Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 517 total)
  • Shots fired outside Westminster
  • zippykona

“Quick to judge
    Quick to anger
    Slow to understand
    Ignorance and prejudice
    And fear walk hand in hand.”

Cougar

Yay internet.

“Yay assholes” ITYM.

copper on tele has just confirmed it is ‘Muslim related terrorism’

Is he qualified to make that statement?

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/appeal-to-authority

there’s one particular pic showing a woman wearing a headscarf obviously in shock walking past an injured person on the bridge being attended to and some of the comments directed at her are **** horrific

I saw that earlier. The person is already being tended to; what else should she have done instead? Is she a paramedic, does she have skills that would’ve helped the situation? Should she have stood and gawped (which probably would’ve illicited the same backlash, “look at her gloating”)? Lynched for the crime of “being there” and “being brown,” sheesh.

Why don’t they keep religion away from things like this

Because it’s in the best interests of certain parties to go “hey, Muslims.”

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

I’ve done no such thing… if you have to ban me, ban me, but I’m not the one mentioning flat earth…

It’s a damn shame that there’s people dying the world over, due to twisted facts and legacies of ill decisions made in the same building the brave policeman who died today was protecting.

Poopscoop

“Quick to judge
    Quick to anger
    Slow to understand
    Ignorance and prejudice
    And fear walk hand in hand.”

Zippykona, a perfect quote for an instance like this.

Drac

Sorry, but I really don’t agree with that. Black humour is a perfectly reasonable way to approach death,

You might want to read what he said again.

bodgy
    Free Member

Cougar and jhj: I have no interest in getting involved in your conversation, and I approve of transparent moderation, but . . is ‘on forum’ the right place for a spat, given the nature of events today?

>grabs coat and leaves quickly<

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’ve done no such thing… if you have to ban me, ban me, but I’m not the one mentioning flat earth…

You don’t need banning Jive, I was mostly being tongue in cheek earlier matey. I hope Cougar understands….

eddiebaby
    Free Member

DT78 – Member
    My father just called, he’s been told one of the victims was a women who he closely works with. 2 little girls and a husband left behind.

Very sorry to hear this mate. Its things that personalise events like this (even if its “JUST” a bloke from a forum I visit) that hit home.
    Especially in view of the number of point scoring posts between your’s and mine. My condolences to your Dad’s colleague, not that they mean a thing after an event like this.

tjagain

Edit

this was posted after some now deleted comments about muslims. It no longer makes sense that I posted it without that context. Edit for clarity

batfink
    Free Member

eddiebaby – Member
    DT78 – Member
    My father just called, he’s been told one of the victims was a women who he closely works with. 2 little girls and a husband left behind.

Very sorry to hear this mate. Its things that personalise events like this (even if its “JUST” a bloke from a forum I visit) that hit home.
    Especially in view of the number of point scoring posts between your’s and mine. My condolences to your Dad’s colleague, not that they mean a thing after an event like this.

Agreed. One of my wife’s colleagues was the best friend of the lady killed in the Sydney “siege”….. sounds like a tenuous connection, but it made the whole thing feel much closer to home – I certainly view this sort of thing very differently now. I hope your dads ok DT78, it’s heartbreaking.

Cougar

I’ve done no such thing…

I know you haven’t, and didn’t mean to imply otherwise, you made relatively reasoned posts. Like I said, it was a gentle warning to keep it that way, time and a place and all that.

is ‘on forum’ the right place for a spat

It wasn’t a spat but yes you’re probably right, a PM would’ve been more appropriate here, sorry if I was insensitive.

frankconway

TJ – thanks for posting; heard the Imam’s interview – sensible and balanced comment.
    By breakfast it will have been distorted beyond recognition by the bigots and uninformed.
    It seems to me we have an individual with a vague ‘plan’ which could only deliver personal and individual hurt; it could deliver death and destruction which is appalling but had no capacity to have a serious and permanent impact on uk democratic structures.
    Using vehicles as weapons will be limited by enhanced security and defensive hardware on the streets; then it will be another method of delivery for the misguided.
    It’s easy to say – i know – and hard to do but….perspective that we had a ‘lone wolf’ with no cohesive plan who got lucky (in his own tiny mind from a perverted perspective).
    There is no evidence thank god – mine or anyone else’s – that this is part of a co-ordinated plan as we saw in paris and brussels.
    Then we have the ‘coincidence’ with brussels first anniversary.
    It’s certainly a cheap way of causing death and destruction – one willing/deranged individual, one vehicle, kitchen knives.
    I have little doubt it will ‘inspire’ others – tonight, making vague plans, dreaming of virgins in heaven.
    What i really hope is that government will reverse cuts in police and armed forces funding – and increase to a much higher level.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

muslim council of britain »
    We are shocked and saddened by the incident at Westminster. We condemn this attack and while it is still too early to speculate on the motives, our thoughts and prayers are for the victims and those affected. We pay tribute

blah, blah, blah, but what are they actually doing about radicalism??? I’ve had a look and search on their website and can’t find anything, nothing at all. In fact they are pretty much in denial it even exists.

Northwind

What are you doing about radicalism? Why is it their job to do something about radicalism?

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

It isn’t my religion northwind, it’s their religion that these extremists are killing in the name of.

Cougar

“In the name of” is not synonymous with “at the behest of.”

I could plant bombs in the name of WH Smiths, would it be right to ask what the popular high street newsagents was doing about it?

frankconway

Cougar, while you ask that question of WH Smith in store they will offer you some short dated chocolates at a reduced price.
    Mitsumo you are talking bollocks. One, as yet, un-named indivdual with no declared or known links to any religion or terrorist group or footie club or anything.
    The 4 F’s – First Find the Fu**ing Facts; try it sometime – it will help you to think clearly.

oldtalent
    Free Member

outofbreath
    Free Member

“It isn’t my religion northwind, it’s their religion that these extremists are killing in the name of.”

So if some nutter started killing in the name of Mountain Biking that would be your responsibility?

This murderer was killing to divide communities, your comments further that aim, just as this killer planned.

Edukator
    Free Member

So if some nutter started killing in the name of Mountain Biking that would be your responsibility?

It would be my responsibility hunt down and destroy every copy of the mountain bike magazine with the passages calling to kill or convert non mountain bikers to mountain biking. While mountain biking was still based on a book with passages calling for killing non-mountain bikers I would hold part of the collective responsibility of the cult of mountain biking for deaths resulting from the doctrine.

If I didn’t consider myself part of radical mountain biking I wouldn’t groom in exactly the same way as my radical mountain bike leader.

And I’d simply give up mountain biking as I can live without it and nothing good comes of it.

theotherjonv

I’d dissociate myself from those passages and condemn those that stick to them.

But I’d carry on riding because I love it, and to show that I can perfectly well enjoy it without having to follow some out of date doctrine. And I’d continue to be a perfectly pleasant person to other mtbers, and roadies, and commuters, and recumbent riders, and tricyclists, reflecting that in the end we’re all cyclists together.

theotherjonv

My immediate thoughts this morning, watching the coverage on the BBC are that someone from the Met needs to tidy up the police tape behind the presenters.

And also some thoughts about Sally Nugent but that’s not appropriate. Even though she is wearing every coat she owns currently.

Edukator
    Free Member

I suppose giving up would be over the top when I could go back to secular rough-stuff touring wearing plus twos and a cloth cap rather than a hydration pack.

Gary_C

Official news is that yesterdays terrorist attack is being linked to Islamist extremism.

My comment on this thread last night was fully justified.

Drac

You must be so happy with yourself.

pondo

My comment on this thread last night was fully justified.

Only if you think that a terrorist linking themselves to an organisation legitimately makes them a representative of it. Me, I like to think I take a broader view.

jekkyl

I did think it was very strange throughout all the mainstream media coverage that they didn’t mention the attackers race or possible motive, it was like they were deliberately withholding that information.

bikebouy
    Free Member

For fear of reactionary attacks against the religion of the perpetrator?

Seems obvious is obviously..

jimjam
    Free Member

jekkyl

I did think it was very strange throughout all the mainstream media coverage that they didn’t mention the attackers race or possible motive, it was like they were deliberately withholding that information.

That’s standard. You might remember the BBC reported that a lorry had attacked a group of people in Nice, for example. They do this to prevent the spread of rightwing, racist xenophobic stupidity and it’s working well. Really, really, really well.

Drac

It was like they were waiiting for confirmation.

Edukator
    Free Member

Only if you think that a terrorist linking themselves to an organisation legitimately makes them a representative of it.

When someone acts in accordance with the doctrine of the organisation as expressed in the texts that define the organisation then they are very much representative of it. You could argue that if the leaders of the organisation disregarded some of the published doctrine they were less represenative than the “terrorist”. And therein lies the problem.

I had debates with junior on these lines because some of his school mates were into the radical Web. It’s difficult to argue that the moderates are the true representatives when the radicals have the original texts on their side.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    It was like they were waiiting for confirmation.

Whereas we all know it’s easy the only terrorist are islamic extremists…

Unless he had a pile of supporting documentation to explain his reasons and motives along with membership cards for all the organisations he was affiliated to the police would need to have investigated. I think the MET have moved beyond the colour chart detection methods these days.

jekkyl

Yeah but they were showing pictures of the attacker wounded on the pavement receiving medical attention. When they do those ‘what do we know so far’ lists they didn’t mention the attackers race. I feel they probably would have if he was white.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

When they do those ‘what do we know so far’ lists they didn’t mention the attackers race. I feel they probably would have if he was white.

Remind me again what difference a sun tan makes? Also what it tells you by appearance only? Perhaps rightly they were clam and restrained.

Edukator
    Free Member

I think the police/media were rightly frugal with speculation and waited for confirmation. It tool one photo of the perpetrator for me to jump to my own conclusions. “That ain’t no hipster”. We’re all pre-wired and I try to fight against it but sometimes things are what they appear to be.

molgrips
    Free Member

While mountain biking was still based on a book with passages calling for killing non-mountain bikers

Ed, how.much have you studied the Quran? How much context do you understand? How much have you talked tho those who live by it?

jekkyl

his colour or appearance tells us nothing, I’m not inferring anything Mike, I just highlighted the fact that they deliberated withheld mentioning his race. Calm down. With so much time to fill usually they waffle on about any old tenuously linked stuff

Edukator
    Free Member

I share two things with one now-dead notoirious “terrorist”. A name and skin colour. However, the thing I have choice over, the grooming of my beard and hair, is very different.

Another friend of junior sported a characteristic 1930s German hair style for some years. I found it very difficult to discuss anything with him and even harder not to let his look influence how I talked to him.

People are tribal, they groom and dress in tribes and identify with groups. Be it punk, rad MTB, climber, metal head, petrol head, manif pour tous, goth, rockers… you can spot them at 50 paces. Some tribes have elements in them that are dangerous and if you don’t want trouble you don’t adopt that particular tribal dress.

Motrocyclists should avoid having wings on their leathers
    People who ride scooters should avoid a parka
    And members of religions who want a peaceful life can avoid wearing certain symbols or grooming in a particular way.

But they don’t. Some of it is conviction and belonging, but some of it is a provocative statement. Watch some of the Luton radical vids on YouTube and they state as much.

Edukator
    Free Member

Molgrips, I’ve tried defending your point of view against junior’s literal interpretation and failed. The texts are there and they really aren’t ambiguous. Saying they are not a call to kill infidels is contrived and the literal interpretation is clear. I have spent a lot of time looking at the matter, reading various clerics (at risk of getting prosecuted for visiting dodgy websites) and my conclusion is that if the texts really don’t incite killing then every copy of the Koran needs to be destroyed and a new edition produced that removes any possible liberty in the interpretation.

I’d quote the texts but the mods would remove my posts again.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 517 total)

The topic ‘Shots fired outside Westminster’ is closed to new replies.