Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Brakes and rotors
  • surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Looking like I’ll be swapping my well used and generally squidgy or seized Avid Juicys for a set of Formula brakes.

If I continue with the Avid Rotors (160mm)will I die?

gonzy
    Free Member

i run a formula extreme fr brake on the rear with a 160mm shimano deore rotor…..it works fine although i’d prefer a larger rotor size. so long as the rotor thickness and brake surface dimensions are similar to the formula rotors, you should be fine (in theory that is), but don’t blame me if you die!! 😀

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Cheers – I did have a Shimano rotors on it at one point but they dont fit Avid and so the LBS changed them back for me.

How woudl I got about checking the rotor thickness’?

flowerpower
    Free Member

By seeing if they fit between the pads? 🙄 x

eyerideit
    Free Member

I’m using avid rotors with my RX’s and I’m not dead, at least I don’t think I am.

I had to shim out the front caliper a bit as Avis is 183mm and Forumla are designed for 180mm. It’s weird how there’s a few different sizes of 180 rotors but only one for the others.*

*Waits to be corrected

gonzy
    Free Member

How woudl I got about checking the rotor thickness’?

you could take your existing rotor onto a shop that stocks formula discs and measure the rotor thickness against the formula rotors. also check that the brake surface of the rotors are the same….if all good then you’re good to go….or stop as it would seem.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

flowerpower – Member

By seeing if they fit between the pads? x

you are not funny as: If I die then you have to cart my sorry cold carcass off the mountain, didn’t think that through now did you?

davewalsh
    Free Member

All rotors are a standard 2mm thickness so you’ll be fine. Avid do have some compatability issues but that’s only if you try to use a 185 disk with a 180 mount or try and use floating or centrelock rotors with Juicy’s due to the pad removal tabs. I’ve run Formula brakes with Avid rotors in the past (and currently with shimano rotors on one bike) without problems.

somafunk

Not all rotors are 2mm thick, my formula 6 bolt alloy carrier disc rotor is 1.75mm thick and formula brakes generally work to a closer tolerance than other rotors so if you use a rotor such as an Avid Juicy 3 rotor which is 1.8mm thick you may get an occasional brake pad rub but i doubt you’ll die.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I’ve got 2 formula rotors, one is 1.9mm and the other is 2.02mm.

Are you reading the minimum thickness printed on the side?

DanW
    Free Member

I was under the impression that all rotors are the same thickness except for Hayes which use a thicker rotor. The thickness should be 1.7-1.8mm iirc (not accounting for poor tolerances).

The only other things you need to watch for are rivets in floating rotors fouling calipers or the braking surface area on the rotor not quite matching up to the braking surface area on the pads (as brake pads vary in width).

In reality, so long as you don’t use Hayes rotors you will be fine 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Brakes and rotors’ is closed to new replies.