Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Breakfast in Northern Lakes
  • mrbotticelli

Does anyone have any recommendations for breakfast in the Northern Lakes?

Need to seat and feed four adults and three children. We normally all meet up in Wilf’s at Staveley, but some of the group will be coming down from Scotland for a week near Keswick, and it seems daft for them to drive so far South to head back North.

Any recommendations?

landofgiants
    Free Member

Skiddaw hotel in Keswick.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The wee place right at the bottom of the main drag in Keswick, at the opposite end from, and facing, the moot hall.

mrbotticelli

Thanks, handy for pointless outdoor clobber shopping afterwards 🙂

mrbotticelli

No Beer, do you mean down behind the Moot Hall? Isn’t there a chippy behind there, opposite the Tog24? Or do you mean somewhere else?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Or here – filling station cafe

I’ve never been, but I keep meaning to go in. One of the only places in the town you can actually get parked at, and just off the main road at the hospital. Seems to get good reviews too.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No, if your standing with the moot hall at your back, about 100 yards down the street ahead, looking down the hill, facing up to you

mrbotticelli

The filling station cafe looks interesting, would never have gone looking for that.

The other place, do you mean down past the Skiddaw, opposite Rathbones, on the corner of the side street?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Daisy’s in Ambleside…

Well worth that extra bit of a drive…

landofgiants
    Free Member

No the skiddaw hotel itself. Been a few years since we stayed there but it was good grub. There’s another place opposite Rohan that does good sandwiches that has an upstairs seated bit. Dunno if they do breakfasts though.

Trekster

Booths supermarket cafe 💡

Not sure what time this place opens. Been driving past for years until we stopped off a few times at the end of last year. Cracking food etc

The cafe in the car park down from the Pedlar in centre of town?

George Fishers or the newish/modern one just down the hill from there?

Siskins up at Whinlatter

St Johns in the Vale hostel cafe

http://www.westmorland.com/tebay-services

boxelder

Filling station +1

If you get seats

TomB

For a bit of a bargain, Keswick Youth Hostel do breakfasts for non residents, next to the river opposite fitz park. I think the George does breakfasts for non-resi’s too, and thir grub is usually good. Not tried it, but another convenient one would be the new spot opposite WH Smiths, used to be the Rembrandt (Lakes Bistro?).

Left field suggestion, Nichol End Marina in portinscale, Random service from Roger but a fine place to be, especially on a sunny morning.

Living here and having 2 young kids, don’t get out for breakfast very often. Also, if you find yourself in Cockermouth, I very much recommend the Coffee Kitchen, and you can bring your bike in and leave it downstairs while supping/munching upstairs. Top spot.

Edit- another thought, Cranstons at Penrith, nice cafe upstairs.

senorj

try here , on way from Carlisle.
    http://www.yell.com/b/The+Craggs+Coffee+House-Cafes+and+Coffee+Shops-wigton-CA72JN-6302172/

I’m not sure what time they open tbh , mostly go later with me Grandad,
    (he used to “wuk” in the fields thereabouts and eat there when it was a hut). give them a call.

mrbotticelli

Thanks for all the recommendations, plenty I have never heard of!

I’ll check them out this evening when I’m next able to get web access.

mrbotticelli

Meant to report back and say a big thanks to those who recommended the Filling Station, we managed to park right outside and all four adults and three children squeezed into one of the booths/tables inside.

Lovely breakfast and great service.

For anyone else considering the Filling Station Cafe then it is worth mentioning that at the time we visited they didn’t take card payments which almost caught us out as I rarely carry any cash.

And, if you happened to be the local couple sitting outside enjoying your drinks (Sat 6th Apr, about 11ish) with your two border collies (Ben and ?) who got accosted by my three children and wife, then hello. My boys have only just stopped talking about how lovely Ben was!

wool

Filling station cafe or truck stop Penrith proper fry up and it’s 24 hours so very handy……

karnali
    Free Member

filling station or nichol end marina

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Breakfast in Northern Lakes’ is closed to new replies.