Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Brand new Stans Flow leaking air through rim joint
  • Naranjada
    Free Member

I have a brand new Stans Flow rim that I just fitted with a UST tyre and it won’t hold air pressure for more than a few hours. On investigation air is leaking through the rim joint!

I’m new to Stans rims. Has anyone else had a similar issue, is this at all common?

TrevorB

I would say not common at all. Are you using Stans 25mm tape? Did you scuff up the rim first to get the tape to adhere?
    Might be worth putting a tube in and leave overnight to ensure the tape is stuck properly. I had a leaky Mavic rim at the join, the jizz will seal it in time if all else fails.

spooky_b329

As above, yellow tape probably leaking. When you apply it you are meant to stretch it pretty hard, then pop a tube in to bed it into the rim. Watch the Stans vids.

Naranjada
    Free Member

Yeah, I used 25mm tape but it’s leaking through the side of the rim & the tape doesn’t go that far round. I’ve not used any of Stan’s jizz but then I shouldn’t need to with a UST tyre and tape …or should I?

TBH I’m not totally confident that the rim has the strength and integrity that it should have, the welded joint looks quite weak.

Naranjada
    Free Member

Thanks spooky, I’ll take a look at the videos.

I was careful applying the tape and did stretch it taut across the rim bed. The rear rim sealed fine first time.

I’m new to UST so maybe I’m worrying over nothing.

spooky_b329

If you mean its leaking through the joint where traditionally a brake pad would contact, then its not the tape, its the rim 🙁

Naranjada
    Free Member

I just inspected it, the tape’s perfect.

It’s leaking through the joint where the bead hook is so the rim’s most definitely dodgy. I’ll chase it up on the phone tomorrow.

Cheers.

trail_rat
    Free Member

You aint running stans jizz – even with a ust tire itll never stay up !

You need ust rims for that. Stans are not ust

Yetiman
    Free Member

Yup, add the jizz and you should be fine. My UST tyres will inflate ok on Flows without milk but are soft again the next morning. With milk they stay inflated.

njee20
    Free Member

+1 for adding some Stan’s sealant – if nothing else it’ll give you some puncture protection, even on true UST rims.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yes, spunk needed.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Brand new Stans Flow leaking air through rim joint’ is closed to new replies.