Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)
  • Braking with one finger – who really does it?
  • yetiguy
    Free Member

Look at most mags and bike brochures etc and you will see peeps braking with one finger. I have a set of hope minis and can't seem to trust the stopping power that I will get out of one finger. So I use two but that only leaves two fingers on the bar and when coming down rocky bumpy descents I feel like I need more control on the grips.

I have specced a set of hope 4 pots on my new bike. Any idea if they are more suited to one finger braking?

grumm
    Free Member

Brake less. 🙂

nickc

Me, or I least I try to.. Brakes are Deore 525 with Goodridge hoses, so they're like on-off switches anyway

ton

i do, with avid bb7s and shimano saints.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Do it, you wont look back.

I ride 100% of the time, even on the commuter with one finger braking.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep I do, and I brake more than most…

djglover
    Free Member

Yes, learned it in my DH days, use middle finger too as it's even less prone to arm pain then

kiwijohn

Do you seriously need 2?
    I've 1 finger braked since I got disks, Julies, BB7s, Juicy 7s.

tinsy
    Free Member

sometimes, depends what and where..

Lifer
    Free Member

Can lock up both wheels no problem 1 finger braking on my Elixirs

PJ266
    Free Member

Apparently I do, all the pics Im in I am anyway. Didnt think I did though

Wrongun
    Free Member

Me, and with my middle finger right on the end of the lever. Works very well

jedi

i only use one finger on both mtb and bmx. 2 finger braking feels wrong to me now

cheers_drive

Have been 1 finger braking for a few years now and can't imagine going back. More than enough power. Avid Juicys and Formula Oros.

ahwiles
    Free Member

me.

i've been one-finger-braking since i first started using disc brakes.

you really don't need hope 4-pots (the 4 pot thing is a gimmick anyway, it makes sense on motorbikes where separating one piston into 2 means a smaller section disc can be used = lighter. it makes sense on cars where separating one piston into 2 means you can effectively fit a bigger piston between the wheel and the hub. 4 pot brakes are not more powerfull, but they are more expensive, so we get persuaded to buy them)

if you need to use 2 fingers, then it's a clear sign that you need to clean your discs, and buy some new pads – metal, they last longer.

no, i don't have forearms like popeye, i just have clean brakes.

stumpy01

Never used to. Got mad arm pump first year I went to Spain.
    Couldn't move brake levers due to stupid gear indicator windows though, so this year I made some covers for the shifters, took the indicator windows off and set my brakes up for 1 finger.

Much better. More confident descending as you don't have all your fingers wrapped round the brake, but on the grips. And the brakes are plenty strong enough for 1 finger.
    Some of the long techy descents that I am not very confident on, I ended up reverting to 2 fingers, as I started to get a bit of arm pump but nowhere near as bad as the year before. Probably more due to me gripping the bars to tight than the influence of braking.

domino

Yep I do (Shimano XT brakes).

Bregante

yep. middle finger. Juicy 7's and Hayes Stroker's. Agree with stumpy that any arm pump I suffer on long/scary descents is probably more to do with being too tense/gripping too tightly

yoshimi

yep me – last time I remember 2 finger braking was at the end of a week in the Alps when my body was shot and just didn't have any power left in my arms

DickBarton

Me, I've only ever used 1 finger since I went to v-brakes…never needed to use any more – plus I've got my brakes set up so only my index finger can grab the lever…I used to use my middle finger to brake but after a skills course I went back to my index finger as I had more control (for my new found extreme riding style!!!) over the bars using my index finger to brake with.

llama

index finger with bite close to the bars

vees or disks and even on the drops on my road bike

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Sometimes one, sometimes two fingers (on the brakes that is)
    Magura Julie HPs and Older XTs off road, Deore Vees on the commuter.
    My old Hope Minis always needed two fingers though to stop quickly. I think older Hopes were regarded as being a bit underpowered compared to others.

fbk
    Free Member

2 fingers? Middle finger? Freaks! 😉

I used to have to use 2 fingers with my old Mono Minis but since changing to Elixirs, bring the levers inboard on the bars about an inch, and having the bite point close the the bar it's 1 (index) finger all the way 🙂

Jase_MK
    Free Member

No problems with getting enough power but I find the lever hits my knuckles if only using one finger. Maybe I have a strange grip or something

therealhoops
    Free Member

me, I can endo and skid my Elixir R's with my little fingers. Absolutely true. My Hope C2's could do it as well, just.

jedi

move your levers inward mk jase.

freeridenick
    Free Member

run your levers really close to the bars and quite far in – then you will minimize hand pump.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

shifted over to one finger braking a few years ago. reduced hand fatigue, better grip on the bars – what's not to like?

james
    Free Member

1 finger on avid juicys. Because of the slightly longer stroke than most brakes I don't think you could use middle finger and be able to get full power. It may be worth considered how long the brake levers are. Avids are comparitively quite short, so I can get away with leaving the shifters (complete with windows) inside of the brake levers?

1 finger on the hope mono minis for XC riding. Need 2 to get any power out of them for 'big hill' riding though

2 fingers on the low-end V-brakes on the commuter

devs
    Free Member

Middle finger??????? That's weird. It's the strongest finger you have and if you are using it you might as well be using two. You need it on the bars IMNSHO. Can you middle finger brakers do a manual/wheelie and feather the brake at the same time? Thinking about it just feels wrong. 🙂

nickegg
    Free Member

I do…..something wrong with your brakes/fingers if you need to use two!

tops5
    Free Member

i use the middle finger – Index finger seems stronger on the bars

peachos
    Free Member

what's all this middle finger braking about?!

i ride on so many people's bike who don't seem to have their brakes set up. I know everyone likes to have the set up differently but i'll never understand how having the lever almost horizontal and wound right out gives you enough control.

got mine set up pointing down about 2 inches from horizontal with a good inch between the mount and the inside end of the grip (and shifter even further inside from the brake) and wound in so the bite is about 1cm off the bar.

jedi

further up is better than too far down brake wise.

Olly
    Free Member

always.

levers are located inboard so that index finger grips on the very end of the lever (nicely seated in the hook bit) which is fine in 99% of situations.

Shimano XT, Hayes nines & C2s , all of those 180mm rotor on the front

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Only ever used one finger since getting cable/hydraulic disc brakes; one of the advantages over rim brakes.

I think it helps to push the levers toward the stem a bit and then move your hands to the outside of the grips when descending which improves leverage and puts your forefinger over the crook on the end of the lever. Adjust the lever throw to optimise your finger power at the braking point – a bit trial and error but worthwhile to reduce effort and fatigue.

I'm probably never going fast enough to need two finger braking 😉

I'm a one finger braker as well.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"urther up is better than too far down"

Yes that's true. I reviewed my lever angle a while back based on my body position when descending. Raising the angle of the levers a bit has helped drop my chest and elbows comfortably to get lower over the bike.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Always index finger only on Hope Mono Minis. All the professionals use index finger and the Lopez/McCormack skills book says index only so I reckon it must be right.

Using the middle finger restricts the lever travel as it traps the index finger on the bar.

95% of the time I do not have power issues with the Mono Minis. Key is to get the lever far enough inboard so that the index finger is right on the end of the lever for maximum leverage. I reckon a lot of people are actually grabbing the middle of the lever

walla24
    Free Member

hayes 9's 203mm rotors…..1 finger only

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Braking with one finger – who really does it?’ is closed to new replies.