• This topic has 55 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by kcr.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Boycott Nike?
  • aracer
    Free Member

Well you wouldn’t want to give your money to a company who supports a known drugs cheat would you?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Boycott would be hard as it must have been years since I bought Nike stuff.
    What about Dwayne chambers sponsors? (Insert more names)

tragically1969
    Free Member

What mikewsmith said, also I don’t see anybody offering to throw all their Oakleys away…..

oldgit
    Free Member

Or Treks.

Wookster

Boycott really? If you’re going to boycott what about Nestlé, or banks investing in arms companys or human rights abusing countries!

hora
    Free Member

Bin your iphones first. Seeing how they like to take money but not pay their proper share.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Well you wouldn’t want to give your money to a company who supports a known drugs cheat would you?

To be honest I couldn’t care less.

I don’t think I own anything by Nike, but that’s not the same as having a brand flounce.

captaindanger

I boycotted them when they were using sweatshops to produce their wares

carlphillips
    Free Member

oh the shame, I’ve got a pair of nike 6.0 flip flops… how will i show my choice of footwear off at the beach now!
    err actually I couldn’t give a flying fek.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Odd. All these people that don’t care, but I bet if he was sponsored by Tesco there’d be no toys in anyone’s pram…..

wwaswas

nike 6.0 flip flops

my, what small feet you have. I have some 9.5 flip flops 😉

MSP

I won’t boycott them, but it does damage the brand in my view, so they would need to be doing something better than their competitors for me to consider them.

wwaswas

it does damage the brand in my view

If you look at the list of riders who’ve drugged and their sponsors I doubt there’s a bike company in the world that escapes..

bigblackshed

wwaswas – Member
    it does damage the brand in my view

If you look at the list of riders who’ve drugged and their sponsors I doubt there’s a bike company in the world that escapes..

Nail on the head. For a while cycling was the number 1 sport for drug cheats. I’ll keep it zipped about what is happening now…….

Rorschach
    Free Member

Yeah. That’ll work 🙄

Jamie
    Free Member

I use Nike stuff for running, so that’s ok…right?

MSP

Most of them show some attrition when it comes to light, most end their sponsorship of the guilty. Nike just seems to consider it business as usual.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Not so fussed about Nike sponsoring rich boys using drugs. It would be best if they didn’t though.

I’m more concerned about whether Nike use (abuse) cheap labour in Eastern/Asian sweat-shops.

I’ve not bought anything branded Nike for years purely by coincidence, but I would specifically ‘boycott’ the company if they were exploiting adults and/or children.

nealglover
    Free Member

Odd. All these people that don’t care, but I bet if he was sponsored by Tesco there’d be no toys in anyone’s pram…..

I still wouldn’t care ?

Don’t see why I should, it’s not like the sponsors were the ones that were cheating is it.

piemonster

As others have said, if you’re going to boycott a company because they have sponsored a drugs cheat. You’ll struggle to buy anything from a major brand.

Might not be a bad thing though, and Oakleys are overprice w&*k

DezB
    Free Member

Boycott Nike?

No. My kid likes their football boots.

How about BOYCOTT THE TOUR DE FRANCE??? (or any other crappy road races where they all have to cheat cos everyone else is)

ac282

Doesn’t trek come out of this looking worse than Nike?

Look at what they did to Greg.

traildog
    Free Member

Or Treks.

I boycott Trek because of what they did to Greg Lemond. All he did was say Armstrong should not have been working with Ferrari if he was, and he got his livelyhood attacked.

wwaswas

Lance owns quite a lot of shares in Trek I doubt they’ll be pulling sponsorship…

BoardinBob

Middle Class Problem of the day 8)

bigG
    Free Member

Might not boycott Nike but I have noticed that the price of anything Livestrong branded has plummeted on eBay. Bet Oakley, Giro etc are all a bit pissed.

joao3v16
    Free Member

I still wouldn’t care ?

Don’t see why I should, it’s not like the sponsors were the ones that were cheating is it.

And what if Nike were giving millions of dollars to international criminal gangs trading in sex slaves?

It’s not like Nike are directly responsible, so it’s ok to let them carry on ‘funding’ it?

I think people should care a bit more about these issues, then they might not be so prevalent.

Any business, large or small, national or international, should be responsible & accountable for what they’re connected with otherwise everything gets eroded to the lowest common denominator.

footflaps

Why not Boycott Channel 4 for showing the TdF or France for hosting the race, or America for hosting LA?

wwaswas

Any business, large or small, national or international, should be responsible & accountable for what they’re connected with otherwise everything gets eroded to the lowest common denominator.

Interestingly, in Germany now there’s not many companies interested in cyclign sponsorship after the whole T-Mobile thing – they see the risk of their brands beign damaged as to high compared with any possibel rewards that they might get by being associated with success.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Interestingly, in Germany now there’s not many companies interested in cyclign sponsorship after the whole T-Mobile thing – they see the risk of their brands beign damaged as to high compared with any possibel rewards that they might get by being associated with success.

Wiggins said similar earlier this summer, unlike the French or Spanish who viewed a 2 year ban as a profesional hazard if he was dopeing that would be his livelyhood gone as he’d be worthless as a brand in the UK.

piemonster

Oakley might be ok

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13064/Oakley-standing-behind-Armstrong-for-now.aspx

If you like overpriced w&*k that is

njee20
    Free Member

I can’t believe people really care. My opinions on certain members is changing I must say!

I said it the other day, but why now. Surely to be so certain of his guilt you didn’t need a dossier of written testimony, why didn’t you boycott Nike in 1999, or if Hincapie et al now come forward and say they were pressured into false testimony will you do a swift 180 again? 🙄

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

[quoteI still wouldn’t care ?
    Don’t see why I should, it’s not like the sponsors were the ones that were cheating is it.[/quote]

Exactly. But STW loves a good Tesco bashing and wouldn’t miss that opportunity if it were available. ]

footflaps

I really not that bothered if people take drugs in sport, let alone who sponsors them. Although if you were racing clean and kept losing to drugs cheat, I can see you’d be a bit miffed by the whole thing…

jambalaya
    Free Member

@aracer – so what nike products do you buy that you could stop buying ?

yunki
    Free Member

aracer
    Free Member

I said it the other day, but why now. Surely to be so certain of his guilt you didn’t need a dossier of written testimony, why didn’t you boycott Nike in 1999

Why now? Because all the evidence has finally been presented and Nike still have their head in the sand. I don’t think it was all that unreasonable of them to not walk away before this point. That and the phrasing of their statements which appear to have been written by Lance himself. It’s the latter which gives me the impression that they’re actually endorsing the use of drugs in sport – not a good position for a sporting goods company IMHO.

100mphplus
    Free Member

I’ve been boycotting them for years along with other corporates whose ethics are disgraceful to say the least.

jfletch
    Free Member

Mmmmmm.. Conflicted

I have a pair of familiar looking sunglasses from a far eastern ebay seller and the arms are branded “Livestrong” on the inside.

Do I now have to:

a) Ditch the sunnies as I don’t support drugs cheats

or

b) Ease my concience slightly because although I chose to buy sunnies of dubious source (I had to, everyone else was doing it, it was the only way to suceed), in doing so I have deprived Lance of some more phony cash.

Teifiterror
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Boycott Nike?’ is closed to new replies.