Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Brand new Shimano XT brake lever slow to return?
  • mbarnes
    Free Member

My new bike has just been delivered, just finished unwrapping it before leaving it for the night. I need to have a proper play and set it all up but i did notice the rear brake lever feels a lot slower / stiffer than the front and when you let go of the lever it kind of slowly moves back to position whereas the front lever will quickly spring back.

will this go with a bit of pumping (did a bit already) or does it sound like an issue / bleed?

thanks.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The most common fault with xt brakes is the master piston getting sticky in the bore. There’s no fix when it does this as you can disassemble the lever to see the it but you can’t get into it. People seem not to mind too much as its only £30 for a lever.

Without seeing it, I can’t be certain but it sounds like that’s what’s happening with yours. Depending on where you got it, they might send a new brake out, or you might have to return the whole bike.

kayak23

I’ve used xt’s for ages now. Mine have done this to varying degrees since my first set. I’ve just replaced one whole rear brake (not because of a specific fault, just age and wear)and the new one isn’t particularly snappy.

They work very well though and so I notice it less.
    Up to you really but I’d at least mention it to the supplier.

mbarnes
    Free Member

cheers for the information. wasnt bought from a local bike shop as its quite a new bike, so have emailed the company i got it from.

I have video’d the lever action, although its more in the feel than the look, but the rear brake (right in the video as watching) is stiff to compress as returns slowly, compared to the left brake which is really reactive and easy to compress.

http://youtu.be/rp7dQ9Q5pwE

will see what the bike shop says but might need to then take it somewhere local. bit annoying after spending £6k but fingers crossed its nothing that cant be sorted easily.

kayak23

Yeah that doesn’t look good to me. I’d ask for a replacement.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp7dQ9Q5pwE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

mbarnes
    Free Member

doh! the disadvantage of not buying through a LBS i guess.

Will see what they say, so far they have been excellent in every respect so here’s hoping it carries on.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Brand new Shimano XT brake lever slow to return?’ is closed to new replies.