Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Which Brake Pads – Superstar, Disco, A2Z, etc .. ?
  • james
    Free Member

Sorry if this has been done to death, couldnt see much on forum searches

Been using superstar semi-metalic/organic and sintered for a good few years now
    The sintered Im happy enough with, at least in the rear in wet to semi-wet conditions
    The organic/semi metalic seem to lose loads of power when wet, so Ive rarely used them in the rear. The front they can work fairly well, though die quicker than sintereds in the rear for me (despite being a bit of a brake dragger)

Looking for something else for drier (with wet interludes_ conditions, ie not winter/late autumn.

Dont really want to spend avid RRP money (though avid organic/sintered pads Ive used have been pretty good)

What are this lot like?
    – Superstar Kevlar (Seeing mixed reviews on superstar site, not 100% sure how accurate all the positive reviews are?)

– Disco brakes semi-metalic, sintered or kevlar?

– Anything by A2Z?

– Whatever happened with that volunteer trial by fibrax?

– Who else does less than OEM pricey pads? (for avid elixir mostly)

james
    Free Member

Also forgot (Ive not tried them) Clarks? Ive heard the sintered pads are probably on a par with the superstar/disco brakes sintereds, but not sure on the others?

Must a few others to consider for less than manufacturers own pads?

mikey74
    Free Member

SS Kevlar: Used them in Whistler to great effect.

Furious

Personally, I like Superstar Kevlar. They felt like I’d upgraded my brakes when I first tried them. Quite a noticable improvement over Superstar sintered. They can wear quite quickly though, but I think this depends on conditions. The first set I used lasted a reasonable time. The second set not so long but it was wetter and riding in the peaks can destroy things quite quickly.

I’ve never had any issues using Superstar pads. Usually next day delivery too.

rocketman
    Free Member

Dont really want to spend avid RRP money (though avid organic/sintered pads Ive used have been pretty good)

Have been in the same situation over the years and gone full circle back to Avid’s aftermarket pads.

Pricey? Yes but for the sake of a few quid I simply CBA to faff around with slightly inferior pads that take an otherwise perfectly OK braking system and add a large portion of shing-shing and will-it-won’t-it uncertainty.

mboy
    Free Member

Got SuperStar Kevlar pads on one bike and they’re pretty average at best.

Got A2Z blue compound pads on the other bike, and they’re night and day better. Loads more bite, but a whole lot of feel too.

FWIW both bikes are running the exact same 180FR 160RR M775 Shimano XT setup. I’ve used A2Z pads for years now after a recommendation by someone else, they’re awesome. The only reason the one bike has Superstar’s in was I was given them for free… When they run out, I’ll buy more A2Z’s.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Which Brake Pads – Superstar, Disco, A2Z, etc .. ?’ is closed to new replies.