• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by benz.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • BP and gov help
  • onehundredthidiot

Should the gov support a multi billion dollars profit industry? When they can’t fund policing, health service and education.

Harry_the_Spider

A company in which most of our pension funds are heavily invested?

teef
    Free Member

What government help?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Amazing isn’t it, how those who are the most vehemently opposed to a safety net for others are the first out with the begging bowl for themselves.

benz
    Free Member

Yes.

The govt should support by looking at taxes on profits – reduce them from some which are 80% plus tax rates. Any other industries have to contend with that I wonder?

Stable fiscal regime would assist with supporting future investment decisions too.

Yes, profits are sometimes high but the costs and risks are equally high.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Amazing isn’t it, how those most vehemently opposed to reading the news are first to spout their opinions on it

benz
    Free Member

I should add that without this support we all might see reduced tax revenue longer term (no investment) which will have to be funded by…reduced services and those paying taxes.

Reduce taxes in short term to give tax revenue longer term.

Garry_Lager

They were the biggest corporate tax payer in the UK for years, so I’d think about it tbh.
    [They’re still top 10 but dropped quite a bit after the Gulf of Mexico accident.]

onehundredthidiot

News tonight said there were no plans to reduce the work in the fields, the 300 lay off were planned 6 months ago.
    Does this mean oil is the new banking? Great dependency on it. Even though a lot of the taxable profits may not feed our coffers. Yet taxpayer pays out?

gwaelod
    Free Member

Oil industry…sunset industry.. Should be subsidising green industry/manufacturing.

benz
    Free Member

I don’t know if subsidising is the correct term. Reducing a relatively high tax burden may be more correct.

Some fields discovered prior to 1992 are paying tax of ~80% on profits, those post 1992 ~60%. Is this common outside O&G industry? Anyone?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘BP and gov help’ is closed to new replies.