Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • BPW this week
  • cide10
    Free Member

Hi all,

Off to bike park wales this week and its forecast to be a bit wet (as Wales often can be). I have only ridden it once but it was lovely and dry. I am also taking a first timer (to BPW) and as i have never ridden it in the wet, i just wondered how it rides and anything we should avoid/be aware of i.e. wet rocks or certain trails. It is his second trail centre. Also do you know if the uplift goes in all conditions?

To add context, we both usually ride single track muddy rooty stuff but very few rock sections so not massively used to them in the wet. We have all the saftey gear.

Cheers

Craig

weeksy

It’s usually pretty good in the wet. Only the horrible Deep Cut/Half Cut which is honestly crap in any conditions anyway.

cide10
    Free Member

Cheers for reply. I have a habit of planning trips as tropical storms hit. my last one was to Scotland when the backlash of a tropicl storm hit us in Aug!

Cant wait to get back up there as the trails are sweet!

soobalias
    Free Member

which day are you going?

is it still 0930 start time?

Conan257
    Free Member

We rode last Monday, in the rain and a lot of wind.

A few days of rain leading up to the ride, although it didn’t rain too bad while we were there. The wind was howling on the top section, and through the gaps on Viscous Valley, although there wasn’t any wind to speak of below the first fire road.

The trails were awesome, there was a few puddles, but nothing too deep. It wasn’t particularly slippy, the roots were rideable without washing out. There was only 1 root that I slipped on, but slipped it every time. At no point was there anything which required walking.

The uplift apparently ran 14 times. We managed 11 runs but not sure when we missed the bus to be honest! I don’t ride with any armour/padding and had no problems at all.

cide10
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Yep, is a 9.30 start i think. I will get there around 10 ish. Heading there Thu & Fri. Wed looks ok but cant get the day off so its Thu & Fri or nothing til next year. Will bring my wet weathers and hope for the best. Loved it last time and cant wait to hit the trails again!

creamegg
    Free Member

ive ridden in the wet and in the dry. You’ll have fun regardless, stop worrying about it

timnwild

No problems in the wet. But maybe think about skipping the last uplift before the lunch break for the drivers at 1pm and getting into the cafe, or you’ll wait 45 mins for a baked potato.

Conan257
    Free Member

Stop at Tesco in town and grab some stuff for lunch.

Will probably be cheaper too. Then sit by the fire to warm up.

weeksy

LOL the time you start to care about saving £3 on a trip to BPW for lunch is the time to give up MTBing.

Conan257
    Free Member

More worried about missing an uplift to stop having to wait for lunch!

Save £3, and get more riding in!!!

onedpete
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ve been several times now and have lucked in with dry n sunny conditions all but twice!! Time before last was so dry n dusty it was actually a bit sketchy on some of the faster trails, had a few drifts moments on sixtapod!! Blacks however were awesome! I was up there last Sunday after a week of proper ‘weather’ but it all rode great, plenty grippy, few splashy sections, but all the rock is surprisingly tenacious. Came into the rock drop on pork belly a bit hot n heavy, and thought I was a goner on the landing, but stuck like glue!! Basically blues n reds are fine whatever the weather, few roots on vicious valley , but easy enough to double up or skirt around. Blacks not too bad, but more mud as they are more natural. Half cut is a shit in the wet, I had to eject after my rear wheel slid out putting me off line and heading for a cuddle with a tree, I was running an ardent up back though!! It’s very clay…ey and steep, defo one best left for a dry day unless you like a challenge! 😆 Enjoy, it’ll be super fun as always.

onedpete
    Free Member

Oh, and they’re running winter uplift schedule now for some reason, 9.30 til 4.15, bit of a bummer as it still costs the same and there’s still plenty of light at the mo….you’d think they’d wait until the clocks go back really….get there as early as you can mate.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘BPW this week’ is closed to new replies.