Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Breathable waterproof shorts
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

Do they exist and who makes them ?

ton

jools, just got a pair of endura superlite ones.
    seem ok so far, and plenty roomy too……. 😉

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Do Endura not make some kind of waterproof overshort?

sniggletrack
    Free Member

Fully waterproof or just keep your bum dry? – if so these could be a good’un

http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?dept_id=112&prod_id=344

pastcaring
    Free Member

altura waterproof shorts

joolsburger
    Free Member

I want something that stops my padded shorts getting sopping like a nappy but also doesn’t boil my sweetbreads.

Well check out the superlights Ton, do they have plenty of pie room, as I like pie?

MSP

endura ventura
    altura attack
    gore alpx
    and dhb do some
    as I am sure do others, although you don’t need to worry about the breath ability of shorts, they tend to be fairly well vented anyway.

nickc

water splashes go up the legs, and if you’re really lucky it’ll get from the top as well. after a couple of hours the fact that your crack is a bit sweaty as well is slightly moot.

ton

plenty of room jools…….
    wore em this morning in the rain, with knee warmers. toast.

Kahurangi

I have Endura Superlites, they’re well breathable, got these gert big holes in the legs, see…

chakaping
    Free Member

Endura Venturi I (eVent) perform well but don’t last well

Venturi II (some PTFE coated material – for same price) are far less breathable, and also came unstitched quickly

I’d go for a cheaper version or Altura if buying again

ArcticBeast
    Free Member

got a pair of altura attack waterproof shorts haven’t really had to try them out in proper monsoon conditions yet, tonight may be it. Although the braces I got to go with them seem a bit small and pull the short up to my nipple.

If your large and want a cheap pair

joolsburger
    Free Member

I find my army cut down goretex ones are boiling hot hence the requirment for something more specific. Those Alturas look great.

Adders69
    Free Member

Altura Attack 3/4’s work very well – so I would think the short versions would too!

Mounty_73

I have Endura superlites, very good IMO.

druidh
    Free Member

As had been said above, the “open” nature of the styling renders any breathability moot.

naokfreek
    Free Member

Took delivery of some 3/4 attacks this morning, looks like they will get a very good test on friday as it’s looking v wet in london. Will report back soon as, but, have been told they are very, very good anyhow.

swavis

I’ve had the Altura attacks for a year and whilst they’ve been good they’re coming apart at the seams now.
    I looked at the Endura versions and they seemed even more fragile.
    Just took delivery of some Gore Tex army trousers today which I’m going to cut to length. Only £9 off ebay so not disasterous if they don’t work.

druidh
    Free Member

My Endura Superlites are on year 3. They’ve lasted OK – I suspect this will be their last winter.

AndyRT
    Free Member

anyone got a view on their sizing? Are they big or small for their quoted sizes?

ton

the superlites in the largest size fit me fine…….1st time a pair of endura shorts ever have.
    i have lost nearly 3 stone tho…… 😉

AndyRT
    Free Member

cheers Ton, I was actually more targeting the altura ones, as they’re a lot cheaper….

pistonbroke
    Free Member

i have lost nearly 3 stone tho……

Sounds like you need to add “ed” to your login name now 😛

pop-larkin
    Free Member

cyclestore have got a good deal on alturas (£30)in xl pie eater size at the mo!

Adders69
    Free Member

anyone got a view on their sizing? Are they big or small for their quoted sizes?

I’m normally a nail on medium in everything … but had to go for a Small in the Attack 3/4’s … which was nice! 😀

ArcticBeast
    Free Member

I’ve got the fat boy xl size and they do come up a little on the big side.

naokfreek
    Free Member

The Attack 3/4’s got a good hammering today, all day, say at least 7 hours in the rain and, all good! £45 quid well spent on first impressions, kept me dry and not sweaty at all really…time will tell if they stay that good i guess but happy so far…now i need more rain… 😉

LoveTubs
    Free Member

I was chatting to a lovely lady during the recent STW northern swimride and apparently one does not buy off the shelf shorts of the ilk you describe.

Rather, buy an ex-army goretex go outside and cut the legs off in an aggressive manner…to achieve that ‘knarly’ “I don’t venture on tarmac” kind of look that’s SOOO de rigueur 😛

Jokin aside, she had a pair of goretex-y type knickers (road bike term) that seed affective…well the water was running off them rather than soaking in.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I’ve never had a short I couldn’t breathe in! Are you sure you’re wearing them right?

stumpytrek
    Free Member

Not tried the endure ones but pleased with my altura ones.

stayhigh

I had a pair of Attacks that my other half kindly put through the wash for me 😯 Despite reproofing attempts they’ve never been the same since so this year I’ve gone to army gortex. The waist band was a bit high so I had that trimmed with a raised hem at the back. Dont have any trouble with them swaeting and keep me dry.

dexterbexley
    Free Member

Second ride on a pair of Endura Venturi II PTFEs and the seam at the bottom of the pocket came unstuck. Result – my mobile clattering on the floor, £95 shaped dent in my bank account. Not happy.

kimbers

ive just bought some of the exarmy goretex ones of ebay, 12 quid delivered, they are excellent

Jamie
    Free Member

ive just bought some of the exarmy goretex ones of ebay, 12 quid delivered, they are excellent

Linky?

kimbers

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/British-Army-Surplus-GORETEX-Trousers-DPM-Camo-34-88-/300464513512?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item45f514a1e8

these are the trousers so you have to cut em down but a t this price you cant complain

i bought another set ive left ucnut for comuting

Jamie
    Free Member

@Kimbers

They say you should size down due to the trousers being meant to go over other trousers. Did you find this? Normally a 32″ so was going to go for the 30″.

doof_doof
    Free Member

After having two pairs (one pair and a warranty replacement) of Altura Attacks delaminate in the seat area, I wouldn’t buy them again or recommend them. They’re fantastic when new, but sadly the material just isn’t up to it.

kimbers

jamie yes go a size down if you plan to ride in them with just lycra underneath
    or no if you plan to put some bulkier shorts on

to be fair the elastic is quite stretchy either way youll still fit

the only thing they lack are outside pockets but im considering making some with my leftover leg bits!

Jamie
    Free Member

the only thing they lack are outside pockets but im considering making some with my leftover leg bits!

Someone watched a lot of Blue Peter as a child 😉

Just ordered some 30″ for £12 all in….either way they will get used for something. They did have them brand new in 32″ but over £8 more…

Edit: “Economy Delivery 13-15 working days” …Lordy!

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

Goretex Windstopper Shorts or tights (not necessarily biking specific design).

Anyone tried them?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Breathable waterproof shorts’ is closed to new replies.