Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Brakes – any thoughts on Guide Rs vs new XT M8000?
  • wl
    Free Member

Anyone got any experience of these two brakes? Looking for something reliable and powerful, plus not megabucks. Or I could go Deore I guess. Any tips welcome. Ta.

akira

Got some guide rs’s on a new build and im very impressed, got a mate who was on xtr trails and got a new bike with guide rs and he’s happy with them, and he hates avid brakes.
    I know they’re not avid brakes but they are really.

pickle
    Free Member

For the money you just can’t go wrong with Deores to be honest.

I have one on the front and an SLX rear and actually prefer the Deore

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Thread hijack:
    I’ve just received a set of M8000 XTs as warranty replacements.
    Decided that I want to try Hopes so won’t be fitting them and will sell-on as brand-new-in-box if you’re interested.
    £110 collected Preston area.
    email in profile

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve just got the M8000’s on my new bike and they feel a bit nicer than the M615’s on my other bike, I think it’s the dimpled levers.

Other than that, they’re a bit slimmer and look a bit nicer, but no major difference in stopping power.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I was never totally blown away by XTs despite having owned 3 or 4 sets. Zees were much better for my weight/riding stylee.

Just got a set of Guide RS on my Canyon spectral and once I changed the stock pads, they have been very good and I have no plans to change them.

stewartc
    Free Member

There have been a number of threads similar to this recently but I cant seem to find the link, anyway as I wrote in a previously.
    Running XT M8000’s on my trail bike and Guide RSC’s on my bouncy bike and have to say that the Guides feel far better.
    When both sets are working superior to the on/off feel of the XT’s, something I understand that is an issue with 2016 M8000’s.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Can’t comment on the new XTs, but the Guides are quite nice. Only problem for me is I’ve got small hands and the SLX feel a little bit better if my memory doesn’t fail me. May just be a set up issue though.

tom.nash

I have been using the Guides for a while now and prefer the predicability over the XTs – I have had several issues with variable bite point on the Shimano’s that have caused some hairy moments! Still miss not having an effective BPC like the Hope’s.

cokie

I’ve got Guide RS and XTs- the guides are more powerful and can be feathered nicely. The XTs are more than powerful enough, but don’t have the same modulation.

When the going gets rough I don’t really notice what brakes I’m on, they just work. I guess I’m concentrating on other things and know that they are both reliable and will stop me.

I much prefer the look and lever feel of the XTs. I think the Guides look too chunky.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Brakes – any thoughts on Guide Rs vs new XT M8000?’ is closed to new replies.