Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Breakfast Options
  • samuri
    Free Member

OK, I know I may be bucking the trend a little here but here goes.

I commute most days, 15 miles each way so not huge but I still need something reasonable to get me through to dinner time. I leave early so get breakfast at work.

Now I asked this question some time ago and most people said porridge. I tried porridge, and I have tried. I’ve tried porridge with dried fruit and with honey but it’s just not doing it for me. It doesn;t feel like it’s hitting the energy spot either to be honest. On days I have porridge and fruit I can get to about 11:00 before I need something else. If I have a sausage buttie, I’m good till 12:00.

Trouble is, sausage butties aren’t cheap

Suggestions for good, solid breakfast that keeps you going, that’s not porridge, not a sausage buttie and can be made in bulk, at home for quick consumption at work.

andyl
    Free Member

20 Weetabix. You’ll be crapping for england too.

cranberry
    Free Member

All the people who say that porridge fills you up and keeps hunger at bay are, IMHO, a bit strange – If I have it at breakfast I’m nibbling on the bloody remains of a co-worker by 11am.

For something filling, I’d suggest a sandwich with some protein in it – ham and cheese, or something utilising eggs – ham, egg and mayo.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Try some low GI options for longer-lasting energy?

Here are a few

Porridge works for me, but I have bananas in it and nuts sometimes. Usually carry an apple or some Go bars to stave off brunch-cravings for pork and bread products which I really have to stop 😳 Lots of bread fills me up but makes me want to go to sleep.

*Edit – someone mentioned eggs. They do fill and a few boiled are good with a dash of salt, pepper and yr favourite strength chilli sauce*. (Also make a great filling salad, chopped up with toms, mayonnaise, peppers, lettuce etc)

*Eggsactly what I had this morning, and didn’t feel like eating again until way after lunch.

djglover
    Free Member

2 large eggs on toast, don’t need to eat till 2pm and that’s with running twice a day. Weight is dropping off at the min. Not sure about making in bulk though!

ton

big fat egg and bacon omlette, made at home, and the 2 mins in microwave at work.
    keeps this fat un satisfied.

bearnecessities

Big bowl of this is what you need.

samuri
    Free Member

Nice one. Thanks Ton. I’ll go with that. I can knock up a quick omlette before I go to bed and reheat it at work.

I’ll try that.

samuri
    Free Member

I tell you what though, that egg, mushroom and tomato selection looks good too though Malvern Rider.

Looks like proper food wins again 😉

yunki
    Free Member

When we were in NZ we stayed with an old friend who is in recovery from cancer.. He got massively into nutrition as part of his focus for recovery and he gave us a good recipe for home made muesli..

You can tinker with the ingredients to suit your needs and it works best if soaked in the liquid of your choice overnight ( he used rice milk or fruit juice but I’m happier with cows milk)

At the moment I’m using

oats
    pumpkin seeds
    sunflower seeds
    chia seeds
    dessicated coconut
    flaked almonds
    hazelnut meal
    raisins
    dates
    some other mixed dried fruit mix

awesome power boost if eaten an hour before I get on the bike in the morning

cookeaa

Correct me if I’m wrong STWists but I don’t think sausages or bacon every day especially served up between slices of bread is the most healthy “balanced” choice is it, sort of undoing the good cycling to work did innit? It’s probably the protein from the pig rather than the carbohydrate filled bread keeping your munchies at bay, look for other sources of protein for brekkie.

I assume this is prepared at work so facilities are limited but why not mix it up a bit you much have access to a microwave, so still do porridge one day, scrambled egg and salmon another, oat pancakes with fruit and honey? I reckon I could rustle up a version of huevos rancheros with a poached egg in our office kitchen, spoil yourself once a week maybe with a pig based sandwich or even down size the bread part to a muffin or crumpet perhaps…

and why does breakfast have to keep the munchies away until midday? Nowt wrong with elevenses dried fruit, bit of colds roast chicken maybe a tracker bar?…

Just Think a little broader than porridge or pig sarnies…

chakaping
    Free Member

Make a big Spanish omelette – spinach, mushrooms, potatoes, onion, peppers, ham – cook in pan and grill top to finish.

Reheat in microwave or eat cold – delicious either way.

Also works as sandwich filling if you are a bread eater.

chakaping
    Free Member

I can’t stand porridge myself.

Do like nice museli in low fat yogurt with berries or honey though. That seems to keep me going good.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Breakfast Options’ is closed to new replies.