Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Brake fade from the cold??
  • brooess
    Free Member

Just got the bike out of the shed to brush the mud off from the STW Swinley mudfest a few weeks ago and rear brake lever (recently come back from Hope for full service) pulled right back to the bar. It was better when I pumped it but when left for a few secs it pulled back to the bar.

Is this just from sitting around in a cold shed unused or could I have a leak somewhere? Can't believe it needs bleeding only 3 months after a full service…

ta

bunnerscj
    Free Member

sounds fecked, checked fluid levels ?, check seals around pistons for leaks ? hose damaged ?

stonemonkey
    Free Member

check pads as well as in are they still there / worn away

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Have you had the bike upside down? sounds like air in the system to me

Bleeding them is dead easy

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Bleed the brake.

Just take the top cap off the lever (master cylinder), half turn on teh blled nipple on the caliper and pump the lever. catch the fliud to stop it going on the pads. keep pumping the lever a few times.

Then top up the master cylinder with 5 dot fluid and pump the lever some more. Tighten up the bleed nipple top up with fliud and put the cap back on.

if thats not it then something in the master cylinder is knackered or the piston in teh caliper. thats if nothing is leaking.

uplink
    Free Member

Then top up the master cylinder with 5 dot fluid

Do not use DOT5 fluid, you need DOT 4 or 5.1 or even 3
    5 is different stuff altogether

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Worn pads? I'd check that first because Swinley eats brakes in the wet. If the pads are low, brakes can get spongy.

coatesy
    Free Member

Could also be sticking pistons,funnily enough, often caused by leaving the caliper sitting in mud for 3 weeks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Brake fade from the cold??’ is closed to new replies.