Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Bread makers – fast bake programme
  • LadyGresley
    Free Member

Does anyone use the fast bake option? And if so, have you got a recipe that actually rises? This morning’s country grain was rather heavy, but exceedingly tasty, and a very small loaf, so I may have eaten, errr, most of it. The 3 or 3 1/2 hr options work well, but I didn’t want brunch at 2pm!

northernmatt

I haven’t got one so can’t comment but my mum has one with a timer setting so she can bung all the stuff in the night before and has fresh bread in the morning.

lemonysam
    Free Member

If it has manual settings it should be pretty easy to set something up for this: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/nov/21/flash-loaf-bread-baking-recipe

I’ve made it in my parents machine before.

swdan
    Free Member

Bookmarks for future reference

sheeps

I use the fast-bake option on our Panasonic (ancient – about 7 yrs old) when I realise we’ve eaten all the bread for breakfast that was intended for lunch!!

I have found that it helps to put a little extra yeast in (maybe an extra 1/4tsp – ours typically takes 1tsp as standard), use luke warm water, and soft butter. Note that if the water is too hot, it’ll kill the yeast, but at about 25 degrees it seems to rise as well as the normal program.

kcal

+1 for extra yeast; Vit C tablets in case the yeast/flour is below par; and olive oil rather than butter.

Pook

We use fast bake on our Panasonic. Never had a problem, rises not quite as far, but still rises

skolt
    Free Member

Yes, warm water and an extra pinch of yeast.

Marko

Just popped a loaf out . . .

Panasonic on fast bake (4 hours). About 75% organic wholemeal and 25% organic white. 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp yeast, 350 ml water, dash of oil and a pinch of salt.

Rises nearly to the top. Reduce the wholemeal and it rises even more, so for your ‘country loaf’ swap out a quarter of your flour (say) for strong white flour and give it a try

Hth
    Marko

LadyGresley
    Free Member

We looked for but couldn’t find Vit C tablets, so bought some powder – any ideas of how much to add?

lemonysam
    Free Member

About a teaspoon is the usual suggestion.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

4 hours for a fast bake? Blimey, our normal bake is only just over 3 hours! The fast bake is about an hour.

Marko

The fast bake is about an hour.

Not my choice – Mr Panasonic decided that 4 hours was the fast bake – or rather ‘basic’. No other option on our 10 plus year old machine.

I can’t see how you can make a loaf that quick.

You do mean an hour from start to finished loaf?

Marko

Junkyard
    Free Member

you cannot make a loaf in one hour and expect it to rise unless you wish to use the Chorleywood method or in this case use “fizz” for yeast action

It takes about 30-40 minutes alone to cook it

Sandwich

I’m with Junkyard. Good bread takes time to make.

Must get a new sourdough mother going.

lemonysam
    Free Member

you cannot make a loaf in one hour and expect it to rise unless you wish to use the Chorleywood method or in this case use “fizz” for yeast action

As it happens, even the CBP takes about an hour and a half start to finish.

That flash loaf I posted above is the best fast bread I’ve made. Start to finish in about 2h. Quicker than that and you’re into Soda Bread territory. You could try a classic Grant Loaf, you could probably get it down to about 90mins.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Must get a new sourdough mother going.

Nods approvingly

sharkbait
    Free Member

+1 Sandwich.

Although I love my handmade malted loaves I really must try sourdough.

Why do people add sugar and Vit C?? It’s not needed.

BadlyWiredDog

I use the 90-minute fast bake on mine quite successfully, it’s some Morphy Richards thing. I use 200g of Granary flour, 300g of white, a bit of salt, tablespoon of malt extract and 1 1/4 teaspoons of dried yeast and 320ml of warmish water. I found using the usual 350ml of water made the loaf really doughy so I reduced the water content.

The resulting loaf is smaller and more dense than one made with a full three-hour programme – less rise – but I really like it. Makes great post-ride fish finger sarnies…

djglover
    Free Member

As above, we get good results with extra yeast and 30% white flour for the quick programme, but our quick programme is 3hrs!

lemonysam
    Free Member

It makes different bread. In fact in sugar’s a large part of what you’re adding as malt, why do you add that?

sharkbait
    Free Member

I don’t…. it’s [ready] malted flour.

kcal

because without the Vit C, on the whole (even using strong white and wholemeal bread flour) there is less rise – gluten substitute IIRC.

lemonysam
    Free Member

because without the Vit C, on the whole (even using strong white and wholemeal bread flour) there is less rise – gluten substitute IIRC.

Not really a gluten substitute. Ascorbic Acid oxidises one of the chemicals which forms the same sort of bonds to gluten as gluten does to itself which means that there’s less disruption to the interlinking between the protein strands that make up gluten which helps it to stretch.

There’s a decent article about this stuff (which I posted in a bread thread the other day) here:
    http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/Issues/2009/October/Ontherise.asp

Marko

Starting the yeast off in warm water with a bit of sugar seems to give it a kick start. (That’s for standard dry yeast, not the bread making machine stuff). I don’t add Vit C because as far as I know bread flour already has it added?

Marko

bencooper
    Free Member

Yup, I use the fast program all the time. Usual recipe is:

500g flour
    1.25tsp sugar
    1.25tsp salt
    25g butter substitute
    350ml water
    1.25tsp yeast

lemonysam
    Free Member

Some does, some doesn’t. For example, Waitrose Strong white does and Sainsbury’s strong white doesn’t.

All flour contains calcium carbonate, iron, thiamin and
    niacin.

Sandwich

All flour contains calcium carbonate, iron, thiamin and niacin.

Unless you buy from France when on holiday.

Sharkbait I’ve managed to find an ersatz recipe for Veda type bread without having to buy 32kg sacks of the Veda flour mix. Still a work in progress but the texture is right.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Bread makers – fast bake programme’ is closed to new replies.