Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • BPW
  • thegman67

Heading down from Glasgow two weeks tomorrow. Have been watching some vids and notice most people are on long travel trail bikes,I am taking my Giant Glory with my 180’s up front and starting to wonder if I am going to regret taking the Glory.

weeksy

Nopes, perfect for there.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Only been once but from what I saw there is enough variation in trail type to be able to get the most out of any bike that you choose to take.

chiefgrooveguru

I wouldn’t take a downhill bike if I had a decent trail bike. If I only had a downhill bike I wouldn’t want to be running super tacky dual plies – one of my mates was on our first visit and he had to do a lot more pedalling than the rest of us!

I_Ache
    Free Member

You will be fine on the glory. There are some bigger features that im sure some people would hit on hardtails but for mortals I don’t think a DH bike is overkill. I minced down on my Enduro Evo and towards the end of the day would have loved a DH bike.

Edit, FWIW I had super tacky dual plys on and didn’t find it a disadvantage over my mates trail oriented tyres.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Glory would be fine but what else you got?

burnie
    Free Member

Assuming that you’re using the uplift you’ll be glad of the extra travel by the end of a long day! Most probably ride trail bikes as that is all they have (or they’re riding to the top).

thegman67

Thanks guys,my full Susser is a TranceX but only got 127mm out back and I am of the larger build

Clobber
    Free Member

Our team consisted of:
    100/100mm Anthem 29er
    110/120mm Camber 29er
    140/140mm La Pierre 26er
    140mm Buzzard Hardtail 29er

We all had a great time

burnie
    Free Member

You will be happy on either, as I_Ache said, it’s doable (but a lot of work) on a hardtail. If I was in your position I would take the big bike as you will be glad of the extra travel by the end of the day.

burnie
    Free Member

burnie
    Free Member

alsoran
    Free Member

Do not take the glory, on the vids people are riding on trail bikes because dh bikes are overkill there.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Ok now I know the choice I would go for trance. 😀

davosaurusrex

Was there on Saturday, I was on my Turner Sultan 29er and spent some of the the day chasing two mates on Turner DHRs (we’re all rich down South, streets of gold etc). Nothing in it on the blues and reds, could keep them in sight on some blacks but on Dai Hard, Deep Navigation etc they left me for dead which was half down to the bikes and the other half because they’re better riders. I’d have said if you’re planning on sticking to blues and reds as many people do then take the trail bike as the DH bike has no advantage and you need to be fitter to maintain momentum. If you’re going to do a decent number of blacks (I would, blues and reds are great but can get a bit samey) then take the Glory

cookeaa

My last trip there I took my HT, I was pedalling up though.

Previous Trip was uplifting so I took my DH bike which was great on the Rougher lines but OTT on the fast and pumpy blues…

I don’t have an inbetween bike, I reckon a lighter, Slacker 130 – 150mm bike with gears to pedal up as well as down would be perfect for BPW…

DH bike for an uplift day will be fine, might be a bit much in some places, but will be beneficial in others.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘BPW’ is closed to new replies.