Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 158 total)
  • Bread…what to replace it with/alternatives
  • mogrim

Mmmm crumpet. Made scones for the first time this weekend, great success. Using white flour and caster sugar, of course. Still, the jam on top counts as 1 of my 5-a-day, right?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Whereas I think that sensible eating starts with avoiding any food that has its own TV advert. If binners and I ever met, there would probably be one of those matter-antimatter explosions.

vondally
    Free Member

thanks all for the suggestions

talked the person early this morning part of the issue is the psychology of food and diet, they have got used to being full all the time, hence the need for the alternatives to bread, it is about subtle changes not fad dieting which is what they have been doing.

Lots of ideas and thoughts…..some passed on some reworded

ransos
    Free Member

It’s not really that different. Fat’s added to lots of traditional breads in similar (around the 1-2% mark) or significantly greater proportions to chorleywood (and the like) processed loaves.

You prove my point: Chorleywood process bread accounts for around 80% of the market, and relies on extra fat and additives. It also uses lower protein wheat.

I’ll stick to the homemade thanks, I know exactly what’s in it.

teasel
    Free Member

Very occasionally I will rely on a friend to pick up a loaf of bread for me. On one such occasion a loaf of Allinson wholemeal shite was presented. I reluctantly ate a few slices before throwing it out for the deer, badgers or foxes. Nothing would touch it apart from the fat greedy pigeons. The deer had a sniff and there was a WTF recoil.

I have no idea what they put in that shit but all the other stuff seems to get hoovered up in no time.

I like bread, personally, but there are some nice alternative casings on this thread.

binners

I can’t believe that there are people who are prepared to deprive themselves of this

I don’t understand your world, you monsters!

zilog6128

God damn fad diet crap. It’s really not difficult at all, eat whatever you want but follow a few simple guiding principles:
    Avoid if possible processed food.

So no bread then? 🙂

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I read somewhere that the Chorleywood Method was adopted to avoid the long rising process that bread traditionally went through. That being the commercial equivalent of leaving the dough overnight, somewhere warm, in a bowl with a cloth over it. In commercial bakeries this meant loaves sat on conveyer belts winding their way slowly through the roof spaces. Instead more yeast is used, the fermentation happens quickly and is ended with jets of steam.

If you know betterer, please correct me.

So the downside might be that the yeast doesn’t get to go through the full cycle as it used to, and so doesn’t make the same amount of B-vits. And maybe the bread goes into the oven already full of steam.

If you know betterer…

Perhaps it is easier to transport, and keeps longer?

ransos
    Free Member

I read somewhere that the Chorleywood Method was adopted to avoid the long rising process that bread traditionally went through.

That’s correct.

So the downside might be that the yeast doesn’t get to go through the full cycle as it used to, and so doesn’t make the same amount of B-vits. And maybe the bread goes into the oven already full of steam.

It also means extra fat, aeration and additives, or the process doesn’t work.

Perhaps it is easier to transport, and keeps longer?

I’m sure you’re right. My homemade bread only stays fresh for a couple of days, whereas shop-bought crap lasts for ages.

molgrips
    Free Member

I thought the additives were just vitamin C?

Is bread is really that bad for you?

For some people, apparently. And not for others.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Instead more yeast is used, the fermentation happens quickly and is ended with jets of steam.

It’s mostly a mechanical process whereby the dough has the shit kicked out of it in a pressure controlled mixer so that air bubbles are introduced into the dough and then expanded by the dough being exposed to a vacuum. There is a fair bit of yeast involved (though not as much as people seem to think) but that’s mostly to give a fast prove afterwards as far as I understand it. The purpose of the additives is to encourage this dough to bond together into a stable mass. I wasn’t aware that the fat’s necessary for this process but ransos probably knows better than I do.

The keeping time is in no small part down to the fat content. If you add say 20ml of oil to your dough before kneading you’ll find it keeps much better – this is something people have known for thousands of years. This is the main reason it’s added in the CBP.

There’s a good article about it here by the by: http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/Issues/2009/October/Ontherise.asp

ransos
    Free Member

They have to add enzymes to make it rise quicker, and emulsifiers to make it hold more air. The enzymes are not listed on the ingredients label.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Not just, take a look at the article I just linked for more details but there are enzymes added to achieve various ends.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Thanks for the linky LS. It’s nice to know that they’ve stopped using Bromine.

Solo
    Free Member

guiding principles:
    Avoid if possible processed food.
    That be bread then.
    Eat more fruit and veg.
    No carbs after 5pm.
    Drink more water.

I call: FAD DIET!

Does anyone here remember their first pint of beer? How did it make you feel?

rocketman
    Free Member

Sacked off bread in 2007 two years after I sacked off sugar. No particular reason it just started to taste sickly sweet

Bread shouldn’t be a staple food imo

binners

Some people on this thread are clearly absolutely hatstand bonkers masochists! Are you not even allowed pitta bread? What on earth do you do on the way back from the pub after a good piss up?

Chilli sauce?

lemonysam
    Free Member

Some people on this thread are clearly absolutely hatstand bonkers masochists! Are you not even allowed pitta bread? What on earth do you do on the way back from the pub after a good piss up?

Tsk, when we make shwarma at home we serve it with Quinoa and Spelt and Rye wraps don’cha know.

/sadly not actually joking.

teasel
    Free Member

I’m bloody salivating again…!

molgrips
    Free Member

Some people on this thread are clearly absolutely hatstand bonkers masochists! not fat slow pie obsessed northerners

FTFY 🙂

trickydisco
    Free Member

lemonysam do you work for the bread marketing board or something?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tsk, when we make shwarma at home we serve it with Quinoa and Spelt and Rye wraps don’cha know.
    /sadly not actually joking

Bet it’s a fair trade elephant leg too with organic lamb hoof and come lips…

lemonysam
    Free Member

lemonysam do you work for the bread marketing board or something?

No, it’s just something I’m interested in.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Bet it’s a fair trade elephant leg too with organic lamb hoof and come lips…

Do you know how hard it is to find a source of free range mechanically reclaimed testicle?

stumpy01

I just swapped from the big loafs (erm, loaves?) of bread to the smaller loaves (erm, loafs?) that you can get. So, instead of about 100 cals/slice, they are about 55cals/slice and are smaller.

But, I still have a sandwich. It’s just a bit smaller and has about half of the bread calories.
    I also sometimes have those Warburtons thins that binners linked to; but we get the wholemeal ones, rather than white. They don’t toast well though.

Solo
    Free Member

binners – Member

Some people on this thread are clearly absolutely hatstand bonkers
    😉

cheese@4p

The one and only substitute for bread is liquid bread AKA BEER
    No good for sarnies though.

binners

Stumpy having lunch….

😀

Solo
    Free Member

The one and only substitute for bread is liquid bread AKA BEER

The thing about beer is, ime, the first pint of your life, is likely to provide you with the feeling of being drunk to some degree or another.
    Then, as time passes and if you find you like drinking beer, you may also find that you can drink more on subsequent occasions.
    As we know, this is down to people developing a tolerance, a certain resistance to beer/alcohol consumption.

The same could be said about insulin. When you’re young, your body is very sensitive to insulin, all your cells and organs are sensitive to the hormone and all is as it was designed to be…
    But, as time passes and depending on the glycemic load of your daily diet throughout those passing years. You may expose those cells and organs to more insulin during that time. This again can lead to a certain degree of insulin resistance.
    The only issue that then remains is how insulin resistant one’s body becomes over time and whether that’s a bad thing.

Go figure.
    🙂

stumpy01

^^ Binners, startlingly accurate….

Is that from my Facebook page?

Solo
    Free Member

stumpy01 – Member

^^ Binners, startlingly accurate….

What? You have long hair and wear green eye shadow!
    😯

tomaso
    Free Member

Beer is the perfect post ride recovery drink, no argument.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Beer is the perfect post ride recovery drink, no argument.

FTFY

binners

Can I raise a pertinent question for the flour-phobic please?

How do you cope at buffets? I’m only asking as we’ve had an enormous one delivered for lunch today. Its from the fab bakery down the road, and of a very northern leaning. Theres a whole world of lovely butties, little mini pizzas, and their frankly fantastic chilli sausage rolls, and stuff. The salad is of such an inconsequential quantity that it could only really be described as a garnish

Would you be able to eat any of this? Or would you have to look on aghast at the porkers shovelling stuff in?

hora
    Free Member

I stopped eating pasta and bread lateish last year (cant remember when). Now I have bacon bap on a Sat or Sun am and thats it.

Its no biggy. Drop potatoes/pasta and keep a wee bit of bread and you’re laughin.

molgrips
    Free Member

How do you cope at buffets?

Meat.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

How do you cope at buffets? Binners – I don’t live in the north, for which I’m grateful. Salad, cheese, rice, fruit: that sort of southern extravagance that ends about Glos.

Solo
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

How do you cope at buffets?

Meat.

Excellent reply. Bread, grains, are a very cheap and nutritionally poor source of calories.
    Something that people don’t need if they have access to meat and veg.
    😉

stumpy01

Solo – Member

What? You have long hair and wear green eye shadow!

Erm, Hello!! It’s blue, not green….. 🙄

😆

nickc

don’t touch buffets

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 158 total)

The topic ‘Bread…what to replace it with/alternatives’ is closed to new replies.