Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Boulder, Colorado
  • chairborne
    Free Member

I am being forced to go here on a climbing trip, but will be smuggling a bike on the plane.

I'm madly googling for trails but all I can find are ones that look like towpaths and pages of confusing legislation telling where I can't ride.

Has anyone been? Where's the good stuff? Can you recommend a map?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Been to colorado, but not boulder, and there was plenty of trails. Two things to do are to look up on mtbr.com – they have dedicated sections to different spots in the the world where riders can post up rides, so worth checking in over there, then also hook into local bike shops when you land.

Rickos
    Free Member

You could go and see Mork and Mindy.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Went through it on a mtb trip in 92. My memory is that there wasn't much riding around – too many golf clubs/private residences or similar. Pretty town though.

hainey
    Free Member

My significant other is from Boulder and the times i have been there we've been biking but a bit away from Boulder. I will try and find out where is good in the area for you. The foothills right outside Boulder don't offer any MTBing from what i remember.

metalheart
    Free Member

Go speak to a local bike shop when you get there, there is definitely riding there abouts.

This link courtesy of Full Cycle website:

http://www.comtb.com/index1280.shtml

HTH.

Gee76
    Free Member

We went a couple of years ago and though you may need to hire a car to get about you can quickly get to some good stuff on the front range.

White Ranch was quite good and then there is some more rocky and interesting stuff around Red Rocks Stadium IIRC. Sure local bike shops in boulder will be more than helpful. We stayed with friends in Golden and also up in Silverthorne and had local guiding as a result.

The Colorado Trail was also fun and if you feel adventurous then you can head over the rockies to Utah onto Fruita and Arches/Moab for some slickrock and porcupine rim action :o)

Depending when you go some of the higher ski type resorts may still have some snow btw!!.

Enjoy… jealous!!!

Clockwork667
    Free Member

<Looks out of window in Golden, CO> When are you coming over? the trails are a real mess right now, nothing is rideable.

For Boulder area trails, this should help Bouder Mtn Bike Alliance Good people.
    Also some good riding to be had just north of Boulder in Lyons.

If you have transport then a short trip down highway 93 will get you to Golden, so many amazing trails.

Jeffco open space trails (best read up on the rules of the trial also)

Don't forget to pack your extra set of lungs, pretty much every trail starts at over a mile above sea level.

Enjoy.

0pt1cal
    Free Member

just back from 1 week skiing in Colorado and a week biking in Moab. We were also staying just along the road from Boulder with friends and by his accounts there is plenty of good riding on the front range.

Still plenty of snow on the ground this weekend though same in Utah…with all the shuttles out of action. Still managed all the classic routes though.

A above check out the front range on mtbr.com.

chairborne
    Free Member

Lots of leads there, cheers all. I suspected that there wasn't going to be any "roll out of the door" trails…. local knowledge will have to be tapped.

italspark
    Free Member

ditto white ranch……..as an amusing side trip, you can play spot the black person…its wasnt voted the kkk,s favorite town for nothing

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

I lived in Boulder last year, and I can say the best advice is head to Golden or Lyons, either are 20 minutes drive from Boulder. Best trail on the front range (in my opinion) is Hall ranch in Lyons. Its best ridden as an out and back, and its one of the most technical climbs you ever will ride!
    From Boulder, there is Betasso preserve loop, Walker ranch, and Marshall mesa. Non of them are fantastic, but they are great fun.

on a side note, depending when you're going, your best bet might be to head up to Nederland. the RTD bus leaves from Boulder and gives you 3000 feet of vertical to play with to get back down to Boulder. Magnolia road has some amazing downhills from it, and if you enquire at a local shop I'm sure they'll point them out!

Anyway, have fun – the climbing in Eldorado canyon is world class!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Opt1cal .. mm where in Colorado were you skiing? we have been back a week after a 10 day trip to Winter Park! awesome place love it. Can't wait as well July we are back to Co and off to Boulder to visit a family friend for 2 weeks of MTbing shenanigans, including a weekend in Crested Butte! let us know how you get on.

chairborne
    Free Member

I am looking forward to the climbing bit, though I suck at it. Last year I went with workmates on another "climbing" trip up the valley from Chamonix. I got some stiff stares from my fellow mini bus passengers when a massive bike bag was slid up the central aisle on the morning of departure.

0pt1cal
    Free Member

Mchick I was at Winterpark with the family. Great for the kids and some good skiing at Mary Jane. I was desparate to get up to Utah, but really enjoyed my time on the slopes this year. Good times! 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Opt1cal .. bet you were there the same time we were (10-20th), we staying winter Park Mtn Lodge it's awesome! HAd an awesome time (3rd time there) despite it being their worst winter in 20 odd years!!!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Boulder, Colorado’ is closed to new replies.