Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Brands available through SportPursuit
  • SaxonRider

Some of their stuff looks really nice, and the prices look amazing. Then, when you look up the brand, it something no one has ever heard of based in some Eastern European company, and the prices they are selling for on SP are the same as they are available for anywhere else on the web.

They seem a bit like an online ‘Go Outdoors’ or TK Maxx with artificially-reduced prices (in that they were never that expensive to begin with). Is this the case, or are the deals all legit? Is there any legislation governing them that means the reductions are actually based on a genuine full price that applies for a majority of the time?

wrecker
    Free Member

Yep there’s a lot of filler on there. Occasionally you do get bonafide bargains from good brands though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

what i generallly do is when someone suggests XYZ and then links to sports pursuit – is completely ignore it .

Sports pursuit = waste of time.

If the kits good id rather pay a bit more and get it from a decent company that isnt an absolute shambles.

jimmy

Agree with wrecker, bargains to be had. Ignore the guff in between.

chakaping
    Free Member

are the deals all legit? Is there any legislation governing them that means the reductions are actually based on a genuine full price that applies for a majority of the time?

Ask them and let us know what they say, I genuinely expect they’d give you a reply.

I only buy from them when I know what I’m looking at FWIW.

zilog6128

I’ve had some decent kit off there in the past but now formally quality brands like Berghaus are specifically manufacturing stuff for SP to sell at a “discount” I’m more wary.

rOcKeTdOg

Had some well known brand stuff less than half retail price (arguably way overpriced by the manufacturer in the first place) such as howies, dakine, cube, animal & castelli etc. Just gotta do some research first.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Every now and then there’s something actually useful on there. I got some Highlander dry bags for next to nothing.

chakaping
    Free Member

now formally quality brands like Berghaus are specifically manufacturing stuff for SP to sell at a “discount” I’m more wary.

Do you have a source for that?

Gary_M
    Free Member

There is good stuff occasionally, I got some Hirzl Gripp gloves in short and long finger that were about half retail price. But I wasn’t in any rush to get them. Normally I can’t be doing with waiting a month for something to arrive.

But I’d always do a price check before buying anything from there or TK Maxx.

zilog6128

Do you have a source for that?

SP’s own website good enough for you? 🙂

http://www.sportpursuit.com/blog/gear/berghaus-goretex-jackets-under-100/

GrahamS

It’s a mixed bag.

Like going to a Poundshop – some things are marked down to a pound, others are marked up. So it pays to check other sites, but there are definitely some good bargains on there and plenty of well-known brands as well as relatively unknown European stuff.

mrjmt
    Free Member

I was recently very impressed with their customer service.

My mistake in ordering some howies bib tights that I thought were padded but weren’t. I emailed them to ask them to cancel the order but they had already dispatched it as they were in stock.

Not a problem, I returned them, they refunded my return postage along with my original order value including delivery.

Not sure that all online retailers would have done this and without any hassle.

Also, I bought a rab waterproof that was made ‘specially for them. Pertex + fabric, performs really well – was breathable enough to not boil me in 100% humidity in malaysian jungle.

jimdubleyou

What’s different about this rather than a normal Berghaus Gore-tex Shell?

Seems like it’s got less pockets than mine and doesn’t have any 3in1 zips which might be where they have saved, but 3 layer goretex is the same material isn’t it?

chakaping
    Free Member

SP’s own website good enough for you?

http://www.sportpursuit.com/blog/gear/berghaus-goretex-jackets-under-100/

Totally, but importantly they are not claiming to be selling at a discount (which would be dishonest).

On another note, I don’t get why people get excited about SP’s own brand cycling gear – looks mediocre and overpriced to me. I think that is a case of “it’s on SP so it must be a bargain”.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’ve yet to buy anything from them, partly because I’m usually only shopping with something fairly specific in mind and you can generally get a better choice at the same sort of prices on the wider web.
    That’s not to say they don’t have some good deals on there, but they haven’t lined up with what I’m after yet.
    Personally I’m a bit wary of stuff from known brands that doesn’t seem to exist anywhere else except for one particular site. Not sure why though!

AlexSimon

The few good prices I’ve seen on there, I’m managed to get for the same price elsewhere but without the massive wait.

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of bargains (morvelo stuff, lazer helmet, some lights) and customer support has been good. I’d shy away from anything with a supposed former premium price that I’ve never heard of and can’t find info about on the net but that’s just me.

GrahamS

when you look up the brand, it something no one has ever heard of based in some Eastern European company, and the prices they are selling for on SP are the same as they are available for anywhere else on the web.

Top seller today is a Garmin Fenix 2 Performer Bundle (which is the Fenix 2 watch + HRM-Run) for £194.99

That’s a brand I have heard of and a decent price.

Garmin list that bundle on their website at £329.99

It’s on Amazon and eBay at £219.99

monde
    Free Member

In the past have bought Haglofs and Arcteryx clothing off them before at prices way lower than normal. However im finding prices are slowly rising and the same kit is know similarly priced in the European retailers like exxpozed etc without the postage delay.

NZCol

I got Spyder ski gear which I had looked at in shop for 44% less than the sale price in the shop. As said, some bobbins, some good stuff.

scotroutes

I’ve bought loads from them – but then I also had a lot of £5 credits from introducing most of STW to the site (before referral links were banned) 🙂

As usual;
    check for prices elsewhere
    check availability/delivery is OK for you

They also warrantied a bike-light battery that was 15 months old.

honourablegeorge

exxpozed really are a shambles, though. Terrible communication, no dispatch emails, stuff is never in stock.

But prices are good, and it does arrive

gozarch
    Free Member

My favourite Grip Grab leg warmers came from Sport Pursuit. Less than half the price of Wiggle, and not a particularly long wait either.

Definitely bargains to be had.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I’ve had some real bargains on there, a musto GT jacket, along with other bits. I always check the price online first though, and see where else I can get it.

I generally just buy the brands I know, although had some good kit from the more European brands.

+1 for customer service though. Any issues they are quick to resolve, and if they change delivery dates, I have cancelled without any issues.

onandon
    Free Member

I buy quite a bit from SP. I know my sizes in alot of the brands I like , Arcteryx, Musto etc so just pick up the deals when I need a new item.

DezB
    Free Member

Then, when you look up the brand, it something no one has ever heard of based in some Eastern European company

Which brand is that?
    Most of the stuff I’ve bought lately is Scandinavian and amazing quality for the money: 2117, Bailo, Kilpi for example.

cheers_drive

Kilpi is east European isn’t it?

SaxonRider

Kilpi is Slovakian, and so, I think is the one that starts with a ‘z’. Zupa or Zora or something like that.

DezB
    Free Member

If Finland is considered Eastern Europe

Lucas
    Free Member

I’ve bought a fair amount and always been pleased with the prices, returns and all round service. Got quite a bit of known branded stuff, I think the only unknown brand (to me) was the 2117 softshell I got, which for £30 is ace – also fits me well as its long and thin. Last week I ordered some 3/4 shorts and a slack line for the kids birthday. Next day I noticed a previous email with a discount code I could have used – I emails them and they refunded me the saving I would have made.

vinnyeh

Bought a lot of stuff from them- returns are quick and easy, and they give you 14 days to generate a returns form, plus another month to actually return the stuff, so I’m happy to buy things on spec- two or three sizes of an item, or a whole selection of the same item from different manufacturers.

robdixon
    Free Member

the occasional bargains are well worth watching out for. I got a beautiful HTC Lezyne portable tool kit for about £70 a few years back. The cheapest alternative I could find anywhere else was well over £200.

Kamakazie

I’d echo a lot of the above. Just check other retailers before buying.
    Some of the unknown brand stuff is top kit from smaller EU brands.
    Others are major brands that don’t have a UK presence.
    Then there’s some overpriced guff but that’ll be a minority.

Anything with Goretex should be of aa certain standard though. I was under the impression that Gore QC products from all their manufacturing partners.

footflaps

I was under the impression that Gore QC products from all their manufacturing partners.

They do and in many cases they actually make the garments for them and finance it. Quite a remarkable company to do business with.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Brands available through SportPursuit’ is closed to new replies.