Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Brake/Gear cable gauge
  • Scootash
    Free Member

What gauge is a gear cable? 2mm? Are XT narrower on purpose? I can't get a brand new gear/brake wire to fit through the XT shifter, it's just too narrow. What's going on?

badblood
    Free Member

brake cables are thicker and have different 'stops on them' make sure it is a gear cable you are using and that you can see all the way through the shifter

simondbarnes

Gear 1.2mm, brake 1.6mm

Scootash
    Free Member

This is one of those double-ended cables. You cut one end off to make it a brake cable, the other to make it a gear cable. I can definitely see through the shifter, I've managed to poke a really thin wire through
    quite happily.

I guess I'll go to the LBS and get some gear specific (narrower) cables…

Cheers.

munkster
    Free Member

You cut one end off to make it a brake cable, the other to make it a gear cable.

You sure they aren't both brake cable ends? One that works with vee brake levers (for example) and one that works with road levers (for example)?

singlespeedstu

You cut one end off to make it a brake cable, the other to make it a gear cable.

What you've got there is a brake cable that'll fit either MTB or drop bar levers.

munkster
    Free Member

Jinx! 😉

rolfharris
    Free Member

That'd be a brake cable with road and mtb fittings. It won't fit.

Scootash
    Free Member

Thanks, all. Bought the right cables from the LBS, everything working perfectly now.

Cheers.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Brake/Gear cable gauge’ is closed to new replies.