Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Brake bleed hack?
  • paulneenan76
    Free Member

My front brake depresses to the bar, does come back a bit when you flick the lever a few times but im pushing my luck riding on it. I have brake fluid but no bleed kit; anyway I can bodge it or do I need to go and ask the LBs?

jekkyl

what brakes are they?

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Deore M615 I believe.

rocketman
    Free Member
    jekkyl

you probably don’t need a full bleed. Prop the bike up so the line is veritcal. Loosen the brake clamp so that the resovoir is level. Unscrew the little screw on the res. Get some fluid in a small syringe or something similar. Pump the lever, the liquid will bubble and then drop. Fill the res with drops from the syringe. pump the lever again and repeat until it doesn’t bubble and drop.

richmtb

Hard to bodge without a least some plastic syringes and plastic hoses.

If you are going to get that you might as well buy the kit from Epic Bleed Solutions above.

a quick hack if there is a small amount of air in the system is to cable tie the brake lever “on” this lets any air bubbles rise up to the reservoir and should leave the brakes feeling okay until you bleed them properly

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

– then you simply need to open the reservoir filler cap/ screw/ whatever and fill to the brim with fluid, and refit.

… literally no idea why bleeding brake systems is actually a thing at all. Unless you are fitting new brakes (and need to purge the caliper, you can)

…Simply let gravity do it for you.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have brake fluid

Deore M615

Just to make sure you are aware that Shimano brakes don’t use “brake fluid” like cars and other brakes do. They use special Shimano fluid which is mineral oil.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

This is great thanks. And yes, I get the difference between mineral and dot.

Cheers All

paulneenan76
    Free Member

On that note though, the only string I have is to dispense medicine for kids.

chakaping
    Free Member

What Jekkyl said.

You mean syringe rather than string? You could probably do it with a calpol syringe TBH.

rOcKeTdOg

You could probably do it with a calpol syringe TBH

That would certainly quiet them down if they were sqealing or over heating

molgrips
    Free Member

EBay for syringes.

Syringes were top of my Christmas list a couple of years back, so I got about six in a selection of sizes. Best and cheapest present ever. Dead useful in the garage.

belugabob
    Free Member

Whatever your short term fix is, buy a bleed funnel for future – they only cost about £4, and make the whole process so much easier.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Yep iPhone fail, string was syringe lol

Typically my mate would lend me his kit but that’s not possible this week; it will be ordered for future needs, I just need a quick short term fix.

Cheers All

acidchunks

You mean syringe rather than string? You could probably do it with a calpol syringe TBH.

I can tell you from experience that they’re utter shit for dripping fluid into reservoirs. Deores are bled up from the caliper anyway.

OP, the Epic bleed solutions kit mentioned above is what you need. Just follow the instructions and you’ll be laughing.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Brake bleed hack?’ is closed to new replies.