Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Brake judder casued by wonky wheel bearings?
  • Pieface

I’m getting brake judder on the front wheel. Ruled out the headste and then suspected fork bushings, but this seems Ok. Front wheel has a little play side to side and rocks backwards and forwards a mm or so with the front brake on. All bolts on caliper and disc secure so I guess its the bearings, but I don’t recall this happening before. Is it a likely cause, or is it something iffy with the Maxle?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

is it not movement of the pads? the side to side play is probably bearings tho

giantjason
    Free Member

i have exactly the same issue, and have been trying to work it out over the last few days.

i thought to start with it was the brake pads but on closer inspection ruled this out, as they could be moving that much.

when i hold the brake on and rock the bike backwards and forwards i can see the wheel slightly twist around which i assume is down to the bearings. This also translates into side to side play when pressing the wheel from the side.

hold old is the hub and how much maintenance have you carried out?

Orang-Hutan
    Free Member

I had a Hope C2 caliper fitted to my bike a couple of years ago and the shop fitted the wrong disc, at first everything was ok but as the brake bedded in the judder made the bike unrideable. It was a while before i noticed the pad was not fully lined up with the braking surface of the disc and the judder was caused by the pad riding over the spider. Maybe its sometthing you ought to check.

Pieface

I agree it could be pad movement, is there an easy way to rule this out, I guess a tiny movement their translates to a big movement at the outside edge of the rim, but this movement has only become apparent in the last few months. The movement seems consistent with the wheel pointing straight and side to side, so it may be movement at the pads then transfers to bearings that can’t be detected.

The hubs are no name hubs that I got with the fork. I haven’t done any maintenance in the year since having them, I assume they’re sealed bearings but the plan was alwasy to replace the hub anyway.

My main concern is ruling out the fork bushings and I’m pretty sure I have

Pieface

To Orang Hutan –

One thing is that the caliper is designed for a 183mm rotor (Hope x2) with a 180mm rotor so it leaves a lip on the back of the pad when it runs down (which it is now) but previously this resulted in poor braking at the extremes.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Brake judder casued by wonky wheel bearings?’ is closed to new replies.