Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Breakfast ideas – whats good?
  • lhabitantdepointe
    Free Member

Currently trying to eat a lot healthier and cut out snacks. I have my breakfast early – 6:15 and have an active job (plus a 2 year old daughter) by 10-10:30 am i am feeling somewhat listless, i am not sure whether this is tiredness, boredom (at work), lack of caffeine, or just plain old hunger!!

So trying to change one thing at a time, the first try is lower GI food so that i do not have sugar spikes/troughs.
    Usual breakfast was cereal (4-5 weetabix and milk) which i now realise is good but not great!

Last few days have been scrambled eggs with peppers, red onion, and spinach in a wholemeal pitta. Whilst i am enjoying this i am sure i will become bored of this and too many eggs ……

What do you find works for you breakfast wise, i have just read 300kcals is where you should be aiming, thats about 3 slices of dry toast ffs!!

nicko74

What do you find works for you breakfast wise

It doesn’t fit the GI formula, but I’ve become a fan of granola, natural yoghurt and berries – the yoghurt lines the stomach; berries let me pretend I’m healthy, and granola gives me instant energy for chasing down taxis on the commute!

(or something)
    Realistically, my breakfast has to be something I can prepare in about 3 minutes and eat in about 7, which rules out most egg formulations.

lhabitantdepointe
    Free Member

eggs are the original fast food – scrambled takes 2 mins max

bigrich

espresso.

Drac

Klunk
    Free Member

beans on thick slice granary toast oodles of butter.
    sausage sannies
    scramble egg on thick slice granary toast oodles of butter.
    toasted bacon and egg sannie
    last nights pizza

Anna-B
    Free Member

Mon-Fri I soak porridge oats overnight in milk, then grate an apple into it in the morning. cheap healthy tasty couldn’t be quicker. Sometime add sultanas to the soaking stage, sometimes nana instead of apple.

Weekend – egg formulations (like it!)

ton

eggs
    homemade baked beans

lhabitantdepointe
    Free Member

homemade bake beans – recipe?

ton

cannelini beans
    chopped toms
    chopped onion
    chopped celery
    garlic
    tom puree

make a big batch on a sunday and have themdaily
    sometimes throw a bit of spinach and smoked ham or chorizo in.
    fantastic with 3 poached eggs on top.

primal idiet rocks……… 8)

bikebouy
    Free Member

This

and this

and two of these

lhabitantdepointe
    Free Member

quantities?

ton

7 x what you would eat daily.
    i make a big batch. 😀

allthegear
    Free Member

Not sure where it would sit on the GI spectrum but I LOVE shakshouka.

Rachel

wallop

I am currently boiling my eggs ready to eat them cold in the morning.

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

my breakfast faves –

Scrambled eggs & avocado, with maybe a dash of tabasco.
    or
    A minute steak and eggs, breakfast of champs. Might be a tad too much for everyday.

Bolstered by a pot of coffee.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Steamed asparagus with a soft poached egg or boiled egg.

Grilled kippers or smoked haddock with a poached egg and some wilted spinach.

Omelette with goats cheese and watercress.

None of them really much bother to make, certainly no more than a fry-up, all add a bit of variety.

Hard to see past eggs, though.

And strong cafetiere coffee.

ton

Rachel, how do you make that, it looks very nice.

teethgrinder

The way I feel right now…Bombay Sapphire.

allthegear
    Free Member

ton – Its a tomato sauce base, with onions, maybe a bit of pepper, cumin, turmeric, etc… Get all that going the night before and chill.

In the morning, get the oven on an reheat the sauce and then break a couple of eggs into it and bake them in. Seriously lovely.

Rachel

DrP

Cheery oats.
    Cheery corn.
    Cheery rice and wheat.
    Cheery o so Cheerios.
    Cheery oh so good to eat…….

Or something else.

DrP

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Bacon & egg for me

yunki
    Free Member

porridge or something on oatcakes.. bacon and scrambled egg is good..

or cheese, or houmus, or avacado and bacon.. maybe some smoked fish

leftover mashed spuds mixed with eggs and fried is nice too..

no wheaty things though.. nasty stuff

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Tomorrow I’m having..

2 coffees + a pint of squash pre run.
    Then 75g of Granola with 150g of yoghurt.

By half ten, 11ish I’ll be eating again.

Most mornings it’s some combination of porridge, mixed toasted seeds, oatbran, dried fruit and nuts, granola.

Weekends it’s bacon, eggs and black pudding if I’m eating pre exercise.

Haze

Porridge with blueberries and honey is my usual, sees me through to lunch/dinner easily enough.

Failing that it’s scrambled eggs on toast, try to keep the butter down.

May stretch to bacon and egg when I’ve woken up hungover 🙂

nick1962
    Free Member

Toasted potato scones,poached egg(20 seconds in the microwave) and some of those sweet cherry tomatoes washed down with two cups of coffee. Sometimes add a slice of ham and have a bagel instead of the scones.

ton

this morning i had 4 scrambled eggs with a pile of mushrooms fried off in nice healthy kerrygold…………ibreakfast’s rock……. 8)

jota180
    Free Member

So trying to change one thing at a time, the first try is lower GI food so that i do not have sugar spikes/troughs.
    Usual breakfast was cereal (4-5 weetabix and milk) which i now realise is good but not great!

Eat smaller portions more often

How about 2 Weetabix for breakfast and another 2 at 10ish?
    Similar idea for dinner and tea

6-7 smaller meals rather than 3-4 large ones

alex222
    Free Member

shakshouka is just ranchos huevos isn’t it? chillie and eggs. Still looks banging

warton
    Free Member

Anna B – do you cook those oats, or does the milk soften them up overnight?

votchy
    Free Member

The guy who sits next to me is a reasonable runnist (10k in 32mins) and his breakfast is a bowl of low fat cottage cheese, a scoop of porridge oats, heaped spoon of sweetener and a heaped spoon of cocoa powder mixed together (looks like a bowl of sh1t!!!!)

ourmaninthenorth

I aim to have cooked, eaten and washed up scrambled eggs within 10 minutes.

I’ve cut down from 3 eggs a day, to two. Now it’s two whites and one yolk*.

Keeps me going nicely until lunchtime.

*Have been trying, as well as low GI/insulin index, to reduce fat intake. Egg yolks don’t have much fat (c5g) but every little helps.

jota180
    Free Member

Anna B – do you cook those oats, or does the milk soften them up overnight?

They soften overnight, it’s similar to Bircher muesli recipes

stevomcd
    Free Member

Fresh fruit with plain yoghurt, some porridge oats (raw!) and a little bit of honey. Yum.

Duggan

Hmmm, some good ideas here. I hate breakfast but maybe I should make more of an effort.

Also I was quite worried about the amount of eggs I eat but it seems I am under-eating eggs if anything after reading this thread. Top news.

grievoustim
    Free Member

In the winter porridge.

In the summer, sUmmer porridge. I posted the recipe up once, I’ll see if I can find it

grievoustim
    Free Member

This makes about 5 portions of oatey stuff

Here’s the recipe if anyone wants a nice oaty, yogurty,fruity alternative to hot porridge for breakfast
    500g pot of natural/ low fat type yogurt – the “value” stuff works fine
    300g of oats
    350g of apple juice (is that 350ml? dunno)
    2 tablespoons of agave nectar – they sell it in sainsburys, honey, syrup or sugar would work too
    fruit – you can have what you want here, tinned peaches drained and chopped up, chopped apple and blueberries have all worked for me so far
    juice of half a lemon
    mix it all up in a big bowel and keep in the fridge – its best to let the oats soften up over night before you eat it
    POSTED 1 YEAR AGO #

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

I’ve just had two poached eggs on rye toast with oyster mushrooms cooked in butter & double cream and very fine it was.

Solo
    Free Member

This isn’t your super-speedy breakfast.

But, make a few up.
    They keep in the fridge for days and are very portable.

Scotch Eggs.

Oh, and very tasty.
    😉

kcr
    Free Member

Porridge. Low GI, dirt cheap, lots of energy, simple to cook and tasty.
    1 measure of oats to 2.5 measures of water. 2-3 minutes in the microwave.
    Add whatever you like to it if you want to dress it up. My preference is to cook it with raisins and add a banana and some milk afterwards.
    Ignore the ridiculous attempts to try and market it in little packets as an improved or gourmet product. You can’t improve porridge. Just get a big bag of basic porridge oats from the supermarket.

Most breakfast cereals are poor foods where the original grains are pulverised, reconstituted in a different shape, cooked at high temperature with added salt and sugar and then sprayed with vitamins to replace the good stuff that the manufacturing process has removed. Interesting discussion on R4 about the history of breakfast at the weekend. Apparently John Harvey Kellog created the original Cornflakes as a health food, but ended up in a feud with his brother Will, who wanted to add sugar to the recipe. The rest is history…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Breakfast ideas – whats good?’ is closed to new replies.