I’ve done those trails at one time or another but most ar fire roads and although some have steep climbs not amazingly technical.

Thanks you saved me from a disappointing day in the saddle.
    Skyline let me down today so another would have been pretty shit.

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Not sure Carl + Ivy are still doing the B+B thing since the new addition to their peloton.

Taff
    Free Member

Hugor – my brother in law is getting into guiding if you’re interested.

hugor
    Free Member

Hugor – my brother in law is getting into guiding if you’re interested.

I would be – always keen to explore new areas.
    A guide would save from the stress of navigating in unfamiliar areas and at least you know you’ll have a good ride.

timnwild

Hugor – we might well appreciate a guide – I’m planning a weekender in mid/late September, and we’d want to do one big epic xc ride on the Saturday, then hit the trails on Sunday. Drop me a line at timDOTwildATrazorfishDOTcom with some details if you’re interested.

Thanks

Reluctant
    Free Member

Mighty fine trails up there at Brechfa. Had the pleasure of the black last friday, red on saturday – followed by green/blue then did the red again on sunday. All of them were a damn hoot to ride. Pleasantly surprised to find that green/blue are fantastic to. Because you know they’re not too techy, you can really let rip and gain some serious speed – great fun!! 😆

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Brechfa how i love thee!!’ is closed to new replies.