Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Break pads
  • bornready
    Free Member

I am relatively new to the MTB scene, I have a 2009 enduro comp and I am due some new brake pads. The bike came with Custom Avid Elixir R SL, Alloy backed organic pads. There are lots of exapmles on wiggle, chain reaction and ebay (ebay having the cheapest options by far) are there any i should steer clear of?

Are Avid Elixir pads universal across the range?

william
    Free Member

Superstar components do cheap pads, lots of people on here will slate them, but mine have been fine and lasted for ages. They might not last as long as standard ones, but for 1/4 of the price they are good.

carl
    Free Member

http://www.discobrakes.com/?s=0&t=0&c=2&p=838&

i use these guys,like William says about slating also but ive had no issues.Dont bother with alloy backed thats just a silly weight saving.
    Sintered will see you through the summer if we have a good one.

bornready
    Free Member

Cool thanks.

Can you explain what the difference is between sintered and organic?

Is it a performance thing?

sc-xc

I used superstar once, but all of my (8) legs fell off.

bornready
    Free Member

ha ha can you expand on that?

seanodav
    Free Member

Your not roscoe by any chance? 😀

bornready
    Free Member

ha ha thats me 😆

how did you know

seanodav
    Free Member

Hi mate, was reading your post and thought i recognised your detail so looked at your profile it had to be you really. 😉

grantway
    Free Member

Mine normaly have a KitKat 😉

bornready
    Free Member

Will the pads on my Avids be the same as yours even though they different models?

seanodav
    Free Member

Think the elixr are diff to juicy, but as per carls link above thet should be ok, never tried em myslef but seem ok according to people on here

seanodav
    Free Member

Are you riding tomorrow?

toons
    Free Member

I tested the nuke proof brake pads & I can highly recommend them.

I found they lasted longer than any other pad.

bornready
    Free Member

Wont be riding tomorrow so i'm fresh for this triathlon on Sun. Was thinking about heading over to Whinlatter on Mon until I had to fork out for those 2 new tyres for my car! Where you boys riding this weekend?

bornready
    Free Member

whats the crack with sintered and organic then?

seanodav
    Free Member

Think we're heading over to the lakes, maybe gonna do garburn pass in both directions but still undecided, good luck with the triathlon.

edit: sintered are harder wearing but not as powerfull, i would get them if i were you

bornready
    Free Member

think the forecast is pretty good it should be a good ride out. gutted i'm missing it but hopefully catch the next away day

jonb
    Free Member

As above sintered are better for the mud and wet we get a lot of but you sacrifice power compared to the organic. It depends on where you ride. Some places eat pads others don't. On the quantocks I could use whatever but one ride on Kielder will eat a set of Sintered if it's wet, organic wouldn't last more than one descent. If you are off to the alps then organic.

Oh and Discobrakes for my Elixir pads.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Break pads’ is closed to new replies.