Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Breakfast
  • prezet
    Free Member

Does anyone else here struggle to eat breakfast?

I’ve gone most of my life without eating breakfast, and never really felt it did me any harm. Until recently I’ve had a noticeable drop off in energy on the commute to work, and think it might be down to not enough fuel. So I’ve been trying to have breakfast to see if it makes a difference.

So far I’ve been unable to do it. The thought of breakfast just makes my stomach churn – about the only think I can handle is coffee. On weekends it’s a bit easier, as by about 10am I’m hungry, and can eat. Although on weekdays I just can’t do it at 7am.

Also, how much should I be eating for breakfast? A couple of slices of toast? or much more?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Nope. I’m looking forward to breakfast before I’ve gone to sleep at night.

ton

if i do not eat breakfast i can go till 1pm without anything, however if i eat breakfast i am hungry again within a hour. odd?

IHN

if i do not eat breakfast i can go till 1pm without anything, however if i eat breakfast i am hungry again within a hour. odd? [/i]

Have never really thought about it before, but yeah, I’m like that. Always have breakfast though (porridge)

binners

I never do breakfast either. Never have done. I’ve just no interest in eating first thing. I just want Just plenty of caffeine. Mid-morning is a different story.

To counter the ‘running out of energy’ thing on the commute, I stock up the evening before with copious amounts of healthy dairy based products, thus:

And an fruit-based energy drink, like so:

I store all this ‘energy’ ina large hollow vessel around my midriff, where it squats until required. Hey presto: no lack of energy on the commute

Try it! You’ll love it. 😀

KINGTUT
    Free Member

if i do not eat breakfast i can go till 1pm without anything, however if i eat breakfast i am hungry again within a hour. odd?

Not odd, eating breakfast kick starts your metabolism.

DezB
    Free Member

Most important meal of the day. Or so they say.
    I can’t function until I’ve had a bowl of Shredded Wheat Bitesize with honey or Lidls finest muesli.
    I think I’d collapse on the commute if I didn’t eat anything!

prezet
    Free Member

OK, so I need to start eating it… what’s easy to stomach first thing in the morning? Cereal is a no-go, too much milk and makes me feel a bit sick. Toast could be a go’er.

binners

As someone who doesn’t eat breakfast either: toast and pate is all I can do. With that I can somehow fool my stomach into believing its not the morning. OR potato cakes. Both my daughters absolutely lovea potato cake of a morning for breakfast. Plenty of carbs for the ride in

joao3v16
    Free Member

Banana
    Malt loaf

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Bowl of muesli usually- I’m good for nothing without breakfast.

TiRed

Three courses every morning. Can’t function without it.
    Porridge, Toast/egg, fruit washed down with tea.

A commute without fuel isn’t going to go well. If you struggle to eat, why not eat the night before? Bun and/or malt loaf before bedtime?

crazy-legs

I can’t cope without breakfast.
    Three weetabix & muesli. If I’m going riding I’ll sometimes have porridge instead.

Have you tried toast, even plain or with butter? Better than nothing.

_tom_
    Free Member

I hate it but if I don’t have it I feel sick from hunger when driving to work. It’s particularly shit on early shifts when I have to be up and left by half 5. Porridge is alright on cold mornings though.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I rarely eat breakfast either – trying to just makes me feel sick, then actually sick on the ride to work.

Occassionally I wake up feeling ravenous – this is the only time I’ll eat brekkie.

Lunch is my first meal of the day. Plenty of black coffee sees me through happily.

If I’m off out for an all day ride, I have to physically force myself to eat sweet sloppy porridge, and maybe a banana.

rocketman
    Free Member

Could eat a whale omelette most mornings but generally make do with muesli/porridge/fruit/several rounds of toast & jam and a pint of green tea mmmm lovely nom nom nom

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Whale omelette? 😉

binners

Sperm? Or killer?

Solo
    Free Member

by about 10am I’m hungry, and can eat

Thats me most days.

I tend to eat between 10am and 1pm.

Even if I eat early, I still feel like having something at 10am.
    Always been the same.
    Its been a mystery to me.

Also, I can get on with stuff straight away, hours before I eat anything.
    My Sunday ride is done before breakfast.

If you can’t eat anything before your commute.
    Then drink something for the additional fuel, IF, you think thats the root of the problem.

OK, so I need to start eating it… what’s easy to stomach first thing in the morning? Cereal is a no-go, too much milk and makes me feel a bit sick. Toast could be a go’er
    Nope !.
    Forget that grain based cr4p that Nestle, Warburton or Alpen would have you eat.

Try egg and Bacon, Omelette containing meat and pepper, a couple of scotch eggs, scrambled eggs and worcestershire sauce.
    The list is endless.

iDave
    Free Member

Halfway through a three hour ride this morning I realised I hadn’t had breakfast. Not best pleased.

miketually
    Free Member

Two weetabix with raisins and hot milk, a “corner” yoghurt and a choc chip brioche roll washed down with some juice. Is what my 8-year-old daughter eats.

My six-year-old daughter has ham, egg and beans, a “corner” yoghurt and a choc chip brioche roll washed down with some juice.

I have similar to the 6-year-old, but bigger portions. And a couple of cups of tea.

My wife has smoked salmon, egg, tomatoes, cheese and pickles because she’s on a diet.

Solo
    Free Member

Halfway through a three hour ride this morning I realised I hadn’t had breakfast. Not best pleased.

I do a 2-3 hour ride on Sundays, San brekafast.
    Doesn’t bother me.
    😉

Oh, and on a wider note.
    Just a thought.
    But what did people of yesterday do ?.
    You know, before fridges, larders, etc.
    I bet sorting breakfast took a bit more focus.

binners

miketually – do you have ‘staff’ to prepare that lot? 😀

If not, what time do you get up? 😯

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to breakfast before I’ve gone to sleep at night.

This. I love breakfast, but helps that I can’t function without it. I could eat muesli/weetabix three times a day!

Keva
    Free Member

I wake up hungry and love eating breakfast. The only time I leave the house without having any is if I’m on my way out to get some.

Solo… bread, oats, gruel?

Kev

Solo
    Free Member

Solo… bread, oats, gruel?

Eh ?. Not sure what you’re saying there.

However, if you read my earlier post……

Forget that grain based cr4p that Nestle, Warburton or Alpen would have you eat.

Try egg and Bacon, Omelette containing meat and pepper, a couple of scotch eggs, scrambled eggs and worcestershire sauce.
    The list is endless.

HTH
    😉

prezet
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think another problem is routine – having breakfast means getting up at least 30 minutes earlier. No problem in summer, this time of year it’s a struggle just to get out of a warm bed 😀

OK – tomorrow, I’m gonna get up at 6am, straight to the kitchen and have bacon with eggy bread. Hmmm. I could do a huge plate of that right now. But I know at 6am, the idea of it will make me want to throw 🙁

Solo
    Free Member

Oooo !.

Look !, I’ve just eaten the fishy.
    8)

Not too bad when you consider I have very little in the way of prep.
    Cooking a chunk of fish in a microwave aint easy you know.
    But I’ve found a way.

rocketman
    Free Member

Whale omelette?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_(Blackadder)

I’m looking forward to breakfast before I’ve gone to sleep at night.

+1

deadpixel1
    Free Member

I’m the same mate. couldnt eat breakfast, only coffee but then suffered from low energy and 10am hunger. Figured out fruit was the answer. I have an apple and a plum each morning first thing or a lide of toast with jam, then drink the coffee when i get to work. problem solved. Im not sluggish in the mornings anymore and dont feel hungry till close to lunch time

prezet
    Free Member

Well, didn’t happen 🙁 same problem again.

Solo
    Free Member

If no eaty, then try a drinky ?.

yunki
    Free Member

four oatcakes.. drizzle of olive oil and four rashers crispy streaky bacon washed down with two big mugs of strong sweet builders tea..

omnomnom

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I love breakfast, by far the best meal of the day.

Toast.
    Porridge.
    Muesli with an orange squeezed over it and yoghurt.
    Scrambled eggs.
    Boiled eggs.
    Ham.
    Cheese.
    Full English.
    Sausage sarnie.
    Bacon buttie.
    Yoghurt.
    Fruit.
    On a hangover there is a choice of leftover whatever you didn’t finish the night before.
    And the all important coffee.

That’s it I’m off to the kitchen.

The girlfriend on the other hand can’t do breakfast until she has been awake at least an hour.

Nick

How far is your commute? If I do my 20 miler on just a cup of tea I find the ride fine but I get snoozy at about 10am, having a small bowl of cereal half an hour before leaving the house seems to solve that, but I don’t notice any difference in the ride.

prezet
    Free Member

How far is your commute? If I do my 20 miler on just a cup of tea I find the ride fine but I get snoozy at about 10am, having a small bowl of cereal half an hour before leaving the house seems to solve that, but I don’t notice any difference in the ride.

Not far, only about 7 miles each way. However I do tend to go at a steady 18mph on a fixed.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I hardly ever ate breakfast until about 5 years ago. I’d often scuttle off to work on an espresso and around 10ish I’d then pop around the corner to get something to eat. I used to use this 10ish meal as my breakfast and then eat again about 2ish where lunch would kick in. Weekends weren’t too disimilar either so I just went with what my body wanted and when.
    Even if I go on long rideouts I rarely eat a big breakie, often only a coupe of hard boiled eggs and coffee and even then it’s quite a struggle to eat the eggs, but go on the fact that I must need something or I’ll colapse.
    When I used to train and race years ago I’d eat like a horse, but then I’d be burning 7000 calories a day so I needed some thing, but that was a few years ago now.

lunge

Try something that isn’t too “breakfasty”, perhaps that you can prepare the night before.

I would suggest malt loaf, buttered and sliced the night before, maybe some fruit.

Cougar

I’m the same. The thought of anything more than coffee in a morning turns my stomach. Once I’ve been up for an hour or so I could eat, but don’t really feel a need to. I’ll generally have lunch about 1pm, though it can be anywhere from 11am to just skipping straight through till teatime. If I’m busy, I sometimes just forget to eat. When I do eat, I typically eat large portions.

loum
    Free Member

The rest of last night’s kebab washed down with that half full tinnie of white cider.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Breakfast’ is closed to new replies.