Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Braided hoses for brakes advice please
  • stayhigh

Morning all

Can anyone point me in the right direction for the best deal on Jagwire braided hose and fitting kit for Formula RX brakes please?

I’ve also been happy with Jagwire gear housing which is why I’m looking their brake hose. What about Superstar or Uberbike? Also is it worth spending the extra for Goodridge?

If I’m honest it’s probably more aesthetic than anything else as I don’t ride anywhere near hard enough to merit it. That said any improvement in the braking department can only inspire confidence in the rest of my riding.

djflexure

I have had the Hope ones – they made no discernible difference at all to braking and were a PITA to cut and fit compared to standard. One bit of bike bling that did not work for me.

xyeti
    Free Member

I’d get Goodrige to be fair, there must be some improvement in braking performance, whether you would notice it on a push bike is neglidgeable but they work well in Motorsport applications. As for best place? Usual suspects CRC?

What brakes are you running?

allan23
    Free Member

Uberbike – got some of their Kevlar hoses a while ago. Mine was for Shimano and the Uberbike fittings seem much better than the stock Shimano – re-usable threaded nipples rather than the stupid hammer in things.

Formula are supported, but the shop are helpful if you need to ring and confirm. Blingy coloured hoses too.

andysredmini
    Free Member

The Goodridge are good but only really as a bit of bike bling. I have them on 3 of my bikes but I cant say they perform any better than normal hoses but since when does that stop us wasting money on cool looking bike bits. They are not really any harder to fit than normal hoses and its not exactly something you have to do often.

jambalaya
    Free Member

On Hope, love mine they look the dogs bollix. They where fitted by the shop. For a few quid more they are worth it for the bling alone.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I fitted a set of braided hoses to my Hope Tech M4s.

There was naff all difference in feel, but I had silvery hoses and my bike was a few grammes heavier.

There are better upgrades out there.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I used to fit them to all my bikes, but it seems like OEM hoses (or the brakes themselves) have improved in the meantime. It used to be that you’d squeeze both brakes and the rear would move noticeably more than the front, I’ve barely noticed that in the car park these days let alone on the trails.

I know shimano changed their hoses about 5 years ago.

One advantage of goodridge is they’re a lot tougher, so if you regularly have the kinds of crashes that result in torn or kinked brake hoses they’re an improvement.

That and when brakes were all £300 paying 20% for hose wasn’t so bad, when shimano are <£100/pair and Elixirs almost disposable paying that much on top for hoses isn’t such good value.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Braided hoses for brakes advice please’ is closed to new replies.