• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Brake rotors how thin is too thin ?
  • oldfart

Just looked at the brake rotors on my Process , rear one is looking Scarey thin , ordered a replacement , will get my tin hat on waiting for the ” stop dragging the brakes ” comments ! 18 month old Shimano SLX RT66 rotors . 😳

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

One of the manufacturers has a minimum thickness stated in the manual somewhere.

I tend to go for 2/3rds of new thickness.

Get about 2 years out of the ones on my most used bike and i’ve never worn one out on a race bike.

supertacky
    Free Member

1.5mm min on Shimano rotors. Measure with micrometer. Using Metal pads wears them down quicker than resin ones.
    Only noticeable problem with running them right down is increased squeel and tendency to warp with heat build up, perhaps increased lever throw.

snaps
    Free Member

If in doubt change it – this is Stevo from the Whiteroom just after his rear disc failed while decending in the Alps in September, he’d changed the front because it was worn thin but thought the rear would be alright for a few more rides!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Hope say 1.5mm. Watch out for some rotors with some Kevlar pads, they can noticeably dish the braking surface.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Disks wear out? Who knew?

(rushes off to check 15yo disks on MTB tandem…)

Dibbs
    Free Member

18 months!! just shows how gritty the Quantocks are. 🙂

kcal

they wear out?
    Mini rotor on front of the M2, still there 15 years later 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Brake rotors how thin is too thin ?’ is closed to new replies.