Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Brechfa, climbing amounts etc ?
  • weeksy

Debating this over Xmas as we’re down in Wales.. but would be taking my 8 year old. If you’ve seen any of my previous posts you’ll know he’s a decent little rider, XC Rampage, Swinley, Gorrick races, CX racing, so looking at the vids i’m not worried about the techincal aspect of the green or blue, looking i’m not even that worried about black i’ve seen yet…

But obviously the vids only show the good bits, not the climbing you need to get there.

He climbs like a mountain goat, but only as with kids for a certain length. I wouldn’t take him climbing Whites at Afan for example

So, some ideas on the climbing required would be great please.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Took my 7 year old daughter on her first mtb centre ride to Brechfa green in the summer. She was fine. Took a bit of encouragement at the start up some of the climbs and then lots of squeeking on the first downs. Then lots of me asking her to slow down after half way. We pushed up the last bit of one of the steeper climbs but happily managed 95% of the climbs. If you get chance ride some of the downy bits flat out and its actually quite fun.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Green is easy peasy.

Blue which is an extra few KM on the Green rather than a standalone trail is harder, long, fairly steep climb for little legs.

Red is long, but not very hard, it’s 90% fire road, it’s actually my favourite climb if there is such a thing, it’s long, but easy climb, 2 descents, long but easy climb, few descents, nasty but short switch-back climb, couple of descents, short, slightly steeper fire road climb, 3 awesome descents, followed by a bit of fire road back to the car park.

Black, I’ve only ridden it twice but I wasn’t a fan, it’s like one of those optical illusions where you climb a lot further than you descend, it’s also almost unimaginably steep in parts, like a granny and the biggest on the back isn’t low enough steep.

NB, the Red is in a different car-park / village to the rest of them.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Brechfa, climbing amounts etc ?’ is closed to new replies.