Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Brake bleed syringe, what can I lubricate it with?
  • Leadfold

The plunger in my syringe is sticking (fnarr, fnarr). What can I lubricate it with, that won’t contaminate the mineral brake fluid I am putting into my Shimano brakes?

nickjb
    Free Member

Mineral brake fluid would be the obvious answer but it’s more likely the seal has swollen due to some reaction with the fluid.

Xylene
    Free Member

My answer was going to be spit, which made me laugh. I looked for a video of someone doing one of those big long spit strings where they suck them back up and found this

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV4ZeNvXfhk[/video]

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The problem is that the seals in the syringes are intended to be used with water based fluids (i.e. blood, and stuff that can be injected into it).

Brake fluid and mineral oil aren’t water so they swell the seals.

So the options are:
    1) Invest in some expensive glass syringes without seals.
    2) Invest in the real bleed kits not epic/ebay copies and hope the manufacturers had proper seals made.
    3) Buy a box of syringes (ebay, pharmacist), they work out pence each and usually last one bleed if you work quickly before the seals swell up.

Tallpaul
    Free Member

The syringes that most bleed kits include are actually single-use disposable syringes not intended for that use.

Bin it and get a new one. If it has has a threaded tip you need a luer-lock syringe.

Northwind

Basically the only interesting bit in most bleed kits is the connector on the end that threads into the brake, everything else is standard- the syringes cost pennies on ebay so I just bought a wee bundle.

Leaving the syringe drawn back slightly so that instead of having to pull it back against suction- which can take the plunger head right off- you’re pushing into the syringe, also helps.

freeagent
    Free Member

Buy a few disposables from either eBay or here – medtree

poah
    Free Member

use what ever is going in the syringe

Leadfold

Thanks folks, bought a pack of five off eBay. Binned my old ones.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Brake bleed syringe, what can I lubricate it with?’ is closed to new replies.