• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by gp.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • BPW or Afan for group of beginners
  • gp
    Free Member

Hi, I’m organising a ride for some friends, all can ride road bikes well but most haven’t done any (or very much) mountain biking before. I’d love to go to BPW myself, but I’m wondering if the group would have more fun at Afan? Would BPW be intimidating/scary for beginners? I thought that rolling down the blues and being driven back up would be great fun for them….

Ta.

wrecker
    Free Member

Both. Either.
    As they’re roadies, it might be nice for them to do some off road climbing?

martinhutch

BPW gives them less chance to ride the legs off you on the uphills.

soobalias
    Free Member

Afan
    Penhydd or Blue Scar, give them all a chance to ride off road with ample opportunity to stop and be sociable
    Y Wal or Whites in the afternoon, if they are enjoying it

dragon
    Free Member

Cwmcarn would be a better bet IMO.

gp
    Free Member

haha yes one of them is a super fit roadie and is very keen to ‘rip my mtb legs off’ so that was one motivation!

looking at some pics of Penhydd it doesn’t look that different to how some of BPW looks (at least on google) – so i think the uplift may be appealing for the less fit if technicality is similar….

Anyway, being selfish I want to take mr roadie down some blacks 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Nowt to stop you riding up at BPW and it has the most ways down, I’d do that.

wrecker
    Free Member

haha yes one of them is a super fit roadie and is very keen to ‘rip my mtb legs off’

Take him up whites level.

martinhutch

Yep, Whites Level climb could be a bit of a, well, leveller.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yep White’s then – Penhydd and Wall Climb are too featureless and it’ll let him get into a good ‘Roadie Rhythm’.

wrecker
    Free Member

Good choice. It’s a great ride.
    If you really wanted to prove a point you could ride Blade but they’d probably not ever want to ride with you again….

JEngledow
    Free Member

How about the Forest of Dean, I’ve recently been with a group of roadies and all had fun, there’s a nice little cafe and the choice of blue and/or red loops.

gp
    Free Member

Thanks all, we’re closer to BPW so I think that is my mind made up…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘BPW or Afan for group of beginners’ is closed to new replies.