Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Brake Time
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

Right this little chimp needs some new stoppers for his singlespeed.
    I have so far been looking at;
    Magura Julie HP (seem to get a good review on Bike Radar but not much in the way of user reviews)
    Avid Elixir 5s (not a fan of the juicy brakes so how do these compare?)
    Shimano SLX I would be proper stretching the budget to get these though.
    I thought about Hayes Stroker Trail but have read umpteen bad things about them being a pain.
    Any other ideas/opinions?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You won't go wrong with Maguras of any type. Solid as a rock

monkeychild
    Free Member

Having never used Maguras or know anyone who has used them I was v unsure.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Happy with SLX myself. Nice lever feel and even power delivery. Stock organic pads did not last long though.

akira

Got Elixir 5s, feel nicer and more powerful than Juicys and much easier changing of pads.

genesis
    Free Member

Have Stroker Trails on my jump bike, they were poached off defunct hire bike bits. They're fine tbh, though not as good as my 4 and 6 pot Hopes!

Wookster

I have spome avid elixirs not impresses going back to the shop for avid to have a look only getting one maybe two rides before the lever goes to the bar pants should have gone with shim or m4's! new bike is grounded for christmas 😥

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

Avid elixers are great! So are Hopes and Magura!

Wookster surely you just need them bleeding?

Wookster

No mate four time been done by the LBS works brill for a week or so no issues riding then take it out for a ride and lever pulls to the bar having sat in the shed for a few days nightmare!! Chrismas with out new bike! 😥 still got five though!!!! 😈

monkeychild
    Free Member

Gone for the Julie HPs well worth a punt I think.

LordOnOne
    Free Member

I’ve had two sets of Stroker Trails on previous bikes and currently have the Elixir 5s and Julie HPs. The Julies are the best value, quietest and most reliable (no maintenance at all so far). My review can be found here.

My Elixir rear brake has vibrated to the point of being unusable since I got the bike…it's my summer bike so I'm not too bothered at the moment.

monkeychild
    Free Member

LordOnOne i found your blog whilst googling for the HPs and read about your elixir fun and games. Your review of the Julie was far better than the bikeradar one if I am honest.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Pearoast

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Brake Time’ is closed to new replies.