Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Brake pad compound choices – I'm confused
  • TroutWrestler
    Free Member

When I first rode in the Alps, disc brakes for MTBs hadn’t been invented. On my first trip to the PDS in the early 2000s, I was on an Inbred with 80mm forks and Deore discs. I didn’t even KNOW I could get different compounds.

I have been getting ready for this years Alpine trip, and looking at the offerings from Superstar, Disco and Uberbike, and TBH, I’m confused.

Which compound do you recommend for Alpine gravity riding (Ad’H, Les Arcs, La Thuile etc)?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Superstar Kevlar (red) are great for that sort of riding if it’s dry. If it’s wet and muddy go with sintered.

I personally find that both (especially the red) benefit from bedding in thoroughly in a clean dry environment.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I was thinking Superstar Organic. I’ve only ever boiled brakes (Shimano XT) twice, both times riding from the top of Chamole to the bottom at Pila. Both times they failed near the wee burn crossing about 200-300 yards before the trail emerges onto the road.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The organic will do the job but I find the Kevlar perform better when pushed hard. Sintered are more durable if you’re riding in really abrasive conditions. I tend not to use organic very often now.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Just done a week in Spain with Ciclo and if its dry on long descents, organics are the way to go. Discs went blue with heat, but the pads were still fine. I used Uberbike ones, but took the standard organic pads as spare. Sintereds, which I took last time, cooked after a brief warm up ride and I fitted the organics I took as back ups, which worked perfectly.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Organics used to be the best for everything except lasting in the wet. For most things Id rather just use them and replace them more often if they need it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Brake pad compound choices – I'm confused’ is closed to new replies.