• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by poah.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Brakes – Zee vs Saint
  • wl
    Free Member

Any reason to splash out the extra on Saint brakes over Zee? I hear Zee are plenty powerful and reliable, and great for alpine descents. Ta v much.

yacoby
    Free Member

Tool free reach adjust?

Then again I went Zee over Saint. They were fine.

mindmap3
    Free Member

As above – I’m not fussed about the tool free adjustments because I tend to set my levers and leave them.

My Zee’s were pretty darn good although they did get a bit grumpy if not used regularly.

kayak23

As above – I’m not fussed about the tool free adjustments because I tend to set my levers and leave them.

I was like this but actually used the adjustment a lot recently in the Alps on me XTs.
    Helped when the pads wore or sore fingers and that.

sharkattack

If you buy Saint make sure they work properly. I had a set that never worked right but I kept fiddling with them convinced I could make them work until the warranty period expired.

If you Google ‘Shimano inconsistent lever feel’ or similar you’ll find loads of people with the same problem. The first pull of the lever goes all the way to the bar then gradually pumps up. Not what you want on any trail, especially the ones that Saint and Zee are aimed at.

I’ve got some SLX which are the best brakes I think I’ve ever had. I’d consider Zee if I knew I had a good set.

wl
    Free Member

Interesting. Cheers, people.

accu
    Free Member

another vote for the zee,
    very good, as stated above ..powerful and reliable..
    wasn`t happy with the original brake pads and changed to
    “trickstuff” pads from germany..perfect now

mikey74
    Free Member

Saints are another level above Zee in terms of power, IMO. Personally, for long alpine descents, I’d go for the Saints. I’ve used both in Whistler and I’d choose them every time.

rocketman
    Free Member

The actual calipers are identical apart from some very minor cosmetic differences and functionally they’re identical.. The biggest difference is in the levers whereas Zee are very much SLX the Saints are in XTR territory.

If you’ve not experienced anything else the Zees are perfectly acceptable imagine SLX with another brake in reserve and you won’t go far wrong. saints however are the real deal a more balanced brake system. You may not use the adjustments or be able to tell the difference in levers but if you can you’re reminded of it every time you brake.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I went for Saint because the lever body is metal rather than plastic. Broke 2 plastic XT levers, and now have a few scrapes on the Saints that would have broken the plastic ones

chakaping
    Free Member

Zees are excellent for Alpine riding yeah.

They can suffer from lever pulling to bar, especially if you’re throwing them on the uplift trailer or lift – but same seems to be true of all Shimano brakes and you just need to make sure to “pump” them up before you drop into the trail.

That said, you’ll probably be fine with a new pair.

mikey74
    Free Member

The actual calipers are identical apart from some very minor cosmetic differences and functionally they’re identical.. The biggest difference is in the levers whereas Zee are very much SLX the Saints are in XTR territory.

Don’t Saints have ceramic pistons to reduce over heating?

andyl
    Free Member

SLX have a ceramic piston.

My vote is Hope 😉

singlespeedstu

Saints are another level above Zee in terms of power

Will. I have both and there’s no difference power wise.
    Reach adjustment is nice but not used that often.

mikey74
    Free Member

I have both

Me too :mrgreen:

accu
    Free Member

have also both ( 2 saints,1 zee) and can`t find any difference
    power wise..

julians
    Free Member

Watching this thread with interest, currently have shimano xt 785 brakes,which have been great for a few years now,but thinking it can’t be long before they fail and it’ll probably be when I’m away on a biking holiday,so thinking of changing to saints, but then if the zees are identical in terms of power, then they might be worth a go.

How do zee/Saint compare to guide rs in terms of power?

poah
    Free Member

have both, no difference in power just how it looks and the tool free adjust. I have zee on my dartmoor hornet and saint on my trannie suppressor. I bought the saint purely for looks 🙁

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Brakes – Zee vs Saint’ is closed to new replies.