Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Brake lever not springing back after bleeding.
  • mactheknife

I have had my Shimano XT’s for about a year and i knew they were needing a bleed, so i bought the Epic bleed solutions kit which was a doddle to use. Brakes worked fine after bleeding.

So that was about 2 weeks ago, had the first proper ride out with them today and the rear brake lever does not spring back after pressure is applied. The brakes don’t drag at all its just that they don’t return to their original position.

Have i done something wrong during the bleed process that could have caused this.

Ideas would be great ?? Thanks

creamegg
    Free Member

not 100% sure on how the xt’s work but I’d imagine they rely on a spring to return to normal position. Hasn’t dropped out has it?

mactheknife

Found an old thread on here that is not filling me with joy. LBS is getting them tomorrow, Think they are just still in warranty.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just to double check, did you use mineral oil or dot fluid? Use the wrong one and seals swell and stop levers or pistons returning.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

My slx’s did that towards the end of their days. It’s probably dirt ingress on the lever assembly. I took the lever off the bars and cable opened the res hatch then cleaned it all out with hot water and a bit of muc off or whatever, dried it all off then lube the piston and everything else with mineral oil and reassemble 🙂

They’re on their way to the bin by the sounds of it but you should be able to get them through the worst of winter.

mactheknife

Onzadog – i use the proper Shimano Mineral Oil that came with the bleed kit.

dirk_pumpa – yep i have read that shimano brakes are notorious for not being able to be repaired easily. Ill have a chat with my LBS and see what, if anything can be done as i bought them from there. New brake time i reckon after the winter 🙁

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Mine has done that also, looks ****

mactheknife

Yea Rob, it was your old thread i found. I think Shimano have a 2 year warranty on components so i might be in luck. If it was my fault ill just take the hit and get a new pair 🙁

Are you still using yours??

mrblobby
    Free Member

Should have brought some Avids 😉

rob-jackson
    Free Member

mac – this is the replacement one – as in JUST done it an hour ago!! Which side is broken on yours?

mactheknife

HA, always the way aint it. Mine is the rear one.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Brake lever not springing back after bleeding.’ is closed to new replies.