Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Bradley Wiggins
  • Merak

I take nothing away from his monumental sporting achievements but watched the ‘JUMP’ this evening.

What a cock.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Don’t be too hard on yourself.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Wow, you were one of very few who spent time watching that shite.

convert

I’m not sure if the TUE saga or prostituting himself to dross TV like this has done more to tarnish him in my eyes. I thought he had higher standards and was too ‘cool’ to do shit like that. I’m also amazed that Britian’s most decorated sportsman needs to cash in so badly.

loddrik
    Free Member

Someone admits to actually watching that shite…?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Is honesty so abhorrent to you?

nealglover
    Free Member

I thought he had higher standards and was too ‘cool’ to do shit like that.

I would hate to be too “cool” to have a laugh and mess about in the mountains for a few weeks.

I’m also amazed that Britian’s most decorated sportsman needs to cash in so badly.

Maybe he just wanted to do it. Why wouldn’t he.
    Get an all expenses paid trip to the Alps for a few weeks to mess about in the snow. AND get paid.

Can’t really see the downside personally.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Getting injured is presumably a downside.

lunge

Getting injured is presumably a downside.

So long as it’s not life changing then not really. He’s not training for anything so a a few knocks and tweaks is not the end of the world for him

mikey74
    Free Member

I watched a bit of that, for the first, and last, time. I didn’t think he came across as a dick at all. It’s fairly obvious he has a pretty dry sense of humour, which probably doesn’t always come across on modern, sound-bite-driven TV.

BadlyWiredDog

Can’t really see the downside personally.

The all-in-one Lycra bodysuits. That would put me off. But I guess a lifetime in pro cycling means it all feels a little familiar.

GrahamS

You don’t watch The Jump you fool.

You fast-forward through all the talkie bits and just watch the sports and injuries.

Good show ruined by too much forced matey bantz

njee20
    Free Member

You don’t watch The Jump you fool.

You fast-forward through all the talkie bits and just watch the sports and injuries.

I did exactly this! Ive always thought Wiggins was trying a bit too hard, this was a continuation of that.

nickjb
    Free Member

He came across ok. He didn’t like the fact that he wasn’t great at it when he is used to winning. I can see why he’d do the show though. Its a few weeks in the snow doing some different sports being coached by pros and a pocket full of cash. Only downside is having to hang out with some reality tv idiots and the risk of injury. I’d do it in a heartbeat but as I don’t think I’ll ever win big brother and my chances of an Olympic gold are fading I don’t think I’ll be asked.

theotherjonv

It’s probably as much the matey bantz that attracts ex-sportspeople to this, IACGMOOH, etc.

Once competition ends, and they retire, then a life that’s previously all been about being here at this time to do exactly this with a group of teammates and coaches around you, laughing, crying, all suffering together – to be cut adrift from that while great for a few weeks soon becomes very difficult. Not for nothing the levels of loneliness and depression in ex-sportspeople is substantially higher than the population, and I know cricketers for example are worse than most because while playing they’re surrounded by teammates and coaches for far more than the normal ’90 minutes’ on a Saturday and then back home. A pro cyclist for sure has his long hours spent alone doing miles in the off season, but I suspect track cyclists are not so different to cricketers in that respect – days and weeks and months of being part of a big structure.

One other thing – they used to criticize Gazza for this sort of face pulling, turns out it was entirely involuntary. Not saying it’s uncontrollable but it’s easy to say don’t do it; maybe there is an element of ‘has to’ for whatever reason. Looks daft, but doesn’t hurt anyone does it?

hammerite
    Free Member

I watch it and like it, even though I can’t stand Davina.

Wiggo has pretty much said it was an opportunity to do something different and learn to do something he could never do as a cyclist (ski trips use different to be a mainstay of off season cycling team building events, but that was when teams were mainly full of just continental riders). Why wouldn’t you do it? Skiing is great and if you can get intensive expert tuition it becomes something else he can do with his family.

Not sure it’s all about money either. Robbie Fowler is absolutely rolling in it as he’s been a very shrewd property investor.

Matt24k
    Free Member

The Jump seems to get a load of media coverage for a TV show that no one views 😉
    If I was a retired elite sportsman, looking to build a broader media persona and was offered a free ski trip, I’d jump at it 😀

DezB
    Free Member

The Skoda advert confuses me. Is it like, trying to say your different and a bit of an individual if you drive a Skoda? Quite amusing if that’s the case.
    Especially using someone who tries to dress like 60s/70s mods did.

theotherjonv

so those that he annoys won’t have to watch him much longer. He’s broken his leg.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38952922

ahwiles
    Free Member

who could possibly have predicted that!

maccruiskeen

Because of this thread and only because of this thread – todays ear worm is the theme from Ski Sunday. And thats torture because its a tune that seemingly never actually ends.

bodgy
    Free Member

@maccruiskeen – Thanks a lot, bud. Ear worm successfully transferred.

maccruiskeen

da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-d-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle

baa ba baaaa baa ba baaaa baa ba baaaa baa ba baaaa baa ba baaaa

doodle ooo do dee do de doodah

baa ba baaaa baa ba baaaa baa ba baaaa baa ba baaaa baa ba baaaa

…………..

da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-d-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-d-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-d-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-d-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-d-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-d-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-d-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-d-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-d-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-d-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-d-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-d-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-d-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-d-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-d-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-d-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-d-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-d-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-d-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-diddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle da-d-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle-iddle

Edukator
    Free Member

Jump is a brilliant concept, take a bunch of third-rate celebs that people love to hate and encourage them to smash themselves up – and I don’t even have to watch it! Win, win, win… .

councilof10
    Free Member

What a cock.

I wasn’t that impressed… Although it did look chilly… I thought that Louis bloke filled his salopettes a lot better.

bodgy
    Free Member

@maccruiskeen – Oh FFS. now you’ve really done it. 🙄

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I really can’t remember it and I’m certainly not going to Google it.
    When I try to remember it, I end up with the theme from Van Der Valk going on in my head.

km79
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOEO_fgG3-I[/video]

growinglad
    Free Member

Hi ain’t any more:

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38952922

*Edit .. Sorry ^^^^ Just noticed someone had already posted his quitting.

nickjb
    Free Member

Hi ain’t any more:

Third post of that link. How many legs has the man got?

growinglad
    Free Member

How many legs has the man got?

If you asked him, I’m sure the answer would be 3 😉

akira

Editing of the shoe didn’t help him, complain about event being rubbish and not wanting to do it and have a strop, then act disappointed when you can’t do it due to injury. He did seem a bit of a spoilt man child though.
    Maccruisken, think you diddled when should have iddled about half way through.

maccruiskeen

Maccruisken, think you diddled when should have iddled about half way through.

Right. I’m just going to have to type all that out again then.

akira

It’s just after a diddle!

highlandman
    Free Member

Wonder if the team doctor signed him off for that therapeutic jump exemption…?

convert

I quite like a bit of ski jumping on Eurosport. I’m torn by being beguiled by the beauty and grace of a good jump and in awe of their balls of steel, especially on the big hills on the four hills over new year, early January. Then I catch 2 minutes of ‘the jump’ and think ‘yep, they look as shit at this as I would’ as some celeb plops over a little noodle of a hummock with a gangly landing of elbows and arse all over the place.

Yet one, the skillful one that celebrate human endeavor at its best that we can only dream of doing, languishes in obscurity on a niche broadcaster and the other is prime time terrestrial viewing.

chrismac

So he has broken his leg, but it doesnt need a cast or any treatment? Am I the only one who finds that a bit odd.

poly
    Free Member

Personally I like the Jump, I think it makes good telly. The programmes are a little protracted, and it is of course formulaic (so like all TV progs I’d limit it to three series to stop it being silly). I presume people who knock it, either have never watched it, or believe TV should only include serious factual TV and high brow drama.

So he has broken his leg, but it doesnt need a cast or any treatment? Am I the only one who finds that a bit odd.

Its not that uncommon. It won’t be broken as in “snapped” it will be a crack/partial break, which with rest will heal itself. Clearly its not smart to do the sort of winter sports they are doing with a weakened bone.

natrix
    Free Member

doesnt need a cast or any treatment?

He’ll be wrapping it up in old jiffy bags (I hear he’s got quite a collection) :mrgreen:

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Yet one, the skillful one that celebrate human endeavor at its best that we can only dream of doing, languishes in obscurity on a niche broadcaster and the other is prime time terrestrial viewing.

A variation of this bugs me whenever I see a program where a presenter is trying something and inevitably doing it badly, while being tutored by an expert that we get to see doing it properly for about 20 seconds beforehand. What’s the point? Is it supposed to be inspiring?

On Countryfile over new year one of the presenters was at Malham Cove. Neil Gresham (I think) was showing her the (literal) ropes. She gave it a good go and struggled up something about as well as you would expect. So an opportunity to show something impressive and inspiring with someone at the top of their game was instead spent showing an amateur point out that it’s really hard, she can’t imagine doing it at the level they do etc etc. Don’t get it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Bradley Wiggins’ is closed to new replies.